Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Simple question for anyone who wants Keogh gone or has had enough of him, who do you suggest we go and sign that is within our budget and would represent an improvement?

And why did GR make him his figurehead ie captain?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

And why did GR make him his figurehead ie captain?

This could be down to GR's experiences with RK off the pitch.  There is no doubt in my mind that RK is great bloke off the pitch and in training, with lots of experience and the ear of all the other players. Unfortunately and it takes game time, you do not see the failings on pitch, without a few games behind you. This I where I feel Clement was astute - he had a better measure of the players than we understood at the time.

I have never doubted Keogh's passion. Just doubt his ability. 

That said, I have bored my self to death getting annoyed about him. I just laugh now. It's all you can do. The fella will be in a Derby shirt into his 60s no doubt, so in the words of King Billy, "It is what it is". 

33 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

This could be down to GR's experiences with RK off the pitch.  There is no doubt in my mind that RK is great bloke off the pitch and in training, with lots of experience and the ear of all the other players. Unfortunately and it takes game time, you do not see the failings on pitch, without a few games behind you. This I where I feel Clement was astute - he had a better measure of the players than we understood at the time.

You mean GR couldn't see Keoghs faults last season and on video. And then this season makes him captain?

the ONE constant in all our supposed under-achievement and uninspired performances over the last 4yrs is Keogh. We cannot blame Bryson, Russell, Hendrick, Buxton, Hughes or Martin, as none of them are regular starters now. BUT the same ineptitude remains. The same shambolic catastrophes recur.

It's not about sheer ability, it's not about attitude, it's not about average performances (against the lesser teams). It's in the percentages. It's the points thrown away weakly.

contrary to what you might think, I get no pleasure whatsoever in knowing I was right when I said 2-3 years ago that McClaren being sacked meant Keogh staying, which meant we are staying where we are in the football world. I was right.

5 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I thought Brentford away last season, and GRs visible rage afterwards, was the end of RK tbh. 

And I thought the signing of Davies at least meant he'd not be captain anymore. Although Keogh is error prone (which footballers aren't though) he's good enough at this level. The overall failure lies somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And I thought the signing of Davies at least meant he'd not be captain anymore. Although Keogh is error prone (which footballers aren't though) he's good enough at this level. The overall failure lies somewhere else.

At midtable to potential top 6 championship, he is good enough. Unfortunately that is our level and we appear to be settling for it. 

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That appears to be Richard Keogh's frequent viewpoint as well. He is OK but I would prefer a calmer influence at the back.

It makes you wonder how he's managed to play 453 league games and 35times for his country All the experts on here know more about him than Clough McLaren Pearson Clement Wassall Rowett and O'Neil who all pick him He's won player of the year 4times at his last3clubs Of course he's got a mistake in him every Championship player has that's why there not in the Prem  Carson cost us points at Sheff U should he be dropped  I'm not a biased Keogh fan doesn't really bother me who plays just put things into suspective 

42 minutes ago, Moist One said:

the ONE constant in all our supposed under-achievement and uninspired performances over the last 4yrs is Keogh. We cannot blame Bryson, Russell, Hendrick, Buxton, Hughes or Martin, as none of them are regular starters now. BUT the same ineptitude remains. The same shambolic catastrophes recur.

It's not about sheer ability, it's not about attitude, it's not about average performances (against the lesser teams). It's in the percentages. It's the points thrown away weakly.

contrary to what you might think, I get no pleasure whatsoever in knowing I was right when I said 2-3 years ago that McClaren being sacked meant Keogh staying, which meant we are staying where we are in the football world. I was right.

Peter Whittingham was at Cardiff for a collapse in 06/07 and four consecutive play-off losses. Must have been his fault, one constant. 

20 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

He's won player of the year 4times at his last3clubs

was that Carlisle and Coventry? lower league team and a relegated to lower league team?

See this is exactly the problem, he's a top 8 defender in a position where we need a top 2 defender.

Archived