Hearsay & ITK

20 minutes ago, Simsy said:

after being underwhelmed with the latest targets it has made me think are we too close to the ffp regulations to sign anyone for big money? Anyone..

If thats the case we would have to offload a jeff hendrick or a hughes for big money to get a big name in.

how can you be underwhelmed by something you haven't been told? 

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Simsy said:

after being underwhelmed with the latest targets it has made me think are we too close to the ffp regulations to sign anyone for big money? Anyone..

If thats the case we would have to offload a jeff hendrick or a hughes for big money to get a big name in.

I'd rather keep Hughes. He's a big name imo.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

how can you be underwhelmed by something you haven't been told? 

Woah.. hang on. We have been told. Sdsr says we are targeting odowda. I'm underwhelmed by that. And to the other post I don't read those nixon rumours so hand on heart don't know who he has linked us with.

But didn't someone who claimed to have known? Claimed that coach told him it's worth waiting for? Surely not a young lad from Oxford....not worth waiting for 

How about this as an idea:

1. First, sign a player
  2. Let player play
  3. Judge player on those performances
  4. Post comments on dcfcfans.uk

We can all be underwhelmed, overwhelmed or, presumably, whelmed (?) by the prospect of buying a player and past performances will obviously be a factor in that. but as with all things football, until they've put on the shirt and played a few games under this manager we won't really know will we.  Sit back, relax and see how it pans out.

If we were close to FFP then we'd likely be working on getting Bosmans in or more Carson-esque signings. The fact we haven't made early moves for these says to me we aren't that close. The only players moved out have been those with a desire to go, so we're still very much assessing everything, and then I think whoever we sign will cost what they cost. I imagine a budget is in place but don't spunk £8m on a striker if that's all you have and you find you need 2 more players. See what else is available, or if a sizeable bid comes in for Hendrick maybe you can get the £8m striker and it also effects what you setttle for in the other gaps. Why go and pay £2m for de laet until Christie is back and assessed, you could be throwing half your budget at someone who will spend most of the season on the bench. Same with James. I think Pearson is smart enough to say yes I like them and they'd do a job in this situation but at the moment there's no point signing them because they may be so far down the list of priorities.

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

1. First, sign a player
  2. Let player play

We can all be underwhelmed, overwhelmed or, presumably, whelmed (?) by the prospect of buying a player and past performances will obviously be a factor in that. but as with all things football, until they've put on the shirt and played a few games under this manager we won't really know will we.  Sit back, relax and see how it pans out.

Absolutely not. I want to roast Pearson and Mel right now and cannot wait until things actually happen and football has been played to do so.

14 minutes ago, LazloW said:

1. First, sign a player
  2. Let player play

That's not how it works at all:

1. speculate about whether we're in for a player

2. Roundly slate that player as not being as good as x,y or z that already plays for us

3. Sign player (and then all moan about how he's over-priced and we've been ripped off)

4. Watch player for a couple of games (max) and then write numerous threads telling everyone you were right and the player really is as cack as you'd said

5. Moan, groan, and grumble whenever the player touches the ball until the point that the player's confidence is shot and they get dropped

6. Sell player and then then all moan that we didn't get much back on the deal

7 Start again at number 1.....

1 hour ago, TopRam said:

But didn't someone who claimed to have known? Claimed that coach told him it's worth waiting for? Surely not a young lad from Oxford....not worth waiting for

Yes in his opinion it seems a young lad from oxford is worth waiting for.

Obviously I will get behind whoever we sign and judge him after performances. I was just saying an oxford youngster who has struggled to start in league 2 doesn't excite me. If we were looking at for example Rhodes that would excite me.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

That's not how it works at all:

1. speculate about whether we're in for a player

2. Roundly slate that player as not being as good as x,y or z that already plays for us

3. Sign player (and then all moan about how he's over-priced and we've been ripped off)

4. Watch player for a couple of games (max) and then write numerous threads telling everyone you were right and the player really is as cack as you'd said

5. Moan, groan, and grumble whenever the player touches the ball until the point that the player's confidence is shot and they get dropped

6. Sell player and then then all moan that we didn't get much back on the deal

7 Start again at number 1.....

You missed the part where we aren't signing quality players because we are snookered by FFP!

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

1. First, sign a player
  2. Let player play

O'Dowda feels like the kind of signings we made under Nigel though... Youngsters from the lower leagues with potential... People like Steve Davies...

We need to be signing players who will immediately be better than what we have... Not competition or potential... I know Pearson talks about wanting to grow the club etc but we need to focus on immediate improvements (IF we sign anyone)

Just now, cheron85 said:

O'Dowda feels like the kind of signings we made under Nigel though... Youngsters from the lower leagues with potential... People like Steve Davies...

We need to be signing players who will immediately be better than what we have... Not competition or potential... I know Pearson talks about wanting to grow the club etc but we need to focus on immediate improvements (IF we sign anyone)

Davies was alright though

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Pearson has had quite a bit of success with youngsters from lower leagues though :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It isn't either or! As well as trying to recruit players that are better than what we have, we have to keep upping the talent pool with potential from the bottom up. That is how clubs grow - simple really.

Archived