Derby County v Brighton

Jimbo Ram

I don't agree with any of this experimenting hog wash. Pearson put out the team he thought was best to win the game. Every Derby fan who has seen Hughes play knew he is the best player we have. Now I suspect Pearson does. He may also realise that If we are going to try to play a different way to how we have played the last 3 seasons we may need some different players. I think Pearson will pick a different team next Saturday and it will have Hughes starting. Anyone fancy a fiver on it?

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, cannable said:

"Fittest eleven starts" according to Forsyth.

Well fitness is hugely important...and you don't want to play anyone who isn't fit.  But shouldn't the whole squad be very fit...when they are injury free? 

PistoldPete2
2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

As soon as the starting 11 was announced I would have snapped your hand off for a point. 

Brighton must have been creaming themselves when they saw that the best player in the league who ripped them to pieces at their place last season after a season injured wasn't even playing....and Martin who has scored loads against them was also on he bench. 

First test for Nigel was picking the best 11, he failed that totally. 

Some interesting not to say bizarre selection decisions but tbf Blackman did well at rm. biggest losses were fozzy and Hughes, after missing most of last Eason was looking to see the movie both back, both out for non injury reasons, 

We were much better in last 30 minutes hopefully Pearson will now realise we can't do without quality players, what as he doing saving Hughes and Martin for the Grimsby game

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Baird presumably was only in as an emergency measure with Olsson and Forsyth both forced absentees. Experience versus Knockaert.

I would have thought Bent's pace and threat would be better off the bench as long as we have a manager (ulike Wassall) who will make changes before the 85th minute - today Hughes came on after 60 so at least that was something.

If it's a choice between athletes or footballers I would prefer footballers. Johnson is the worst technical player in the squad so should not start for me. Unless the circumstances are exceptional Hughes must start. I don't object to 4-4-1-1, not least because we need to find other ways of playing. This team can do 4-3-3 when called upon, but too often last year we were impotent in that formation. So I say give it time.

Blackman was meant to have been decent today (I wasn't there to see). I like the thought of competition between him and Russell bringing out the best of each other, starting the one in form and substituting the other as McClaren used to do with his wide players. Again, I'd give give Blackman a chance to stake a claim.

Blackman did ok today. Dropped off in the second half but put in a half decent performance.

PistoldPete2
10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Baird presumably was only in as an emergency measure with Olsson and Forsyth both forced absentees. Experience versus Knockaert.

I would have thought Bent's pace and threat would be better off the bench as long as we have a manager (ulike Wassall) who will make changes before the 85th minute - today Hughes came on after 60 so at least that was something.

If it's a choice between athletes or footballers I would prefer footballers. Johnson is the worst technical player in the squad so should not start for me. Unless the circumstances are exceptional Hughes must start. I don't object to 4-4-1-1, not least because we need to find other ways of playing. This team can do 4-3-3 when called upon, but too often last year we were impotent in that formation. So I say give it time.

Blackman was meant to have been decent today (I wasn't there to see). I like the thought of competition between him and Russell bringing out the best of each other, starting the one in form and substituting the other as McClaren used to do with his wide players. Again, I'd give give Blackman a chance to stake a claim.

Yes but why did Blackman come off but not replaced by Russell? We lacked width Especially without fozzy or Olson 

I said I'd be happy with a point and another 90 minutes under our belts and zero injuries... got that so I'm happy 

Pearson will learn, I'd happily take mid-table this season and said that from the moment he was announced, he needs to work out who his best 11 is, who will go to the wall for him and who will shy away and bottle it... and today Johnson totally had a stinker and I get the feeling NP wasn't best pleased with him :whistle:.. FFS its the first game, we've kept a clean sheet and NP is working out what he needs to do, give him time ffs.

half time and our fans are moaning?? What the f*** is wrong with some of our fans?.. OH!!.... Newcastle (the runaway champions) played average and lost last night... against a side not expected to do anything and have lost their main 2 players.. go figure.

Well I think we can safely say lots of room for improvement but we must give Pearson time. From what I saw today we may have to show patience as Ram fans over the first few months of this season before he gets the formation right & firing on at least three of four cylinders. Saying that we should be more than happy with a point today against a Brighton team that looked very good & in my humble opinion whoever finishes above them come seasons end will certainly get promoted. 

Big surprise on team line up

carson - two good saves rubbish distribution 

christie - some good last ditch defending with occasional cross

keogh - ok

Shackell - ok

Baird - did well defensively  on first full appearance at left back nothing going forward 

Blackman - ok early on then faded away

Hendrick - ok

Bryson - ok

johnson - must be brilliant in training gave us nothing

Ince - could have scored early on and could have been replaced soon after as he never touched the ball there after

Bent - nearly snatched it but very difficult for him on his own

subs

Hughes- cunning plan not to get him injured in the first half can we please play him

Butterfield - at least he shoots

well I would have taken a point at half time Brighton are a good side but by not playing Martin or Hughes they must have been delighted, if we play the ones who didn't start today on Tuesday we will have a heck of a team on display.

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

I don't agree with any of this experimenting hog wash. Pearson put out the team he thought was best to win the game. Every Derby fan who has seen Hughes play knew he is the best player we have. Now I suspect Pearson does. He may also realise that I we are going to try to play a different way to how we have played the last 3 seasons we may need some different players. I think Pearson will pick a different team next Saturday and it will have Hughes starting. Anyone fancy a fiver on it?

So not experimenting at all then :p

You're probably right in any case. The positive is that the changes worked so, as you say, he'll have learnt a fair amount from today. 

Brighton are no mugs are they.. they finished 11 points clear of us last season and have managed to hold on to their main players, have kept hold of Hughton is a fantastic manager at this level.. I can't believe some of our fans expected us to roll them over 3-0 ffs.. We learned a lot more today and I'd sooner have played a team that will be up there and got a good point with a clean sheet on the opening day.. rather than winning 3-0 and thinking it would be a stroll like we did in the 2002-03 season (I might be wrong on the year, it was when kinkladze played for us in Division 1)

2 minutes ago, FunkyRam said:

Clean sheet and a point against a team who will be up there this season. I'm alright with that.

The people who have waited 3 months to slit there wrists must be happy now :D 

I agree a point and clean sheet against Brighton is a decent result. Can't help but be slightly worried by the performance though. We were lucky not to lose, and apart from the first 10 mins we were outplayed today. Hopefully we will improve!

"Pathetic"

"Shambolic"

"Worst starting 11 I've ever seen"

Three comments read out on Radio Derby about a 0-0 draw against a good side on the first day of season with a new manager, formation and makeshift left back... Reasonable assessment or over reaction? 

12 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

I said I'd be happy with a point and another 90 minutes under our belts and zero injuries... got that so I'm happy 

Pearson will learn, I'd happily take mid-table this season and said that from the moment he was announced, he needs to work out who his best 11 is, who will go to the wall for him and who will shy away and bottle it... and today Johnson totally had a stinker and I get the feeling NP wasn't best pleased with him :whistle:.. FFS its the first game, we've kept a clean sheet and NP is working out what he needs to do, give him time ffs.

half time and our fans are moaning?? What the f*** is wrong with some of our fans?.. OH!!.... Newcastle (the runaway champions) played average and lost last night... against a side not expected to do anything and have lost their main 2 players.. go figure.

Really? I would be very disappointed if we weren't at least in the play off hunt.....

Pretty awful performance. Johnson rightly cheered off, no effort whatsoever. Don't know why Pearson picked him. Missed Olsson or Fozzy massively, Baird awful. 

Although we was poor, still should have won the game imo. Had a couple of great chances. Hoping that was just a typical first game. New striker and winger a must. 

Just come back from the match. Wow we were really lucky not to lose by 4 or 5. Chris Hughton will be tearing his hair out (whatever hair he has left) at how Brighton didn't win that. I was surprised that Weimann and Forsyth didn't play but I assume they are injured. Our defence was reletively solid, Shackell my motm, I thought he was fantastic. Keogh did have a "moment" which we were lucky not to get away with. Ince had a complete mare, He ended up lashing out at and shouting at Baird at one point because nothing was going his way. I felt sorry for Bent, there was no creativity behind him. He made a brilliant run in the second half and if the ball was played to him he would have had a clear run at goal but Ince took too long to pass it to him. I also felt sorry for Johnson too when he came off. Yes he had a mare too but there was no need for the Derby fans to jeer him like that. What happened to supporting your players no matter what? Once thing is for sure, we need a couple of wingers if we want to persist with 4-4-2. I'm willing to give it a chance, as I stated before the match a few days ago but the formation looked too narrow today. 

2 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Pretty awful performance. Johnson rightly cheered off, no effort whatsoever. Don't know why Pearson picked him. Missed Olsson or Fozzy massively, Baird awful. 

Although we was poor, still should have won the game imo. Had a couple of great chances. Hoping that was just a typical first game. New striker and winger a must. 

Unless the player scored an own goal v Forest, went celebrating down the touchline and revealed a Forest shirt under the Derby one, I wouldn't jeer them. I don't think it's right and I don't think it's beneficial. No matter how poor a player has, I don't see how jeers can be productive at all. To anyone who jeered a player off on the first day of the season, you are pathetic. You can have the opinion that a player did not play well of course, but I definitely don't agree with vocally showing your approval that they're leaving the pitch.

However much I'm not keen on a player. I would NEVER cheer a player off sarcastically just because he didn't play well. 

23 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

As soon as the starting 11 was announced I would have snapped your hand off for a point. 

Brighton must have been creaming themselves when they saw that the best player in the league who ripped them to pieces at their place last season after a season injured wasn't even playing....and Martin who has scored loads against them was also on he bench. 

First test for Nigel was picking the best 11, he failed that totally. 

Chill Winston

Archived