Derby County v Grimsby Town

Day

Play the kids? Not at all, they have tougher opponents in the Premier League 2 plus the EFL Trophy now. 

I'm not usually one for cup runs but this year is slightly different.....we drew Grimsby. We must win. We must not lose as my messages can't take another defeat to them.

I beg of you Mr Pearson, strongest team possible, after this round play the tea lady up top if you like but Tuesday night we need to deflate those blow up haddocks, forget Mighty Mariners, we want Mardy Mariners as they head back up the motorway with their tails between there legs. Let them sing when they're fishing not when they're winning.

No more if this Will Hughes on the bench crazy ideas either, The Milky Bar kid can lead us to cup victory. He must start. We must win.

Carson

Christie

Keogh

Shackell

Lowe

Blackman

Bryson

Hughes

Russell

Ince

Bent

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do but they also have 3 away games on the bounce now so can't see them bringing many more for a cup game they have little chance of winning (I say), Wycombe on Saturday then Colchester on Tuesday, will test the purse strings of the best of em. 

Won't be bothering with this one,Barnsley away the more important game for me.

Means more to the Cod heads than it does to me,but no doubt the texts and emails will come through should we embarrass ourselves again in the first round.

1 hour ago, David said:

Play the kids? Not at all, they have tougher opponents in the Premier League 2 plus the EFL Trophy now. 

I'm not usually one for cup runs but this year is slightly different.....we drew Grimsby. We must win. We must not lose as my messages can't take another defeat to them.

I beg of you Mr Pearson, strongest team possible, after this round play the tea lady up top if you like but Tuesday night we need to deflate those blow up haddocks, forget Mighty Mariners, we want Mardy Mariners as they head back up the motorway with their tails between there legs. Let them sing when they're fishing not when they're winning.

No more if this Will Hughes on the bench crazy ideas either, The Milky Bar kid can lead us to cup victory. He must start. We must win.

Carson

Christie

Keogh

Shackell

Lowe

Blackman

Bryson

Hughes

Russell

Ince

Bent

Bit of a contradiction there

Grimsby have some experienced players in their ranks albeit at a lower level. I know a couple of the midfielders well as up until this summer they both formed the middle for York City. Luke Summerfield is a ratter and he can break up play and pass well. James Berrett also can knock the ball about well if given time, especially on a pitch like the iPro. Interestingly both are well known in the lower leagues for smashing in free kicks from outside the area. I remember being at Bootham Crescent last season in the JPT v Bradford where Berrett curled in an absolute peach.

I think set pieces will be something that Grimsby will definitely be looking to exploit and they are well capable of doing that with the players they have.

Ashley Williams is another ex-York player and a winger/forward who can be a danger in short cameo bursts chipping in with the crosses and one or two goals. He has mainly plied his trade in the conference though although he did spend the last couple of seasons at Daggers who ended up back in the conference after their relegation last season.

Omar Bogle is the striker I like the best as he is both strong and physical and has an eye for goal.

Scotty Vernon the ex Aberdeen stalwart is also a danger as is the new lad poached from conference south champions last season Tom Bolarinwa and Kayden Jackson who signed from Barnsley and previously had been on loan at Wrexham.

You'll know all about ex Ram Ben Davies and Josh Gowling is the only other player I know a bit about although he was sent off yesterday so i'm not sure if he'll be available or whether he might with it being a different competition.

The codheads will bring their usual numbers, they are always well supported and well vocal. My favourite memory of going there as an away fan was with Torquay where I had a bucket load of vegetables thrown on my head from over an adjoining wall! British footy - you can't beat it! :lol:

Also, if you can scour the internet for an absolute classic fishy forum rant by Poojah made a few years ago now then it might bring a smile to your face! Quality.

I think Grimsby will be there for the taking should we use width as I think in the middle they are competitive however without wanting to sound disrespectful I think Derby will emerge comfortable 3-1 winners. Grimsby have enough quality to nick a free kick but I don't think they are the type of aggressive side who will open us up too often or have too much possession.  Again though, depends on the selection also by Nigel.

Grimsby deserve to be in the football league and i'm pleased they finally managed it after a good few years away. If you think getting out of the Championship is tough then spare a thought for the conference teams. It's an ex-league clubs graveyard down there.

A nice early chance to build a bit of confidence in front of goal and I hope we start a mix of first teamers who need the minutes and a few under 23s. 

I'm hoping Martin starts and rattles in a hat-trick - will do his confidence a lot of good.

Has anyone heard yet if all the stands will be open? If not I fancy getting moved to South or East Stand so we can make some noise.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

If not I fancy getting moved to South or East Stand so we can make some noise.

Wouldn't go to the East Stand then, had to get my compass out during the game yesterday, thought it was the West Stand. 

Sith Happens

Well just booked my tickets, decided i couldnt wait until the villa game to go again. Hope we do see a few changes to give some players like lowe a chance.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Well just booked my tickets, decided i couldnt wait until the villa game to go again. Hope we do see a few changes to give some players like lowe a chance.

I would think it won't be the same team as Pearson has said as much in his Brighton post match interview  

Sith Happens
Just now, curtains said:

I would think it won't be the same team as Pearson has said as much in his Brighton post match interview  

we should have enough to beat them, and it gives some players a chance to stake their claim.

10 hours ago, David said:

Carson

Christie

Keogh

Shackell

Lowe

Blackman

Bryson

Hughes

Russell

Ince

Bent

Don't forget the u23s have that european competition too.

1 hour ago, AmericanRam said:

Will there be Matchday Chat for this one @David ?

We're going to carry on with match threads for the next few games and see how it goes. As the forum has grown Matchday Chat isn't really working that well and proving difficult to moderate, arguments kick off and I having to trawl through the logs is a real pain in the arse. 

6 hours ago, angieram said:

A nice early chance to build a bit of confidence in front of goal and I hope we start a mix of first teamers who need the minutes and a few under 23s. 

I'm hoping Martin starts and rattles in a hat-trick - will do his confidence a lot of good.

Has anyone heard yet if all the stands will be open? If not I fancy getting moved to South or East Stand so we can make some noise.

I'm quite noisy in the east stand .. In a polite way of course (Mr and Mrs sucking on a lemon 3 seats along permitting ) 

Archived