Hearsay & ITK

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

as much as we want. Nobody cares. As long as we don't have debt, we are okay. We are not allowed to make a loss, and even though we spent a bit last year, the loss over three years doesn't exist. We could spend loads and still be okay. Nobody cares as long as you don't owe.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2015/football-league-ffp-guidance-2632728.aspx

39 Million loss over 3 seasons permitted 

38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I asked the directors directly at Breakfast gate, and their response was unequivocally that there was no threat of failing FFP simply cos they'd not spent much in previous years and it's a 3 year moving target and their revenue streams were best in the league.

To be fair, that doesn't indicate that we have the same transfer budget as last year and we can go all out again. It just means that we won't fail FFP because we have a handle on it. It could still mean in order to stay in line we have to cut some of the spending this year compared to last. As you say, it's over the space of 3 years. 

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

1) Wouldn't it be better to get the best out of the players we already have? We have 4/5 wingers who are almost certainly already better than O'Dowda (as they are playing championship football already) so why buy more?

2) He got performances out of players he'd signed from the championship or drop downs from the Prem... That's who we should be after too...

1) obviously he should be trying to get the best out of the players we have. That is literally one of the only outstanding requirements for the role of a football manager. But why does that mean we can't invest in a promising young player? Also, we don't have 4/5 wingers. We have Tom Ince, and then a number of forwards who have been made to play on the wing.

2) I don't care what league a player is in, or what club they've come from, if the manager believes they are what we need then he should go get them. The 'we should be signing players from the prem' argument is nonsense. We bought plenty of players from he premier league when we last went up to the premier league, and look how that turned out. I'd much rather we invested in young talent than players that are deemed not good enough for lower-premier league clubs. 

I've said this for months and months now.. There's zero chance of us failing FFP. We have a set of rules that we abide by because we're ran by sensible and educated businessmen... Sure, the budget isn't what it was last summer, but there is one. What's wrong with Pearson wanting to look at his squad before making any major signings? 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

The point which I answered, which in your own inimitable way you completely ignored in your desire to make a different point, was that neither you nor I have a right to know how much Derby are prepared to spend on transfers because if we knew, then the clubs we were dealing with would also know, and would therefore be at an advantage.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

The point which I answered, which in your own inimitable way you completely ignored in your desire to make a different point, was that neither you nor I have a right to know how much Derby are prepared to spend on transfers because if we knew, then the clubs we were dealing with would also know, and would therefore be at an advantage.

No necessarily.

10 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I've said this for months and months now.. There's zero chance of us failing FFP. We have a set of rules that we abide by because we're ran by sensible and educated businessmen... Sure, the budget isn't what it was last summer, but there is one. What's wrong with Pearson wanting to look at his squad before making any major signings? 

It's not about major signings. 

Im resigned to very few if any.  

The academy is the way forward. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

It's not about major signings. 

Im resigned to very few if any.  

The academy is the way forward. 

You WUM?

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

1) obviously he should be trying to get the best out of the players we have. That is literally one of the only outstanding requirements for the role of a football manager. But why does that mean we can't invest in a promising young player? Also, we don't have 4/5 wingers. We have Tom Ince, and then a number of forwards who have been made to play on the wing.

2) I don't care what league a player is in, or what club they've come from, if the manager believes they are what we need then he should go get them. The 'we should be signing players from the prem' argument is nonsense. We bought plenty of players from he premier league when we last went up to the premier league, and look how that turned out. I'd much rather we invested in young talent than players that are deemed not good enough for lower-premier league clubs. 

Doesn't mean we can't invest in youths from league 2... But I'm saying we have ZERO idea of whether this guy is decent and you have MUCH more chance of a player being decent if they are a youth from a Prem team than a youth from League 2...

Also in 07-08 we didn't invest in Premier League players... Davis, Earnshaw, Feilhaber, Miller, Lewis?

28 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Doesn't mean we can't invest in youths from league 2... But I'm saying we have ZERO idea of whether this guy is decent and you have MUCH more chance of a player being decent if they are a youth from a Prem team than a youth from League 2...

Also in 07-08 we didn't invest in Premier League players... Davis, Earnshaw, Feilhaber, Miller, Lewis?

Yeah, you and I probably don't. But the club do, and thankfully they're the ones in charge of signing players.

also, please don't make me go and dig up the names of the premier league players we bought/loaned in 07/08. You know there's loads of them and I doubt that you, like myself, want to have to dig up those memories of a darker time...

41 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yeah, you and I probably don't. But the club do, and thankfully they're the ones in charge of signing players.

also, please don't make me go and dig up the names of the premier league players we bought/loaned in 07/08. You know there's loads of them and I doubt that you, like myself, want to have to dig up those memories of a darker time...

Premier League OLD players yeh... Savage, Danny Mills... Not 21/22 yr olds like James and de Laet... Being 'not quite good enough' for a top 6 premier league side at 21 chances are good that they'll turn into decent players... Michael Keane being the latest good example I guess?

All I'm saying is there are probably 2/3 gems of youngsters in the lower leagues... But I would put money on it that there are 2/3 gems at EACH CLUB in the premier league top half... Trawling the lower leagues is like searching for a sharp needle in a pile of blunt ones... They all look pretty similar and you don't know whether you've got the sharp one until you try using it...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Premier League OLD players yeh... Savage, Danny Mills... Not 21/22 yr olds like James and de Laet... Being 'not quite good enough' for a top 6 premier league side at 21 chances are good that they'll turn into decent players... Michael Keane being the latest good example I guess?

All I'm saying is there are probably 2/3 gems of youngsters in the lower leagues... But I would put money on it that there are 2/3 gems at EACH CLUB in the premier league top half... Trawling the lower leagues is like searching for a sharp needle in a pile of blunt ones... They all look pretty similar and you don't know whether you've got the sharp one until you try using it...

This is a decent point, and I get what you're saying. My point though is that there are gems everywhere in football and, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where Pearson buys his players as long as they perform well and fight for the right to where the shirt.

To return this all the way back to that Vardy comparison, I'm sure a few of them (more than a few) kicked off about paying £1m for a player from Fleetwood. Who's laughing now though? (Not Farage)

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Griffin was from Prem, Todd was from Prem, Savage was from Prem, Mills was, Ghaly was, Stubbs was, Carroll technically was, Claude Davis was, 

16 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Like the time we signed Ryan Smith?

To a degree, it's always a bit of a gamble - you have to assess the player as a person and determine whether they fit into the group dynamic and adopt the team ethos.

Look at the England u21 squad from ten years back and see how many are playing at the top level...

2 hours ago, maydrakin said:

To a degree, it's always a bit of a gamble - you have to assess the player as a person and determine whether they fit into the group dynamic and adopt the team ethos.

Look at the England u21 squad from ten years back and see how many are playing at the top level...

England under 21s leading scorer for the 2006 u21 championships... Darren Bent. Lol.

Also Carson in goal with Camp on the bench. All the squad went on to make a high number of appearances in the top 2 divisons.

18 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is a decent point, and I get what you're saying. My point though is that there are gems everywhere in football and, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where Pearson buys his players as long as they perform well and fight for the right to where the shirt.

To return this all the way back to that Vardy comparison, I'm sure a few of them (more than a few) kicked off about paying £1m for a player from Fleetwood. Who's laughing now though? (Not Farage)

There ARE yes... But on the basis that every manager has hits and misses in terms of signing players I'd rather go for a 'safer' option... For every Vardy he brought in I'm sure Pearson signed five early-20 somethings from lower down who turned out to be average...

17 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Griffin was from Prem, Todd was from Prem, Savage was from Prem, Mills was, Ghaly was, Stubbs was, Carroll technically was, Claude Davis was, 

We're talking like-for-like here... Young talent with potential... Not old duffers who are over the hill...

That said I thought Ghaly was pretty much the only one who looked like a premier league player in that side...

17 hours ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

'' S H U D D E R ''

Yeh sorry about that...

3 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Yes well done... We can all point out examples from each case can't we... Sometimes in doesn't work out, sometimes it does... I'm saying that with young talent you have a better ratio of it working out if you take them from above than below...

I checked from the u21 Euros in 2007... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_squads#.C2.A0England

A fair few... There's only 4/5 out of the group playing outside the top 2 leagues... One is a particularly good player playing for a bloody brilliant club somewhere in the midlands... 

Archived