Pearson signs 3 year deal

Rample

Nigel Pearson  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuffed with Pearson, who was one of my preferred candidates all along. Getting Chrissy Powell in as #2 is just taking the piss. Well done Mel and Sam.

Thanks to Darren Wassall, who come out of this with his reputation enhanced and his head held high.

Keep Will, offload half a dozen fringe players, bring in 2 or 3 gems....game on.

What makes today just a trifle extra pleasant, as I sit here in the garden with a cold one in the sunshine, is that Nigel Pearson was the number 1 pick on ltlf as the new forest manager. Feel the butt hurt red-dogs. Mwahahahaha.

1 hour ago, babylon said:

As for being an unpleasant person... you're so wrong. He might not get on with the press, but people at the club will adore him, if you meet him in the street you'll come away thinking he's a great bloke.

Good luck Nige.... thanks for everything!!

This I can vouch for. On checking in with Ma Hants,  I was told

" Met him on train back from london once. Really nice man. There, I have spoke."

As Ma is a west stand season ticket holder you can be sure she regards a dropped aitch and incorrectly used split infinitives as grounds for ostracism. 

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

This I can vouch for. On checking in with Ma Hants,  I was told

" Met him on train back from london once. Really nice man. There, I have spoke."

As Ma is a west stand season ticket holder you can be sure she regards a dropped aitch and incorrectly used split infinitives as grounds for ostracism

Had to get an ostrich pun in there didn't you.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Nigel Pearson: Derby County appoint former Leicester City boss as new manager

Nigel Pearson had previously been linked with the managerial vacancy at Aston Villa

Derby County have appointed former Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson as their manager on a three-year contract.

Pearson, 52, has been out of work since being sacked by Leicester City in June 2015, having taken the Foxes to Premier League safety.

Darren Wassall, who guided the Rams to fifth in the Championship before their play-off semi-final loss to Hull, will return to his role as academy director.

Former Derby left-back Chris Powell will join as Pearson's assistant.

Ex-Carlisle and Southampton manager Pearson was first appointed by Leicester in 2008, and led the club to promotion from League One during his first season in charge.

After losing to Cardiff in the Championship play-offs the follow season, he left the Foxes to take over at Hull - only to return to Leicester again less than 18 months later.

Pearson went on to lead them to the Premier League in 2014, but was sacked when relations between him and the club's board were "no longer viable".

The Foxes won seven and drew one of their last 10 games under Pearson to retain their top-flight status, which they went on to top as champions this season.

'The perfect appointment'

"Nigel is a proven winner, a highly experienced manager who has track record of success in the Championship," chairman Mel Morris told Derby's website.

"We believe Nigel is the perfect appointment and will build on the solid progress we have made in recent seasons but more importantly, will enable us to achieve our long-term objective of Premier League football."

Despite a spirited second-leg play-off performance against Hull, Derby failed to reach the final and will now spend a ninth consecutive season in the Championship.

They sacked manager Paul Clement in February despite being just five points off top spot, with Wassall taking over until the end of the season.

"Darren is a very talented man, who put his full energy and vigour into the task and we are delighted he will continue to play an important part in the club," added Derby president Sam Rush.

"Nigel is a highly sought-after, talented, manager and I know he will give us absolutely everything to make this club successful. I am excited with what the future holds."

I think it's always been his job to lose, right from Clements departure. 

I'd expect he'll hit the ground running, after all he's had plenty of time to assess what's needed, getting Powell in as his right hand man a great start.

One things for sure, Gibbo best up his game, interview wise, can't see Nigel putting up with him for long!

16 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

Had to get an ostrich pun in:lol: there didn't you.

You illiterate pleb.

Any fule knows that "Ostrichism " refers to the verb form of burying your head somewhere.

Ostracism derives, as anyone in the southern sunlit uplands, originally from "Osterreich-ism" which of course means to embrace all things Austrian. Mainly lederhosen and alpine horns.

Or something. ......:lol::lol:

I had to look into all these ostrich comments because, to be honest, I had no idea what they were referring to (I've not been in the habit of following Leicester very closely...ever!)

Now that I've seen that press conference - and this one - I like this guy even more. 

Said this yesterday but the ostrich incident and the Pat Murphy interview when watched through fresh eyes don't concern me at all. He remains fairly calm and gives it back when he feels it's warranted. Good. Want him on my side...

and I want the 'Pearson told me to f **K off and die' t-shirt mentioned earlier ASAP.

I think Pearson made it clear from the start that he was interested in the managers position at Derby. I'm sure MM and SR only want someone who wanted to manage Derby. I doubt they approached anyone for the job and waited to see who was interested in the job. I think it would have been harder if we had gone up or made the play off final. I think our form under Wassall was too inconsistent varying from brilliant to not turning up. In the end it made the decision quite easy. I'd say the manager and club fitted each other.

Well, he was never my ideal choice for the gig, would have preferred Warburton or that chappie that managed Watford until recently but he's got it and so I wish him success.

I'm quite sure he'll want to show his former employers how he would have progressed with them which can only be to our benefit so it's a good luck Nigel from me. 

19 minutes ago, eustonstation said:

I had to look into all these ostrich comments because, to be honest, I had no idea what they were referring to (I've not been in the habit of following Leicester very closely...ever!)

Now that I've seen that press conference - and this one - I like this guy even more. 

I've always stood by what I said at the time in that it was a pathetic attempt by Pat Murphy at trying to goad him, you could see NPs reaction within the first 20 seconds he knew he was trying to wind him up, basically Murphy came across as the bully imo.

Archived