Derby County v Brighton

Jimbo Ram

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

As soon as the starting 11 was announced I would have snapped your hand off for a point. 

Brighton must have been creaming themselves when they saw that the best player in the league who ripped them to pieces at their place last season after a season injured wasn't even playing....and Martin who has scored loads against them was also on he bench. 

First test for Nigel was picking the best 11, he failed that totally. 

Don't be so stupid , he obviously picked the players who have impressed him in training throughout pre season , I would have taken a point no matter what team he had put out , Brighton and ourselves will be in the top 6 for sure 

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts from today.

I agree that Derby players shouldn't be booed but we are paying nearly £40 a time to watch highly paid footballers. When Bradley Johnson fails to execute simple passes over and over again I can understand the frustration. The boos were not just for today- they were for many similar performances last year.

I thought Blackman started okay but soon returned to his awkwardness of last year. I just don't think he's a wide player. Baird defended well but was uncomfortable in possession. 

Christie was poor and naive. 

Keogh was roasted by Murray. Shackell was by far our best defender.

Hendrick and Bryson were industrious but too deep.

For me we struggled because Ince, Bent and Blackman don't offer anything defensively and so the other seven outfield players got stretched.

I was delighted when Hughes and Martin came on but whilst Hughes was busy defensively he didn't set the game alight.

It's early days of course and Brighton are a tidy team, but we got out of jail today. 

I would be amazed if we don't buy two or three and ship out some old favourites.

PistoldPete2
5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

How long are Weimann and Fozzy expected to be out for?

Fozzy is on paternity leave I think ... Weimann out for weeks I'm afraid. 

My first ever Derby game today and my kids too and i'm so glad i made the effort to take her to York City matches in league 2 when she was a bit younger as it meant that the standard of today's game wasn't a shock to her. :lol:

I jest of course but it wasn't the best I've seen. Other than the poor game we all really enjoyed our day out at the iPro and both the club and Derby fans can be praised for so many things today. The area where i was sat in the family stand was a superb view and we felt so comfortable with both the seats / view and the general easy going nature of the Derby fans around us. Hardly heard any bad language if truth be told which pleasantly surprised me, other than one random bloke shouting out a few times.

My kid loved the mascots and the ice creams and being amazed by the simple things in life such as inserting her season card into the turnstile slot and it letting her in. On top of that toilets that were actually functional, clean and did not contravene the health and safety act were such a relief - literally. Anyone who has felt the call of nature away at Accrington will just thank the Lord that Derby are in the Championship. I'll not go into detail.

I thought first 15 we got the ball into wide areas and stretched the Brighton defence carving out some decent chances. Then we seemed to condense play all the time, fail to get out wide anymore and really became easy and predictable for the Brighton back line to deal with. I also thought they were quickest to a lot of the ball and seemed to have men running off and actually wanting it from the man in possession. Derby seemed very lethargic and short on urgency although there were some committed tackles and blocks in front of Scott Carson today. Brighton though had the better chances IMO and like another poster said, we got out of jail with a draw today.

I don't know too much about Derby in terms of personnel, formations and the like being a new fan so i won't comment on that. It was Pearson's first game in charge and i do know that Brighton are actually a really decent well drilled side and i do think that Derby will improve as the season goes on most definitely.

Not to worry. It's the first game, a point more than Newcastle, myself and family all thoroughly enjoyed going and we are very much looking forward to Grimsby on Tuesday night now. I know quite a bit about the Mariners squad and they'll make it tough. Derby certainly will need to add a little more creativity anyway.

Overall in context it's the first game of the season. Nigel has had an opportunity to see some of the squad in competitive action and we came away with a point. No harm done and i'm sure Nigel and the players will be able to go away and have a look at this game back and see where improvements can be made. I have full confidence in Nigel doing a really decent job at the club.

Brighton fans amazing today and really friendly bunch too so well done to them.

6 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I've changed my opinion of Brighton since the playoffs last season, because its nice of them to join us in the "how to muck it up every season" club lol. Seriously their a sound bunch though and good luck to them for the rest of the season (expect against us of course).

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

My first ever Derby game today and my kids too and i'm so glad i made the effort to take her to York City matches in league 2 when she was a bit younger as it meant that the standard of today's game wasn't a shock to her. :lol:

I jest of course but it wasn't the best I've seen. Other than the poor game we all really enjoyed our day out at the iPro and both the club and Derby fans can be praised for so many things today. The area where i was sat in the family stand was a superb view and we felt so comfortable with both the seats / view and the general easy going nature of the Derby fans around us. Hardly heard any bad language if truth be told which pleasantly surprised me, other than one random bloke shouting out a few times.

My kid loved the mascots and the ice creams and being amazed by the simple things in life such as inserting her season card into the turnstile slot and it letting her in. On top of that toilets that were actually functional, clean and did not contravene the health and safety act were such a relief - literally. Anyone who has felt the call of nature away at Accrington will just thank the Lord that Derby are in the Championship. I'll not go into detail.

I thought first 15 we got the ball into wide areas and stretched the Brighton defence carving out some decent chances. Then we seemed to condense play all the time, fail to get out wide anymore and really became easy and predictable for the Brighton back line to deal with. I also thought they were quickest to a lot of the ball and seemed to have men running off and actually wanting it from the man in possession. Derby seemed very lethargic and short on urgency although there were some committed tackles and blocks in front of Scott Carson today. Brighton though had the better chances IMO and like another poster said, we got out of jail with a draw today.

I don't know too much about Derby in terms of personnel, formations and the like being a new fan so i won't comment on that. It was Pearson's first game in charge and i do know that Brighton are actually a really decent well drilled side and i do think that Derby will improve as the season goes on most definitely.

Not to worry. It's the first game, a point more than Newcastle, myself and family all thoroughly enjoyed going and we are very much looking forward to Grimsby on Tuesday night now. I know quite a bit about the Mariners squad and they'll make it tough. Derby certainly will need to add a little more creativity anyway.

Overall in context it's the first game of the season. Nigel has had an opportunity to see some of the squad in competitive action and we came away with a point. No harm done and i'm sure Nigel and the players will be able to go away and have a look at this game back and see where improvements can be made. I have full confidence in Nigel doing a really decent job at the club.

Glad you and your kids had a nice time today despite the result. I don't know what has happened to our fans in the stadium. A few years ago were used to really get behind the players and support them through thick and thin, here is an example:

For some reason our former positive fibes have turned toxic. Whether this is because of the new found weight of expectation, who knows. Hope we didn't put you or your kids off too much :D

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Glad you and your kids had a nice time today despite the result. I don't know what has happened to our fans in the stadium. A few years ago were used to really get behind the players and support them through thick and thin, here is an example:

For some reason our former positive fibes have turned toxic. Whether this is because of the new found weight of expectation, who knows. Hope we didn't put you or your kids off too much :D

I've sat/stood everywhere through the years, from the Popside, Ossie End and C-Stand, to the West, East and South Stands.

The one constant?

Moaning fookers, no matter how good we are on the pitch, there has always been, and always will be,  someone within earshot who ain't happy!

I guess it's the same everywhere.

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've sat/stood everywhere through the years, from the Popside, Ossie End and C-Stand, to the West, East and South Stands.

The one constant?

Moaning fookers, no matter how good we are on the pitch, there has always been, and always will be,  someone within earshot who ain't happy!

I guess it's the same everywhere.

Nowhere near as many moaners as we have now though

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd say the same in all honesty, based on nearly 3 decades of watching.

Fair enough, I guess it depends where you sit really but I've definitely noticed a lot more fans where I sit get restless quicker than they used to. Johnson was getting abuse after only 20 minutes today.

2 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Probably the same amount of moaners, just more forums for them to moan on.

I'm talking about at the actual game, home/away, regardless of the stand or opposition, you are never more than 4ft from a moaner.

They're like rats, only more annoying.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Fair enough, I guess it depends where you sit really but I've definitely noticed a lot more fans where I sit get restless quicker than they used to. Johnson was getting abuse after only 20 minutes today.

Probably new-ish fans, give em another 10 yrs of the Derby Way, and they'll have learnt to get comfortably numb before turning up!

Archived