The view from the outside 15/16

Ambitious

49 minutes ago, Kernow said:

He's not the best on the ball, which is to be expected as he's a keeper but I do wish he would stop trying to do risky things. Didn't he try to take a player on in the Forest game? It was one game on TV definitely... also the backpass thing, was a bit of a naff back-pass but a poor control, which he then tried to handle which could have led to a goal, penalty or indirect free-kick in our area.

I think we've been spoiled all this time by Granty... I remember rumours when he was with us the first time that he was a decent outfield player as well (at least technically) so good with his feet...

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had a major overhaul in the first team. Carson, Warnock, Shackell, Butterfield, Johnson. Ince and Weimann and Thorne is a very big change from before Xmas arrivals. Only Keogh, Christie and Martin have stayed as regulars from December 2014. Maclaren's greatest contribution to the Rams - George Thorne.

6 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I think we've been spoiled all this time by Granty... I remember rumours when he was with us the first time that he was a decent outfield player as well (at least technically) so good with his feet...

I never thought Grant got enough credit for this. For a goalkeeper at least I thought he was two footed. He'd have me purring when he would chip the ball over the forwards head to a player in the fullback type area, right foot or left. 

13 hours ago, cannable said:

I never thought Grant got enough credit for this. For a goalkeeper at least I thought he was two footed. He'd have me purring when he would chip the ball over the forwards head to a player in the fullback type area, right foot or left. 

I agree with you there Cannable, it was only when we brought Butland in on loan did I realise how good Grant was with his feet. 

nevthelodgemoorowl, on 30 Nov 2015 - 3:01 PM, said:

September 1969 Derby County came to Hillsborough with a more than decent side, unbeaten and top of the League in what would prove to be our swan song in the top league.

More than 45,000 were in the ground to see one of our better performances that season and were sent into raptures as Alan Warboys notched a first half winner.

Derby fell away after Christmas to finish 5th or 6th. We were to win only a further 5 games to the end of the season including a 3 on the bounce at the end of February but that proved to be the first of many false dawns.  

I'll settle for a repeat performance of our 1969 win over Derby on Saturday 

What a day that was!   I was taunted mercilessly at school (near Chesterfield) by lads who had suddenly become Derby fans when they went up .  Brian Clough was the talk of the country, Derby brought loads, and we were, frankly, useless.  I feared the worst and couldn't believe it when Warboys scored ( no film of it exists does it) in front of us.  We went berserk and ended up miles away from our place.  Even then, I thought Derby would come back.   School waqs brilliant on the Monday!

Above from the Wendys board talking about the 1969 fixture. This was my first away game so remember it well, the ground and crowd seemed massive, especially the Kop which erupted into a sizeable scrap right in the middle and a hole formed in the crowd, people of my generation will recognise the description! Unfortunately as the Wendys rightly recall, we were expected to win but lost to a Warboys goal, diving header I think but may be wrong on that. Anyone else there?

On 01/12/2015, 19:40:38, Eatonram said:

nevthelodgemoorowl, on 30 Nov 2015 - 3:01 PM, said:

September 1969 Derby County came to Hillsborough with a more than decent side, unbeaten and top of the League in what would prove to be our swan song in the top league.

More than 45,000 were in the ground to see one of our better performances that season and were sent into raptures as Alan Warboys notched a first half winner.

Derby fell away after Christmas to finish 5th or 6th. We were to win only a further 5 games to the end of the season including a 3 on the bounce at the end of February but that proved to be the first of many false dawns.  

I'll settle for a repeat performance of our 1969 win over Derby on Saturday 

What a day that was!   I was taunted mercilessly at school (near Chesterfield) by lads who had suddenly become Derby fans when they went up .  Brian Clough was the talk of the country, Derby brought loads, and we were, frankly, useless.  I feared the worst and couldn't believe it when Warboys scored ( no film of it exists does it) in front of us.  We went berserk and ended up miles away from our place.  Even then, I thought Derby would come back.   School waqs brilliant on the Monday!

Above from the Wendys board talking about the 1969 fixture. This was my first away game so remember it well, the ground and crowd seemed massive, especially the Kop which erupted into a sizeable scrap right in the middle and a hole formed in the crowd, people of my generation will recognise the description! Unfortunately as the Wendys rightly recall, we were expected to win but lost to a Warboys goal, diving header I think but may be wrong on that. Anyone else there?

No but I was at this:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-away-day-memorable-Rams-couldn-t/story-28298656-detail/story.html

My only ever visit to anfield. And like the writer of this I would have been 14 or 15 at the time.

My memories were that even the away end seemed to have way too many liverpool fans in it with red scarves on. Other memories include us being not very good on the night, Liverpool being mostly underwhelming, the Goal, the trophy lifting, the Dalglish sub, getting biggest cheer of the night from them. My final and biggest memory was a certain Kevin bruno Francis coming on as sub for us. You remember, the guy who was almost 7 foot tall, and the Kop singing to us "What the f***ing hell is that!?"

Apologies for this having nothing to do with Sheffield Wednesday what so ever.

Decided to read the Brighton forum, score predictions there mostly favour a draw followed by a 2-1 win for us. A thread about our flag preparations has us labelled as tinpot and 'gay'. Slightly pathetic that Brighton at home is a massive game for us apparently which is funny as we couldn't give a **** who it is against except for florest. There are some OK posters there and after how gracious they were when we outclassed them on and off the pitch in the playoffs I've got to say reading it is disappointing.

Where they get this attitude from for a club that has achieved very little and recently spent seasons playing on an athletics ground I do not know.

14 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Decided to read the Brighton forum, score predictions there mostly favour a draw followed by a 2-1 win for us. A thread about our flag preparations has us labelled as tinpot and 'gay'. Slightly pathetic that Brighton at home is a massive game for us apparently which is funny as we couldn't give a **** who it is against except for florest. There are some OK posters there and after how gracious they were when we outclassed them on and off the pitch in the playoffs I've got to say reading it is disappointing.

Where they get this attitude from for a club that has achieved very little and recently spent seasons playing on an athletics ground I do not know.

I went to register on their forum to clarify the flags are there all the time and they aren't special, really just to make some of them feel a bit dim, but I never received a verification E-mail! 

That forum's got nothing on dcfcfans!

20 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Oh the irony...

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I went to register on their forum to clarify the flags are there all the time and they aren't special, really just to make some of them feel a bit dim, but I never received a verification E-mail! 

That forum's got nothing on dcfcfans!

Go on Twitter and type @northstandchat you'll see the picture there. 

1 minute ago, The 1884 Group said:

Another 6 hours of my own time today brings the total to 10 hours of volunteering, plus another 4 tomorrow. That to me says it's not tinpot!

Don't listen to a word of it. The fact that opposition fans have noted it and felt the need to discredit your work shows the impact it has had.

I remember Derby fans' reactions to the QPR flags at Wembley 2014. Similar shouts of 'tinpot' and 'embarassing'. Was because there was some jealousy for the idea. Think we can all admit now that their flags looked pretty good that day...

...even if it was all out of the chairman's pocket and not fan funded like us :D

Ian Holloway 
Football Expert
Steve Cotterill's men have showed real ability on the road this season, beating Middlesbrough earlier on in the campaign and Huddersfield at the weekend. They won't fear Derby despite the fact Paul Clement's men have only lost one game at home this season. Those top two are starting to pull a little clear of Derby after two draws in a row and the crowd will be expecting them to turn it on for this one. That could work in City's favour.

OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-1

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/32817/10099834/ollies-predictions-qpr-to-end-brightons-run-bristol-city-to-stun-derby

:whistle: :whistle:

Archived