The view from the outside 15/16

Ambitious

This time, everyone (Derby fans) are saying our defense is a fortress, yet we're still making the odd mistake, mostly a mix up or miscommunication at the back. At least one pretty serious one each game, which, on another day, should have been pounced on. 

Fortress? I think you may be going a BIT overboard there... most Derby fans I've seen/spoken to are saying "Isn't it nice to have a semi-decent defence again... and Keogh is a monster all of a sudden"

REAL difference this season? Mr Thorne...

Warnock and Baird both a little on the slow side... Shotton is still WOEFUL... and TheShack has NOT been the defensive rock everyone (me included) thought he would be...

However... Fozzy is still one of the best LBs in the league... Christie seems to have taken a step up this season... and Keogh is a whole new man this year... really showing Shackell up IMO... think last 2 years he was trying to do all the defending on his own where now he just plays a pivotal role in a 5/6 man defence...

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortress? I think you may be going a BIT overboard there... most Derby fans I've seen/spoken to are saying "Isn't it nice to have a semi-decent defence again... and Keogh is a monster all of a sudden"

REAL difference this season? Mr Thorne...

Warnock and Baird both a little on the slow side... Shotton is still WOEFUL... and TheShack has NOT been the defensive rock everyone (me included) thought he would be...

However... Fozzy is still one of the best LBs in the league... Christie seems to have taken a step up this season... and Keogh is a whole new man this year... really showing Shackell up IMO... think last 2 years he was trying to do all the defending on his own where now he just plays a pivotal role in a 5/6 man defence...

Amuses me that we've only won one game with him in the side, but he has been excellent.

probably the wrong thread for it, but this is something that has worried me. 

Last season, when we went all ****, our defense didn't suddenly crumble overnight, it just seemed like every little mistake was pounced on and cost us. We'd been making at least one mistake per game, and getting away with it, and I think most teams do, so that's not really an issue. 

This time, everyone (Derby fans) are saying our defense is a fortress, yet we're still making the odd mistake, mostly a mix up or miscommunication at the back. At least one pretty serious one each game, which, on another day, should have been pounced on. 

Its not really any different to what it was last season. 

Or am I worrying about nothing. 

I think generally our defence looks more organised. At the end of last season (as this was also partly due to the all or nothing approach) we looked like conceding every time the opposition came into our half.

This season, regardless of the odd mistake we do actually look organised and confident.

Amuses me that we've only won one game with him in the side, but he has been excellent.

I hadn't noticed that... I'd say (for me) our 2 most impressive performances so far have been the Boro and Burnley games where he was a commanding presence... Not getting pushed around anymore in midfield and just controlling the game from that DM spot...

http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?28966-Derby-(A)-build-up-18-10

"Yeah, that defence is diabolical for a top end club at this level. Wouldn't want a single one here. Nor the keeper."

"Good midfield and forward line up, and they've picked up their form lately but I'm still confident we can get something. Their back four is pretty dreadful"

Good thing our back line is dreadful and that all of their back 5 would get in ahead of any of ours...

Taking to 2 Wolves fans on the tram afterwards 'We just can't compete against powerful, pacy teams, enjoy the Premiership.'.

Some turnaround when we're seen as a powerful, pacy side.

Power is the difference - see Bradley Johnson for details. Norwich lost 6-2 to McClaren's Newcasle United team today. They could have done with Bradley today!

Just had a read through their match thread. I just don't understand where they get the idea that our defence is diabolical. At the start of the match we were joint lowest in goals conceded.

There are now only seven teams conceded more than their magnificent defence.

Just had a read through their match thread. I just don't understand where they get the idea that our defence is diabolical. At the start of the match we were joint lowest in goals conceded.

There are now only seven teams conceded more than their magnificent defence.

I want to see your nose!

Some quotes from Wolves:

KJ has far too much respect for Derby County IMO. He's got a boner for Chris Martin a mile long (as evidenced by the way he's tried to turn every Wolves striker over 5"6 into him. Even Leon FFS)

think the manager is the fundamental reason we lost that game. It's down to Derby spending £20m over the summer and man for man, being better than us (as far as the midfield/forwards go, and how they operate as a unit) - we aren't going to face many better midfielders than Bradley Johnson this season, he cost £6m, we aren't in that market

We were second best today. Sometimes this happens, and we have to accept it. Derby have spent heavily in their squad, and after a poor start they are now showing why they will be in the mix for promotion come the end of the season.

I would argue Martin is the best forward in the division. Derby are screwed if they lose him.

Still find it funny how they thought we had a bad defence, if ours is bad theirs is horrendous. Batth just couldn't cope with Martin. Think the two goals we conceded were soft and avoidable. I do think they will be in the mix come the end of the season. 

I really couldn't fathom how poor Batth was yesterday, absolute sh1t3.  If he's their best defender, their comments on our defense being shaky is beyond hypocritical, it's insane!

Iorfa was just as bad. Woeful defender, who is just so athletic he digs himself out of his own mess repeatedly.

Their whole back 5 were toilet.  Golbourne was probably the pick of the bunch, but that's only because Ince was off his game.

Does anybody know why the commentators were so full of praise for McDonald???  He was absolute pony and for such a, supposed, quality passer of the ball he gave it up a hell of a lot.

Few snippets from the footballforum.net

Better team won. We had a few moments but we played into Derbys hands by having Wallace on the left, made us far too narrow and I'd have made targeting their full backs a priority. Ojo was as anonymous as Wallace and I'd send him back to Liverpool personally. As maligned as he is, at least RvLP will do something 

Overall I expected to lose by 1 or 2 and it's exactly as happened really. I think conceding the third after the penalty save killed us but if we did score I always felt Derby could go up a gear and restore that lead. Had us firmly at arms length and you'd have to fancy them to be top two. Overall I'm not too gutted because we won't play many Derbys this season, onto the next.

and

Chris Martin was the key today, couldn't cope with his strength, power and movement. Cracking forward one of the best in all departments in this division.

finally

No complaints from me, Derby by far the better side. Even without the shambolic defending they'd have probably found a way to beat us. I said this last year and ended up with not just an egg but a whole omelette on my face, but they're probably the team to beat this year.

As far as we're concerned, bit of a reality check I think. It's hard enough to get results away from home in this League, if you give goals away though it's nigh on impossible. 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals very avoidable. Without Martinez too it could have been a lot worse. At least we had a go though, and for a little spell when it was 1-1 I thought we were genuinely on top, but couldn't make it count. They got back in front, and that was it really. The third goal absolutely killed us, the second penalty we've conceded this season in first half stoppage time. For the keeper to pull of a save, only to concede from the corner, that's inexcusable really. 

At least it weren't 5-0 I suppose. Already looking forward to the next game now.

Just having a gander at the Blackburn forum....

"I've no doubt we will net as I think Richard Keogh is a defensive clown and an accident waiting to happen"

"The only prediction I can make is that Derby will score. In the corresponding game last season they footballed us to death and Chris Martin gave a lesson on how to play the lone striker role."

"Watched Derby on Sunday light years in front of us ....

Defeat , with Bowyer citing our season starts on Saturday !"

Just having a gander at the Blackburn forum....

"I've no doubt we will net as I think Richard Keogh is a defensive clown and an accident waiting to happen"

"The only prediction I can make is that Derby will score. In the corresponding game last season they footballed us to death and Chris Martin gave a lesson on how to play the lone striker role."

"Watched Derby on Sunday light years in front of us ....

Defeat , with Bowyer citing our season starts on Saturday !"

When did Troy become a Rovers fan?

Archived