Clement gone.

Rev

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Camara - hardly had a kick - playing in a new league - (some £20m players have dodgy first seasons)

Blackman- Not yet played in his position - not had a chance yet

But hey lets not welcome them and make them part of the team - lets write them off 

He has played once as a striker for us. Reading at home i think?

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Not sure about why this has happened without a replacement.

This is my only gripe with the decision. If our season was dead and buried then yeah get an interim but we're 5 points off top spot! They knew Clement was their man before they sacked Mac so surely they should know who they want now?!

1 hour ago, admira said:

Saturdays line-up then:

Mitchell, Ssewankambo, Buxton, Koblenz, Macdonald; Hanson, Guy, Elsnik, Santos, Calero, Vernam

Don't mind them 2 being involved, Thorne out and distribution from the back has been dreadful in recent weeks

6 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Camara - hardly had a kick - playing in a new league - (some £20m players have dodgy first seasons)

Blackman- Not yet played in his position - not had a chance yet

But hey lets not welcome them and make them part of the team - lets write them off 

Blackman is rubbish, his goalscoring record over his entire career is rubbish, he has had a blip this season where he has got a few goals but even before he signed for us he hadn't scored in 2 months...13 in 30 games this season is still a poor return...51 in 221 games....give me strength...that is shocking.

Judging from many of the posts in this thread it may be that there has been a knee jerk reaction to this sacking with people assuming Clement was sacked because of poor results and performances. That might be the case but I would have thought that something has happened that we just don't know about. Can't imagine MM sacking him for poor results at this stage of the season. Far more likely that he was put into a position where Clement had to go. Who knows?

The only certain thing is that we now have a caretaker manager. Let's hope the "new manager effect" kicks in on Saturday

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

After reading this http://mobile.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/paul-clement-to-leave-derby-county-2946021.aspx

"The priorities were building on the Derby way and style of football enjoyed in the past two seasons; adding depth and strength to our playing squad; and, developing and improving player and team performance. "

It sounds like they weren't happy with the type of football we were playing - I still think he should have been given the whole season though.

Well if they weren't happy with the style of football then whoever thought Cement would be the man should also leave. 

I can't read through the whole thread, but I imagine a lot of my thoughts will have been touched on. 

I was pissed off following the sacking of Nigel Clough and I was pissed off following the sacking of Steve McClaren, but I'm not at all bothered about the sacking of Paul Clement. I could rattle a whole list of reasons why, but I'll just stick to the main few. 

Performances - there has been a steady string of below-average to average performances, with the odd good and bad one thrown in. It seems like we've been stuck in second gear for the most of the season and the excitement that McClaren brought to our team was all but gone under Clement. 

Players going backwards - I have seen a number of people berate our signings, but players we've watched for 2-3 seasons and grown to love have been just as bad. Nick Blackman has had a lot of stick since he has come in, but has he done any worse than Ince, Russell...etc during the same period of time he has been here. No. It's just that the players, especially in attacking positions, have been criminally used. 

Young players - I know we've got a very experienced squad, but I'm at the point where I can't see any of them getting the chance. Hanson, who I imagine is the closest to the first team, would probably need a bus crash to get a full 90. I'm not saying play the young players at the expense of the squad and the team, but there needs to be more trust. I don't get why we can't have the best performer from the u21s on the bench every week. It gives them a little motivation to show the door is open. 

The imbalance - The Bradley Johnson scenario is perfect for this. I mean, we've bought a player that has just had the best season in his career playing left midfield, scoring 15-odd goals, and bang him straight back into his old position where he has earned of a reputation of being 'alright'. I'm not saying he's not a good utility player, but he needs to be played in his preferred position. The balance upfront has been outrageously bad and the three in midfield have been far too deep. 

The captaincy - I don't get why you make a player captain and drop him within the first few weeks of the season. I'm not saying Baird should be playing, but more so that he shouldn't be captain. Shackell, Keogh, Thorne.. they're the players that are almost guaranteed to play when they're fit. I'd look to them first. 

... there's a load more but I'm already getting sick of the sound of the keyboard. 

All in all, I think it's a good decision for everyone involved. It seems to me that Clement took on too big of a job and didn't have the experience to turn it round. Wassall, i'm sure, will only be a stop gap until we can find the right man for the job.

If the players weren't happy, I don't think you can have much of a choice. 

I just hope that Wassall, or whoever, can bring out the best in the players that can make a difference.  

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I can't read through the whole thread, but I imagine a lot of my thoughts will have been touched on. 

I was pissed off following the sacking of Nigel Clough and I was pissed off following the sacking of Steve McClaren, but I'm not at all bothered about the sacking of Paul Clement. I could rattle a whole list of reasons why, but I'll just stick to the main few. 

Performances - there has been a steady string of below-average to average performances, with the odd good and bad one thrown in. It seems like we've been stuck in second gear for the most of the season and the excitement that McClaren brought to our team was all but gone under Clement. 

Players going backwards - I have seen a number of people berate our signings, but players we've watched for 2-3 seasons and grown to love have been just as bad. Nick Blackman has had a lot of stick since he has come in, but has he done any worse than Ince, Russell...etc during the same period of time he has been here. No. It's just that the players, especially in attacking positions, have been criminally used. 

Young players - I know we've got a very experienced squad, but I'm at the point where I can't see any of them getting the chance. Hanson, who I imagine is the closest to the first team, would probably need a bus crash to get a full 90. I'm not saying play the young players at the expense of the squad and the team, but there needs to be more trust. I don't get why we can't have the best performer from the u21s on the bench every week. It gives them a little motivation to show the door is open. 

The imbalance - The Bradley Johnson scenario is perfect for this. I mean, we've bought a player that has just had the best season in his career playing left midfield, scoring 15-odd goals, and bang him straight back into his old position where he has earned of a reputation of being 'alright'. I'm not saying he's not a good utility player, but he needs to be played in his preferred position. The balance upfront has been outrageously bad and the three in midfield have been far too deep. 

The captaincy - I don't get why you make a player captain and drop him within the first few weeks of the season. I'm not saying Baird should be playing, but more so that he shouldn't be captain. Shackell, Keogh, Thorne.. they're the players that are almost guaranteed to play when they're fit. I'd look to them first. 

... there's a load more but I'm already getting sick of the sound of the keyboard. 

All in all, I think it's a good decision for everyone involved. It seems to me that Clement took on too big of a job and didn't have the experience to turn it round. Wassall, i'm sure, will only be a stop gap until we can find the right man for the job.

If the players weren't happy, I don't think you can have much of a choice. 

I just hope that Wassall, or whoever, can bring out the best in the players that can make a difference.  

agree with all of this.....spot on

His team selections were questionable at times, and he never seemed to make adjustments, ever. I got the impression he wasn't ready for a manager position yet. Appointing Wassall makes me think they're writing off this year, and will start fresh again next year. Shocked Moyes wasn't announced, to be honest. He did well at Everton. 

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Can everyone stop posting for half an hour please. I've just heard and every time I've read a page another 2 are added. Will be here until midnight at this rate!

1. Mel was naïve in the first instance to say Clement would be here at least until the end of the season - he shouldn't have been so specific.

2. It's unbelievable if this decision has been taken with no potential replacement having been sounded out. Names I've seen so far - Rogers, Sherwood, Pearson, Moyes - no thanks. Just waiting for someone to suggest Billy Davies, Steve Slug Evans, Holloway and Neil Warnock then I know I will wake up and all this is a bad dream.

2. Clement was brought in as coach so although he was probably consulted on transfers, the blame for some of the awful signings should possibly be placed at someone else's door.

3. I do wonder if the 'early-bird' season ticket deadline has helped to bring forward this decision?

4. We have 16 games to play so the sooner we get playing again the better!

Well that's another 5 pages added while I was writing this ?

Please write shorter posts Wolfie20, I am three pages behind now.

Archived