Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about what people's default position is. Clearly some don't want him to succeed, rather than just thinking he won't. In the case of our esteemed friend super rams, I suspect that's because he's not a Derby fan.

While slightly different to what you wrote, I don't think backing the manager and openly doubting him can be combined. 

We want our team to succeed, but rather than bury my head in the sand like yourself, I am questioning what we have all seen take place in August by a new coach. The performances, the results and the interviews Clement gives are not what I have expected........

I don't buy into the hype of he has been here, he's been there, simply he is here and things are not right on the field.......

We want our team to succeed, but rather than bury my head in the sand like yourself, I am questioning what we have all seen take place in August by a new coach. The performances, the results and the interviews Clement gives are not what I have expected........

I don't buy into the hype of he has been here, he's been there, simply he is here and things are not right on the field.......

sleep safe in the knowledge that if your suspicions are correct and Clement is a duffer, the next manager will have a great squad to coach.

Thanks for your answers @Mostyn6 @Alpha and @rynny  that's proper chat, not one cheap dig in there, exaclty the way it should be!!

It's gone right off on a tangent and now i'm turning it into a proper Nigel thread. It wasn't meant to be that way, but i always answer points raised.

For those saying Sam gave him,  longer than 9 games, fair enough, he got two transfer windows.

Sam was appointed on September the 12th 2012 after the summer window had closed.

Nige had the January window, I'm not sure how much he spent during that 2012 summer but it wan't a lot. He signed Jacobs. Coutts, Keogh, Freeman and Sammon but paid for them by selling Steve Davies, Chris Maguire and Jason Shackell. he finished that season 10th - progress, whether it was by a point or by a goal, progress.

He then had the following summer window, which was arguably the first time he had any kind of cash, he signed Grant, Forsyth, Martin and Russell but again he recouped some, if not all of that by selling Brayford and AT THAT POINT he told us all, including Sam Rush that it was the first time he had a top 6 squad. We never got the chance to find out.

When the fixture list came out I wrote a piece on here saying I hope the board don't lose their bottle after the first block of 10 games and got slaughtered for it. They didn't, they lost their bottle after 9.

He got 9 games with that squad. Fair enough it took a long time to shape it but he shaped it constantly cutting money off the wage bill and every season spending a quarter of what they gave Steve in one summer

That's what bugs me by the way...he never had a bean, he had to beg for the cash to sign Tom Naylor, his remit was cut, cut ,cut oh and by the way improve. Alpha said Derby was a bang average club throughout his reign, I'll tell you where we weren't bang average, we weren't bang average on the wage bill, we were bottom 6.

Now we're shpunting cash left right and centre through a manager who'd never managed a game, never picked a side.

Sod it, later on I'm posting my  Why I don't like Sam Rush post, it'll be titled Sam Rush or something like that so if you're not happy with it or with me, don't open the thread. @reveldevil, sorry pal, you did try, I just didn't listen :-)

I don't mind if it gets no views, I'm not on here for a popularity contest. (even though I do love those little blue notifications!)

Clough  - win rate 33% year after year, simply not good enough . Dross football . Negative attitude in those first 9 games are what cost him ,since it showed things were never going to change with him . Then he proved these were his real qualities by repeating it all at Sheff Utd. In my 50 years plus watching Derby, N Clough was one of the worst managers and there has been some competition.

Clough  - win rate 33% year after year, simply not good enough . Dross football . Negative attitude in those first 9 games are what cost him ,since it showed things were never going to change with him . Then he proved these were his real qualities by repeating it all at Sheff Utd. In my 50 years plus watching Derby, N Clough was one of the worst managers and there has been some competition.

Strange that. In the 50 or more years I have been a Rams fan, i thought Clough Junior came out with great credit, did well in times of adversity and brought in many excellent players at a time when there was little money about.

Just goes to show how fans see things so differently no matter how long we've been around..

even as someone wanting Clough to go, he was nowhere near the worst in my lifetime (30 years watching). I'd put him above Todd, Gregory, Brown, Jewell and about par with McFarland.

The ones above, Cox, Smith, Burley, Davies and McClaren.

So he's smack back in the middle for me.

even as someone wanting Clough to go, he was nowhere near the worst in my lifetime (30 years watching). I'd put him above Todd, Gregory, Brown, Jewell and about par with McFarland.

The ones above, Cox, Smith, Burley, Davies and McClaren.

So he's smack back in the middle for me.

Your not old enough to remember Tim Ward then who signed Kevin Hector better know as Zac one of the greatest Rams strikers ever. 

Can't agree with that, at the very least he was better than Jewell and Gregory.  Did a good job halting the slide of a team that was heading into league one and improved the team season after season despite being asked to cut the wage bill at the same time. Jewell would have done worse than Clough in that situation.

If I was playing Football Manager and I lost two midfielders in my first game in the first half, and the same happened again in the second game.  I would probably swear switch it off and start again.  Unfortunately Clement cannot start again.  Lets give the man time to get this team winning and moving up the league.  With all the money spent it is obvious that the goal is promotion anything else will probably see him lose his job.

Mel Morris is basically saying "my way or high way". If the wins don't come with the money spend we will have a new manager before Chrisrmas.

Sacking Clement before Christmas (no matter where we are) would be a disaster. We all like decisive management but he needs a proper go at it. Full season, at least.

Archived