Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I was at the game on Saturday. I thought Keogh had a reasonably good first half when we were often under the cosh and he was covering for other players who had 'gone missing' - I remember him coming over almost to the left back position on one occasion and putting in a terrific tackle when Olsson was half way up the field (as usual). Some of his headers (under pressure) were a bit wayward.

Second half we continued to be under the cosh as the manager chose to do nothing about the way we were being over-run at times and Keogh had his poorest half this season. He was poor. He wasn't the only one.

Up to Saturday I feel he has been outstanding this season but one poor half is all it takes for the usual suspects to be back on his case.

This forum doesn't deserve you or your consistently well thought out and articulate posts Angie.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you forgotten the dreadfully short header that they should have scored from, the getting absolutely roasted on the touch line for there guy to cross and there guy again missing a sitter, and the time Carson came out to carm him down when putting a diabolical pass to a team mate that clearly wasn't wanting it . This alone was all in the first half .

6 minutes ago, Key clubber said:

Have you forgotten the dreadfully short header that they should have scored from, the getting absolutely roasted on the touch line for there guy to cross and there guy again missing a sitter, and the time Carson came out to carm him down when putting a diabolical pass to a team mate that clearly wasn't wanting it . This alone was all in the first half .

Everyone makes mistakes though don't they.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Everyone makes mistakes though don't they.

The problem is the consistency and frequency of the mistakes. This game is all about making few mistakes; the better players make less. As a team, the less mistakes you make and the more chances you take the greater the team; it's a very simple formula.

10 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

The problem is the consistency and frequency of the mistakes. This game is all about making few mistakes; the better players make less. As a team, the less mistakes you make and the more chances you take the greater the team; it's a very simple formula.

He is consistently one of our best players.

5 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I'd agree with your first point, but this has nothing to do with Wembley, which was just one of those unfortunate things right at the end of the game. Continually bringing that up polarises the argument as a black or white situation, which it isn't.

It's not about making mistakes as such, it's about how good a player you are. Quality of player is a lot more than just about mistakes. He's proven himself to be good enough for a top 6 side, so fine. I'd like to build a side that looks at top 2, and I don't think that's him. Nor a few others.

You're right of course but, if you accept that he doesn't make any more mistakes than most, why do think he has been largely singled out since Wembley? 

4 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

This forum doesn't deserve you or your consistently well thought out and articulate posts Angie.

Hear hear I was also at the match and Podgey is spot on especially about the manager doing nothing  Most of the Keogh haters are only radio fans anyway 

39 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

But he makes at least one mistake a match often resulting in a goal. If they all did that we would be losing on average about 7 goals a match.

That's where the problem lies, when Keogh makes a mistake there's no-one to cover for him but when the rest do, he bails us out........ 

If everyone stopped focusing on his mistakes, as all championship players have in them, and looked at how many times he bails us out then you might hav a balanced view on things!

3 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

you might hav a balanced view on things

sic BTW .... If you read any comments that I have made in the past you will find that all of my views are balanced and well conceived, so you are obviously not speaking from experience. I never comment unless there are both sides to the debate and there are reasons to make a comment. In my opinion, although RK is a great guy and a stalwart for the club; he is a poor leader and prone to error, which because of his footballing position (i.e. in defence) makes his choice untenable. Quite simply,  If a goal keeper made the same amount errors then you would want him out.

However it doesn't stop there, over the last few years he has shown a propensity to lose his marbles on the pitch; likened to, to use my own words, a Viking Berserker. This does not set an example to the team and more to the point is easy to exploit by the opposition and in today's time of accessible video for all of every championship game (which wasn't always the case previously); it makes an easy job for the opponents strategists to work out an approach which will send him on his way.

Whilst I'm on I alluded to this tactic, particularly against Chris Martin, when we played 433 in the past. Good teams figure you out before we play. When we had Ince in the team,  I mentioned that if you cut out his move to the left then you stop him playing; and teams did. Go back to last year; just how many teams frustrated Derby on the pitch by wasting time and having mischievous niggles on Rams' players - part of the gamesmanship that goes on today.

I think that is part of what has happened when we play away, so far this year; the home team have done their homework and put the Derby spark out ASAP; then they set about exploiting weaknesses tactically. And the weakest link is.....?

It is up to GR to sort this out and get a balance too.

5 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Id say this forum deserves more well thought out and articulate posts.

Obviously not a job for me, but someone must be able to step up, surely!

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Id say this forum deserves more well thought out and articulate posts.

Obviously not a job for me, but someone must be able to step up, surely!

In addition to Richard f*****g Keogh, how good were our fans tonight? Singing in the p*****g rain. Our lads were herpres as well, clapping us after the game was called off. I bloody love Derby County. F*** me we only played 20 minutes and it was one ofy favourite ever games, absolutely cracking atmosphere. **** it I love @David too for this beautiful forum. Derby County is a black and white rammy wonderland. I love Derby County Football Club.

:ph34r:

Keogh is comfortably better than any other defender we've had over the past 15 years, certainly the most consistent, which I guess is open to interpretation to whether that's good or bad. 

I'd say there's not many players in the current team I'd ship out before Keogh either. In fact when it comes to their importance in the side, in comparison to their peers, I'd say he's probably the player I'd least like to lose along with Carson. Although, if Huddlestone or Johnson were to get injured or left at the moment then we'd be royally porked. 

I actually think Davies, Pearce & Shackell are solid enough defenders, but Keogh is a level or two ahead of all of them. 

Archived