Hearsay & ITK

4 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Davies was alright though

I was always a big fan... However he is/was a decent player for a lower end to mid-table championship side... Not a side challenging for promotion... And he wasn't even quite that good when he first signed... Needed a year or so to get up to speed...

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Pearson has had quite a bit of success with youngsters from lower leagues though :ph34r:

Please tell me that's not using Vardy as an example? Because buying a 25 yr old who goes on to have an incredible season 4 yrs later under a different manager is NOT what we need right now...

Other than that he signed a lot of decent championship players and quite a few youngsters from Man Utd...

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Please tell me that's not using Vardy as an example? Because buying a 25 yr old who goes on to have an incredible season 4 yrs later under a different manager is NOT what we need right now...

Other than that he signed a lot of decent championship players and quite a few youngsters from Man Utd...

Vardy took one season to start performing at a decent level, I don't see why it is a bad example at all and the youngsters at Man U are just as unproven as O'Dowda

12 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Vardy took one season to start performing at a decent level, I don't see why it is a bad example at all and the youngsters at Man U are just as unproven as O'Dowda

Youngsters at Man Utd are just as unproven... However making it to 21/22 at Man Utd means (generally) that they thought up until that point they might still be good enough to play top level premier league football... You only keep a player that long if you think they may be good enough for your first team...

On the flip side a youngster from Oxford COULD be decent... But it's more likely that the Man Utd youf would be...

How many ex-Oxford youth team players are playing top tier football vs the same from Man Utd?

Having a couple of mates who are Leicester fans they weren't sure why they even signed Vardy at first... They thought he was okayish but generally uninspiring... PLUS bear in mind that the Vardy story is the MASSIVE exception to the norm otherwise it wouldn't be such a fairytale would it? It would just be standard practice... 

32 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I was always a big fan... However he is/was a decent player for a lower end to mid-table championship side... Not a side challenging for promotion... And he wasn't even quite that good when he first signed... Needed a year or so to get up to speed...

He's one sample, but no, I'm not specifically referencing Vardy. 

Buying players who aren't big, headline names was something Pearson did a lot. He also got the best out of previously average players. O'Dowda looks like someone who has a lot of potential, but it still very young. Pearson could get a lot out of him if his track record is anything to go by. 

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Having a couple of mates who are Leicester fans they weren't sure why they even signed Vardy at first... They thought he was okayish but generally uninspiring... PLUS bear in mind that the Vardy story is the MASSIVE exception to the norm otherwise it wouldn't be such a fairytale would it? It would just be standard practice... 

His first season he was pretty poor, but in his second season he scored 16 goals and Vardy isn't the exception for players making the jump. Callum Wilson, Andre Gray, Deli Ali, Charlie Austin, Troy Deeney, Chris Smalling, Malcolm Christie etc all did it.

So why not take a gamble with him?

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

We are allegedly are we not. 

well, if someone makes an allegation, the accused becomes "allegedly" whatever the allegation suggests. Whether that allegation is a fabrication or not!

If I made an allegation that your bedroom wall is covered in pictures of Bradley Johnson, then allegedly, that is the case. Doesn't mean there is any truth in it!

I asked the directors directly at Breakfast gate, and their response was unequivocally that there was no threat of failing FFP simply cos they'd not spent much in previous years and it's a 3 year moving target and their revenue streams were best in the league.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well, if someone makes an allegation, the accused becomes "allegedly" whatever the allegation suggests. Whether that allegation is a fabrication or not!

If I made an allegation that your bedroom wall is covered in pictures of Bradley Johnson, then allegedly, that is the case. Doesn't mean there is any truth in it!

I asked the directors directly at Breakfast gate, and their response was unequivocally that there was no threat of failing FFP simply cos they'd not spent much in previous years and it's a 3 year moving target and their revenue streams were best in the league.

Ok FFP is not a problem then .

My opinion is not important anyway. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Ok FFP is not a problem then .

My opinion is not important anyway. 

I never said it was or it wasn't, but I would rather believe the directors who have the FACTS at hand, than some scaremongering attention seekers on a forum, and so should you Curtains :) 

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Seems like we can spend 25m again this season then!

Mel Morris said there is money available if needed which suggests no problem with FFP. #JustSaying

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I never said it was or it wasn't, but I would rather believe the directors who have the FACTS at hand, than some scaremongering attention seekers on a forum, and so should you Curtains :) 

IMO .

FFP is an issue for DCFC and every other Football Club. 

To what extent is it not an issue for DCFC .

10 million ,20 million,1 million etc 

How much can we spend on players  this season without outgoings ? 

Only asking. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

IMO .

How much can we spend this season ? 

as much as we want. Nobody cares. As long as we don't have debt, we are okay. We are not allowed to make a loss, and even though we spent a bit last year, the loss over three years doesn't exist. We could spend loads and still be okay. Nobody cares as long as you don't owe.

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

IMO .

How much can we spend on players  this season without outgoings ? 

Only asking. 

Absolutely none of your - or my - business. Any club that came out and put a figure on it would be committing transfer suicide. If the figure was high, every player we wanted to buy would double in asking price because we would be perceived as being loaded. If the value was low, every player we wanted to sell would halve in apparent value because we would be perceived as being Forest skint.

53 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He's one sample, but no, I'm not specifically referencing Vardy. 

Buying players who aren't big, headline names was something Pearson did a lot. He also got the best out of previously average players. O'Dowda looks like someone who has a lot of potential, but it still very young. Pearson could get a lot out of him if his track record is anything to go by. 

1) Wouldn't it be better to get the best out of the players we already have? We have 4/5 wingers who are almost certainly already better than O'Dowda (as they are playing championship football already) so why buy more?

2) He got performances out of players he'd signed from the championship or drop downs from the Prem... That's who we should be after too...

53 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

His first season he was pretty poor, but in his second season he scored 16 goals and Vardy isn't the exception for players making the jump. Callum Wilson, Andre Gray, Deli Ali, Charlie Austin, Troy Deeney, Chris Smalling, Malcolm Christie etc all did it.

So why not take a gamble with him?

Smalling was 18 when he joined Fulham so not sure that counts... And the fact you have to bring out Malcolm Christie is a bit of a stretch isn't it? That was 15 years ago...

Just having a look at a single Premier League team for a single season (using Man Utd 12-13 as my example as had already used some players from then earlier) they sold off or released the following: De Laet, James, Oliver Norwood (decent if not revelatory), Paul Pogba, Josh King and Robbie Brady... So 2 now premier league winners, a player now rated at £100m, 2 other premier league players and a decent championship player (and international)...

My argument is... You're much more likely to get a decent young player from a premier league side than a league 2 side...

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

Absolutely none of your - or my - business. Any club that came out and put a figure on it would be committing transfer suicide. If the figure was high, every player we wanted to buy would double in asking price because we would be perceived as being loaded. If the value was low, every player we wanted to sell would halve in apparent value because we would be perceived as being Forest skint.

Right.  

Archived