Derby County v Grimsby Town

Day

10 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

A big part of me wants to see the back of Martin.....................but if he is what we are relying on then a mid table finish at best is what we will get.

What, just like the 3 season's he's been here for???????? Got to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

What, just like the 3 season's he's been here for???????? Got to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard!

There have been plenty like it recently.

1 hour ago, jono said:

@Tony Le Mesmer I have really enjoyed your posts. I have always been a bit quiet about my footballing past so it's nice to see another convert coming in. ( I grew up in south Manchester with a granddad as a fervent red and spent formative years watching Hill, Coppell, Pearson and others .. Saw Charlton and Best just once ) I started my DCFC adventure 20 years ago when we moved to this great city. Managed a few games every year until 3 years ago, packed in the cigs and rewarded myself with a season ticket. ... I feel like I've got my youth back. The banter, the "sage"analysis, the numpties, the ups and downs and there is nothing like knowing each and every player on the pitch, their moods,  card tricks, falabilities and moments of brilliance.   The ball in the back of the net at live game ( can't beat it ) and sharing that with fellow fans. The local camaraderie and so much more. 

my only sadness is that I don't have the track record with Derby County because I am a Johnny come lately, but as a gesture of solidarity I gave my losing 1976 FA semi final programme to my plumber. Just felt it was a symbolic gesture to say ..although I still follow Man U, I am first of all a RAM 

Thanks for the kind words jono. Try and keep this as short as i can :p Hey, it's a bizarre social media world out there which is why I don't use facebook / twitter / other platforms and not used to composing snappy / to the point posts. Trying though. First of all it doesn't matter about what anyone else thinks only you. If you want to go and support Derby for whatever reason and so you did, then it's because you wanted to do it and it is for yourself. The background and history you have, as each of us fans have, even folk who were born, bred and raised in one town/city and with one club is all a part of you / them and shouldn't be something to keep quiet about.

I love hearing stories and peoples tales, it's interesting. People support clubs for all sorts of reasons and it's surprising how many 'fans' out there do end up following one club when they are younger then move away and life circumstances at a later date brings them to the door of another club where they stay and grow old being a convert.

As an example, I worked in the South West for about 3 months and went to a Torquay game for a laugh and ended up spending the next 7 years or so travelling up and down the country as a well respected and invaluable core member of their exclusively small band of 'yellow army' singers despite having absolutely zero connection with Torquay / Devon or whatever. Random. I gave it all up as I grew disillusioned of how the club was being run / fans taken for granted and just pissed off with the lacklustre apathy of lower league football clubs towards their fanbase.

I chose to support Derby full time this season as I've lived in Derbyshire for the last 12 years or so, am sick to the back teeth of lower league club apathy and ridiculous prices for what you get and after 25 years of it I want better for myself and my kid and because of her being from Derbyshire born and bred (i'm from North Yorkshire originally but lived East and South) I want a local club and not a Man City or for her to be plastic. Chesterfield was a no go as it's just run by muppets who are as unprofessional as York, Torquay and others of that ilk. It's frying pan and fire. Only one other option and here I am. I know DCFC have got millions to fritter away on staff and that but God they treat you so much more like a human being than most lower league clubs and if i'm honest i'm loving it. Plus with a ST i'm paying only about an extra 3 or 4 quid than the walk up for some conference football. It's a no brainer. It's a life change and off we go.

Great post jono and an interesting read.

The End

Archived