Who would you appoint next season?

DarkFruitsRam7

Who would you appoint next season?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/18/2016 at 12:46, Anon said:

I find it absolutely unbelievable that some people genuinely think Pearson is better than Rodgers. Rodgers got a team promoted from the championship with far fewer resources at his disposal than Pearson and never looked like going down once he was there. He also guided Liverpool to a 2nd place finish when people were questioning if they would even get a champions league spot at the start of the season.

There is absolutely nothing in their comparitive records to even suggest that Pearson is on the same level as Rodgers.

Pearson won league 1. Finished in the play offs twice. Ran away with the league at an absolute canter and demolished our beloved 'MAC side' at their place. Spent peanuts in comparison to others and had Leicester finishing 14th in their first season creating the foundations for their wonder season this year. 

Rodgers went into a side already playing beautiful, attacking football. Everyone knew their job from the chairman to the tea lady. Yes he took them up but his achievement in terms of promotion were nowhere near Pearson's. At Liverpool granted he did very well but he was fortunate enough to have the best striker on the planet at the time scoring goals for fun, Sturridge having his least injury prone spell and the lack of expectation from the supporters and media that the likes of Liverpool haven't experienced for a long time. 

Pearson getting Leicester to finish 14th given their position at the turn of the year was a bigger achievement for me. They had no right to stay up when they were so far a drift and yet his squad, his team ethic and his football had time flying up the table. It wasn't a fluke either - they were playing very good football all season but missing that bit of quality in the final third/getting bad decisions going against them etc. 

If we were appointing a manager at the end of December in MACs second season then yeah Rodgers would have taken us up. Would he take us up with the mess we're in at the moment? If it was my money I'd be looking towards Pearson for that. He seems much more up for the fight than Rodgers. (literally as well as figuratively...) 

Anyway out of those above I'd go with Pearson though I think we really missed a trick not sacking MAC sooner and getting Hughton in when the ship first started sinking. He sorted Newcastle's team of prima donnas out and took them straight back up first time of asking under immense pressure from the fans (sound familiar?) and now he's doing very well with a Brighton team that were mediocre last year. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

I think Rowett would walk to Derby for the job (from his house in the area :D) and gets my vote.

Appointing a 'big name' like Rodgers or Moyles would be a mistake IMO as they would view us as a stepping stone. 

Not sure if he would fit the bill, not enough managerial experience and didn't he get sacked from his last job at Radio 1?

Went for other - I think Michael Laudrup could do a job and he's available again in the summer. Also wondered whether Dennis Bergkamp could step up from his role at Ajax...

Both unlikely though, I've a sneaking feeling it'll be someone thoroughly uninspiring...

I went for other, and that other would be Gary Rowett, always talks a lot of sense, was a very good player for us, and he will get better, with the more experience he gets. But we must give him time, can not be sacking him after 6 months, at least 2 years to get club, into the premiership, playing the game in the correct manner, and that manner is a winning manner.

I think it's a poisoned chalice at the minute... This next appointment is absolutely critical for me.

Two mistakes in 8 months in my own personal view. Hope it's 3rd time lucky...

No gimmicks, no PR stunts... Just want football with no bells on please to talk about.

Bergkamp would be the very thing we are trying to avoid , with a name as big as his if he came in did a good job he would be poached by one of the top 5 first time a slot became available and not having had a shot at it he would jump at the chance to try his luck at one,, no for me that's where a Rogers or moyes have the edge , they have tasted that role and may be ready to look at something long term with the right club ala a Brian clough type thing ala going to a mid sized club and doing something special long term , I know if I were Rogers or moyes at this point in my career with the experience and jobs they have had , doing something special with a club like Derby would hold a certain challenge and an opportunity to really shine and show my abilities

I have to say I like the idea of Moyes experience and his record at Everton to build something solid with real team togetherness. Something that we are lacking at the moment. Frankly though, so many ex prem men like Moyes would simply do a Steve Mac and see us as a stepping stone. 

I still haven't voted because I just don't know. My gut says Rowett might just be the right man.... if he wants to come.. And that is the test .. You want someone who has ability and wants not just the job but is excited that it's DCFC. That kind of desire is infectious. 

Still ... For now DW is the man ... Just maybe he can make it work. 

Archived