Derby County v Brighton

Jimbo Ram

If I'm honest I'm not very happy with what I saw today. I understand that things such as births and injuries can't be helped but I don't think Pearson did himself any favours today with his team selection in response to that.

We had no width on the left side, needed Russell playing instead of Johnson. Hughes should have started and in the middle of the park, not on the left like Pearson had him to begin with when he came on. We missed a controlling presence in the centre of the park.

Blackman, Ince and Bent played well when we actually got the ball to them which was nowhere near enough. Still, early days so lets hope he sorts it out. I give it 5 matches before we're back to 4-3-3 with Martin up front. Whether that'll be a good thing or not I'm not sure.

I've done some more thoughts over here if you're interested:

http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/derby-county-0-brighton-0.html

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I appreciate Scott Carson is a good keeper, his failure to come out for corners puts us under pressure (at least three had to be scrambled away from close range).

Also his kicking is embarrassingly poor. He kicks for touch more often than Jonny Wilkinson.

This is not a new phenomenon. It was the same last year.

Hope the massive training team can work on this.

Am I the only one thinking a draw with Brighton while we were only running at 60% is a good thing?

We can only get better, NP knows now what we need to work on and we have a great opportunity Tuesday night to do just that.

Another positive - Defensively I think we look quite solid! To survive that sort of onslaught took a lot from our back 5, and special mention goes to Carson despite his poor distribution, he actually made some great saves and got us the point imo.

I am looking forward to Fozzy being back in the team where his attacking threat could provide valuable assistance with whoever plays LM with him, plus he's a step up from Baird especially at LB.

The midfield is what didn't tick for us yesterday, and now NP can tell the players who played what they should be doing instead of what they did do.

It will improve and we will get better and more confident - patience my friends, we have a new gaffer and a new system, let the players adapt.

One last note- Hughton could tell if we went at them like we did in the first 10-15 they were in for a stomping especially with their make shift CB etc, so piling his team forward and not giving us a sniff at their back four really worked for them and at the same time scared us by the looks of it!

A draw against a promotion rival all in all is a good point. Now we move onward and upwards to try and get this right.

Up the Rams.

Having been at the game yesterday it felt very much like deja vu in the ways some of the usual suspects were playing - Carsons dreadful kicking, Keogh flapping every time a ball came near him, Ince anonymous after the first five minutes and Johnson just beyond awful. When we did attack down the flanks we were ponderously slow in getting people forward in support and until Hughies and the others came on we offered virtually no goal threat. It was quite dispiriting tbh - the formation clearly isn't going to work with the group of players we currently have, and with NP not known to be a fan of 433 I wonder how it's going to change. 

That said, we took a point from a side who are going to be thereabouts again this season while playing poorly and there's plenty of time for Nigel to get things sorted, so onwards and upwards. 

7 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

If I'm honest I'm not very happy with what I saw today. I understand that things such as births and injuries can't be helped but I don't think Pearson did himself any favours today with his team selection in response to that.

We had no width on the left side, needed Russell playing instead of Johnson. Hughes should have started and in the middle of the park, not on the left like Pearson had him to begin with when he came on. We missed a controlling presence in the centre of the park.

Blackman, Ince and Bent played well when we actually got the ball to them which was nowhere near enough. Still, early days so lets hope he sorts it out. I give it 5 matches before we're back to 4-3-3 with Martin up front. Whether that'll be a good thing or not I'm not sure.

I've done some more thoughts over here if you're interested:

http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/derby-county-0-brighton-0.html

I don't have any critisism for his team choice or set up except to have seen Hughsey in the line up from word go. He is a new man learning about the players and the chemistry with his own ideas in the mix as well, but podgey I reckon you are more than right about the width .. We played 4 across the middle but then didn't use them nearly enough. Blackman might have continued to show promise if the ball got to him but his head went down. Some of this must be down to Carsons distribution and the lack of ambition from Bryson and Hendrick ... Anyway .. Early days. 

1 hour ago, Ram On Toast said:

Am I the only one thinking a draw with Brighton while we were only running at 60% is a good thing?

No, you're not. I'd say only two of Brighton's 5 shots on target really troubled us and we had just as many chances as them to nick all 3 points.

Brighton weren't at their best either with their injury situation either, but they're still a decent side. Cobbling together a weird starting XI and earning a point against Brighton probably won't be considered a bad result come the end of the season.

Just watched the highlights - looked like we had a few good chances in the first half, but Christ I've no idea how Brighton didn't score at least one of those chances towards the end.

Either way a point against Brighton is a good result for me.

Only just been arsed to post as I was pissed off straight from the starting 11. 

Fair enough 442. If that's what he wants then whatever.  But I've seen 2 or 3 years of 442 with Hendrick and Bryson and they never work. They play in a line, they both drop deep. They are short ranged passers. No wonder we got deeper and deeper. Hughes isn't just the best midfielder at Derby. He's the best in the league. And amazingly he's the best tackler we have. Yes, including Johnson.

If Ince is going to play there then he's going to have to move more. It wasn't a free role. He stood in the same spot. 

Baird is totally right footed. Passes on the inside every time

Johnson.... 

Bent did well. Cyrus gave a few daft fouls and was too greedy. Blackman alright. 

The thing is all our best footballers were handed the 433 by Mac and embraced it. Then Clement brought players that don't fit. 

So Pearson has a choice to make. If he goes 2 lines of 4 (and they were flat lines!!! Hideous 442!!!) then he's going to need a better center than Jeff and Bryson. He's going to need Russell and more wide players. He's going to need a LB that can go outside as well as inside. 

It's going to take time. 

I saw McLovin say Brighton could have had 4 or 5...

Derby had the best chances. By far. I dunno how but we did. Brighton has territory but managed 2 or 3 decent efforts and their shots were often from range. Their keeper however made some good saves.

All the best football came when Hughes came on. Shocking right? And Butterfield. 

I'm not calling for 433. I don't care what he does. I'll just judge what I see.

What I saw yesterday was a non starter. That team in that system? Midtable. 

Hendrick and Bryson 442? Nope. Passing football with Cyrus, Shackell, Johnson, Bent and Baird all in together? Nope. 

Forget performance and result. If you're looking for something to build on then it wasn't here. 

55 minutes for the first boos too. 

Crap day

Tough game to make any conclusions from that. Weimann and Forsyth the obvious big misses, and unfortunate.

Some harsh judgements on an out of position Baird, who did well enough defensively against a tricky player in Knockaert. Thought Johnson was poor, not entirely sure why he started on the left ahead of Russell. Maybe to give more protection from Knockaert? Think Russell would have done better on that front too, he's good defensively and gives more work rate - which Pearson loves. 

Game looked like one where both teams had first choice players missing. No flow. That said, I felt Brighton had more strong spells than we did. Agree with Pearson though, that was a game we'd have lost in previous seasons. Christie made some excellent last ditch clearances. Bent was unlucky not to have a goal, excellent save from Stockdale right at the death.

With the players we have, it has to be a diamond. Too many centre mids and not enough wide midfielders. If we had everyone fit - for me:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Thorne
                                   Hughes Bryson

Ince
                                      Martin Bent

It's horribly narrow, but its about putting round pegs in round holes. Martin providing flick ons for Bent to run on to, Ince being the link between the midfield and the forwards, and two full backs who can cover and attack in equal measure.

19 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

With the players we have, it has to be a diamond. Too many centre mids and not enough wide midfielders. If we had everyone fit - for me:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Thorne
                                   Hughes Bryson

Ince
                                      Martin Bent

It's horribly narrow, but its about putting round pegs in round holes. Martin providing flick ons for Bent to run on to, Ince being the link between the midfield and the forwards, and two full backs who can cover and attack in equal measure.

Excellent shape and selection IMHO, Animal.

A bit narrow yes, but didn't Sir Alf win something or other with "wingless wonders"?

I'm amazed by some of the reactions on here apropos Pearsons playing formation for yesterday's game surely the football aficionados on here must have realised Pearson loves playing a rigid 4 4 2 formation so why the surprise? Are these the same posters who lauded Pearson when he was recruited. 

50 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Only just been arsed to post as I was pissed off straight from the starting 11. 

Fair enough 442. If that's what he wants then whatever.  But I've seen 2 or 3 years of 442 with Hendrick and Bryson and they never work. They play in a line, they both drop deep. They are short ranged passers. No wonder we got deeper and deeper. Hughes isn't just the best midfielder at Derby. He's the best in the league. And amazingly he's the best tackler we have. Yes, including Johnson.

If Ince is going to play there then he's going to have to move more. It wasn't a free role. He stood in the same spot. 

Baird is totally right footed. Passes on the inside every time

Johnson.... 

Bent did well. Cyrus gave a few daft fouls and was too greedy. Blackman alright. 

The thing is all our best footballers were handed the 433 by Mac and embraced it. Then Clement brought players that don't fit. 

So Pearson has a choice to make. If he goes 2 lines of 4 (and they were flat lines!!! Hideous 442!!!) then he's going to need a better center than Jeff and Bryson. He's going to need Russell and more wide players. He's going to need a LB that can go outside as well as inside. 

It's going to take time. 

I saw McLovin say Brighton could have had 4 or 5...

Derby had the best chances. By far. I dunno how but we did. Brighton has territory but managed 2 or 3 decent efforts and their shots were often from range. Their keeper however made some good saves.

All the best football came when Hughes came on. Shocking right? And Butterfield. 

I'm not calling for 433. I don't care what he does. I'll just judge what I see.

What I saw yesterday was a non starter. That team in that system? Midtable. 

Hendrick and Bryson 442? Nope. Passing football with Cyrus, Shackell, Johnson, Bent and Baird all in together? Nope. 

Forget performance and result. If you're looking for something to build on then it wasn't here. 

55 minutes for the first boos too. 

Crap day

Trouble is agree with is but have been trying to be positive. We didn't use the width, Ince WAS static ( why ? He isn't usually like that ) .. It wasn't a completely crap day though .. For all the bad news, we got a point and maybe learned something. ... I might groan but I will not boo .... Ever ! 

What is this fascination with formations now..? It's the hipster thing to be obsessed about...maybe I am one step ahead of the bearded skateboarders by not being interested in any of the formations at all, because players win games not formations. 

And playing a rubbish nick Blackman, an offside Darren bent and a crap Robbiesavagealike will win you nothing. 

16 hours ago, England Ram said:

I did hear from someone at the club today that Pearson's supposedly not keen on Will and his work rate. This may have been a way to challenge him, and he worked well with and without the ball. 

I'm amazed if that's true. Because he is truly a class player, he doesn't need to run round like the proverbial headless chicken.

If Pearson just wants headless chickens, God help us.

On another note, I blame Forsyth's missus. Women! Can't get anything right.

16 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

What is this fascination with formations now..? It's the hipster thing to be obsessed about...maybe I am one step ahead of the bearded skateboarders by not being interested in any of the formations at all, because players win games not formations. 

And playing a rubbish nick Blackman, an offside Darren bent and a crap Robbiesavagealike will win you nothing. 

Blackman and bent played well, did you go to the game or are you just trying to get. REACTION 

Brief thoughts.. 

The system didn't work once Brighton relaxed. It's a point we scarcely deserved. We were much, much better once Hughes and Butterfield were together in midfield. We lacked width. Could have stole three points in the end. The abuse I heard aimed at some of our players was beyond my comprehension.

So, nothing that hasn't already been posted. :D

Archived