Who would you appoint next season?

DarkFruitsRam7

Who would you appoint next season?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top three would be:

1. Martin O'Neill (consistently praised Derby throughout his career and has four Rams in his Republic squad, three of whom beat the World Champions to help them qualify for the Euros). If I recall, Gadsby nearly got O'Neill here and those were the reasons behind the "raise the roof" comments.
  2. Brendan Rogers. Recharging his batteries and waiting to see what opportunities are available. I don't think he understands Derby as a football club and football city in the way O'Neill does. Took Swansea up before moving on to Liverpool.
  3. Michael Laudrup. The manager who established Swansea in the Premier League, playing fabulous football and winning their first ever major trophy. Currently available I believe. No I don't want his replacement at Swansea who some of the press have been linking us with.

Rogers and Laudrup have similar styles. O'Neill is more pragmatic. But I think O'Neill would be a safe pair of hands putting us on an upward trajectory.

What of Wassall? If we storm promotion, he deserves the job. Otherwise, I hope he'd be happy returning to the U21s, but that's extremely unlikely, It's the risk Morris has taken that by giving him this taste of honey in managing the first team, he's likely to move on if not appointed full time and we lose him from the academy. Morris would have known that when appointing him, unless he's stupid (and we have to hope he isn't stupid).

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

My top three would be:

1. Martin O'Neill (consistently praised Derby throughout his career and has four Rams in his Republic squad, three of whom beat the World Champions to help them qualify for the Euros). If I recall, Gadsby nearly got O'Neill here and those were the reasons behind the "raise the roof" comments.
  2. Brendan Rogers. Recharging his batteries and waiting to see what opportunities are available. I don't think he understands Derby as a football club and football city in the way O'Neill does. Took Swansea up before moving on to Liverpool.
  3. Michael Laudrup. The manager who established Swansea in the Premier League, playing fabulous football and winning their first ever major trophy. Currently available I believe. No I don't want his replacement at Swansea who some of the press have been linking us with.

Rogers and Laudrup have similar styles. O'Neill is more pragmatic. But I think O'Neill would be a safe pair of hands putting us on an upward trajectory.

What of Wassall? If we storm promotion, he deserves the job. Otherwise, I hope he'd be happy returning to the U21s, but that's extremely unlikely, It's the risk Morris has taken that by giving him this taste of honey in managing the first team, he's likely to move on if not appointed full time and we lose him from the academy. Morris would have known that when appointing him, unless he's stupid (and we have to hope he isn't stupid).

I'd be happy with any of those three, but getting Martin O'Neill here would be awesome.  I really do believe we'd have a chance of securing him too.  He's out of contract after the Euros, he is used to the East Midlands and he has experience with 4 of our players already.  If Wassall does well for us, maybe he could have a major role in O'Neill's backroom team.

1 minute ago, SecretDave said:

I'd be happy with any of those three, but getting Martin O'Neill here would be awesome.  I really do believe we'd have a chance of securing him too.  He's out of contract after the Euros, he is used to the East Midlands and he has experience with 4 of our players already.  If Wassall does well for us, maybe he could have a major role in O'Neill's backroom team.

didn't he also buy Darren Bent? (assuming your four are the Oirish lads), was he still at Villa when Weimann broke through? was he Warnock's manager too?

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

didn't he also buy Darren Bent? (assuming your four are the Oirish lads), was he still at Villa when Weimann broke through? was he Warnock's manager too?

Think he did both

but lets not forget he has a ? track record of being to out spoken and emotional with Chairman at footie clubs (Celtic, Sunderland, Villa).

Probably right at Villa!!!

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

When was Martin O'Neill  last successful with an English club?

I think he's a dog who's had his day.

Jack Charlton was a good manager of a national team but there weren't many clubs clamouring for his services.

well, I'd say just look at what happened to the clubs he left after they underestimated his value!

Just looked on Wiki, O'Neill left Villa in 2010, Bent signed in 2011.  Weimann was just breaking in to the team though before O'Neill left, so he knows him.  He also signed Stephen Warnock and had Scott Carson on a very successful one year loan spell.  So that's 7 players he has experience of from our current squad.  Connor Sammon too if that counts, though doubt he'll be here next season!

Reading some of these posts makes me think I'm on a Leeds Utd forum - Brendan Rodgers? David Moyes? Martin O'Neill?! Absolutely zero chance of any of them & people slagging them off are kidding themselves if any would consider Derby a viable option - even if newly promoted.

Although I think Clement was harshly treated, I was never keen on his appointment or the appointment of any rookie manager - the expectation of the club & the attritional grind of the division lends itself more to an experienced manager - preferably a pragmatist rather than an idealist. On that basis, I'd be very keen on someone like Nigel Pearson, who did a very good job at Leicester & arguably laid the platform for their current success. The Leicester team that went up 2 years ago were one of the strongest I've ever seen in the second tier.

I'm also a big fan of Sean Dyche - again, a pragmatist rather than a purist but with a good track record at a couple of clubs now. I do think Derby are a more attractive long term proposition than Burnley but the situation at Turf Moor looks a lot more stable than ours currently.

16 minutes ago, rynny said:

One person that won't be getting the job

:ph34r:

Thank goodness for that.

Much as it pains me to say it, I'm coming round to the idea of Pearson. Just hope he's undergone some anger management (without losing the passion if that's possible) and media training. 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Thank goodness for that.

Much as it pains me to say it, I'm coming round to the idea of Pearson. Just hope he's undergone some anger management (without losing the passion if that's possible) and media training. 

He could have been gelded... problem is a gelding operation can take away their competitiveness  

I was interested when MM appointed PC, for me it showed that MM wants to empower 'young blood' which is in itself is exciting but a gamble as has been proven, it sounds as if PC had his own agenda and wanted promotion badly, which obviously would have made him very 'hot property', and i believe that appealed to him ( he was an obviously ambitious man) but it cost him his job. If MM decides to go that route again, then Markus Weinzierl is a very interesting guy, young, talented, and has seen his fair share of sucess already with FC Ausberg, For me, Weinzierl is one of the bright young stars in the European game after his achievements with lowly Augsburg became headline news all over. He's 40 years old guided them to the first-ever European qualification in their history. He seems a shrewd and tactically astute man and has proved adept at doing more with less (his Ausberg team cost around a million) and is surely destined for bigger things both inside and outside of the Bundesliga.

If not him, then Brendan Rogers,  but he to me seems a bit full of himself, but a good manager non the less...

I don't buy into this.....PC wanted promotion this season so was sacked nonsense, after all isn't that why we play in a league?

So if we get promotion with DW he will get sacked as well?

Complete nonsense out of the Derby PR room.

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

I don't buy into this.....PC wanted promotion this season so was sacked nonsense, after all isn't that why we play in a league?

So if we get promotion with DW he will get sacked as well?

Complete nonsense out of the Derby PR room.

I think you miss the point, Clement was more interested in being a Billy Davies and getting promoted and another job in the PL than leading Derby to sustained success. 

Why can you not grasp this??? 

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think you miss the point, Clement was more interested in being a Billy Davies and getting promoted and another job in the PL than leading Derby to sustained success. 

Why can you not grasp this??? 

Clement told you this then did he........................Listen we play to win games, we play to be successful and that means winning games and when you win games you either win the title or get promoted if you are in a lower league.

PR bloody nonsense keeps rising its head..........

You have your opinion, i have mine,im sure neither of us know exactly why he was sacked, but as i said, from what ive heard and read, MM obviously didn't like what he saw emerging from PC's short tenure, i believe it was PC's own agenda/direction not being on the same page as MM ... or is there another reason you know of as to why he was sacked ? Im not being salty, i honestly would like to know ....

Archived