Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

How else should I compare it DrBee? If you let me know, I'm willing to give it a whirl.

Other than League Table and points on the board, I'm struggling to see what other options I've got to measure progress versus last year.

We are looking to progress right? That is why we made the changes and why we spent the money?

I've gone for the only two comparisons possible, like for like games (H) and (A) or like for like games first 5.

Why is it desperate stuff? What do you think I'm trying to do other than talk football with some lads on a forum.

Well I imagine the club will have had a target for the points after the first 5 games made on the basis of the opposition teams in the state they are right now Whatever way you do it its a disappointing start but I imagine a lot of the concern at the moment doesn't relate to points gained (or lack of) but what's been seen on the pitch in terms of lack of goal scoring ability shown up front   and endless changes in formation that seem to bring only a small change to how effective our play is.

Whichever of your 2 historical ways same teams last season / first 5 fixtures last season you choose you  ignore changes in circumstance- manager changes , injuries at the time the match was played last season etc. Like for like just gives a phoney significance to what you are saying especially given the SMALL number of matches involved.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not heard this before , a gem

Had you really not heard this before? I remember when it was on, it was incredible. I knew I was living history at the time, it was so astounding. Notice how he doesn't want to talk about losing 4-1 to Scunny? That game was the worst I've ever seen us play.

I thought at the time that was brilliant from Savage. I thought he was absolutely spot on. It took some massive balls and it was a brilliant thing for the captain to do at the time.

I don't think Gibson ever forgave the management for that.

I think Savage destroyed him on air and rightfully so. I don't mind Gibson now but at the time ti remember he drove and he caused a lot of negativity. 

What a massive surprise he doesn't seem to hear any negative rumours now he works so closely with the club.

I thought at the time that was brilliant from Savage. I thought he was absolutely spot on. It took some massive balls and it was a brilliant thing for the captain to do at the time.

I don't think Gibson ever forgave the management for that.

I think Savage destroyed him on air and rightfully so. I don't mind Gibson now but at the time ti remember he drove and he caused a lot of negativity. 

What a massive surprise he doesn't seem to hear any negative rumours now he works so closely with the club.

Both in the wrong though, Savage only used it as an excuse to deflect criticism from the poor performance at Ssausagehorpe. Even now, I don't think our local media really get behind the team the way they should, although I think Owen Bradley is always spot on with his questions to Clement, and previously to Mac, even if he is very probing and forward. Dawes and Ramage are a bunch of mardarses though, they take it too far.

You've got to ask the tricky questions with local radio. Gibbo is right to ask "What went wrong against Ssausagehorpe?" and continue to demand an explanation. The fans want an answer to that. But I agree with Sav about the "rumours" and "boos echo around Pride Park". No need.

we were a little slow to react to Leeds' tactics - didn't really need to wait until half time to tell Hendrick to push up or Martin to move across from Bamba. There were plenty of stoppages during the half to get those messages out there. 

very true

This is unrelated; But how do I create a topic? I am a complete noob here.

I think you need over 20+ posts then you can able to start the thread.

@ronnieronalde, it's time you let the Sam Rush hate go, Imo. 

You always make valid points, but by now you should realise the vast majority of posters on here don't share your views on the bald great one!

I feel your message gets lost sometimes because you bring most things back to Sam, even when it's little to do with him.

You may be right, I hope not but I don't discount the possibility he's an idiot, I just feel you'd get more out of your posts if you kept your powder dry, so to speak, and let your personal animosity towards him slide a bit.

If he's as poor as you make out, èveryone will soon enough be in agreement with you, if not you've not lost anything through sticking up for a friend.

As said previously, I think you make some very cute observations, it's a shame they're sometimes hidden under a layer of Sam Rush wrapping paper!

I can't disagree with any of that @reveldevil and thanks for posting it in a fair manner.

My outspoken nature sometimes causes me issues and not only in football circles.

What can I do, I had a really outspoken person as a role model, I'd probably get away with it as well if I only had his charisma!!

Where I think I'm different to most on here though, I've never hidden behind anonimity, I've never said anything on here that I wouldn't say to someone face and that includes Sam. 

I'm not sure that I'm saying he's poor or an idiot, the bloke has clearly got something about him, he's not stupid, he's been very successful in his life and so far in his profession. But I observe a lot, I watch the way he's done things and I listen to what he's said and pay attention as well to when he goes quiet.

I don't like the way he's done things here at all. I think he's been too self promoting and he's ridden along on the back of someone else's coattails and I really think I'm the only one who is daft enough or direct enough to point out how much he's spent and the bad decisions he's made as well as the commitments he made when making those decisions.

I'll stop if the manager he hires gets Derby up THIS SEASON or if he gets fired. I would have stopped if McClaren had got us up as well, I'd have no choice, it would have been proven his methods and his decisions were right. I'll say again, upto now, he's achieved nowt other than saddling the club with a massive squad at a huge cost on long contracts.

Everything we worked for four years to fix from the last mess.

I'll also calm down a lot once I get back into work,  right now I've got too much time on my hands and that makes me post prolifically at the moment. Some good some bad.

Arent you all posting on the dismal display on Saturday? Does it matter how many posts you have etc, yes moved off the initial topic, ho hum.

Did anyone hear Rosllers (if that's the correct spelling) interview before the game? He said Clemo didn't know himself his best 11 and formation and knew how we would set up and then change and he had the answers - didn't he just. When I was walking to my car after the match all I could hear was how Will Hughes would have made the difference, I don't think so, a talent that he is. Something seems a miss, we looked like 11 blokes that had never played together. Look I'm not calling for anyones head here but what the hell? has Mr Morris got too much input 4b he may have but too many cooks.

Was the talk about Kevin Nolan just talk, he would be the ideal fit, he may bring it together. We need experience, Celmo might benefit from a bloke like Nolan?

Arent you all posting on the dismal display on Saturday? Does it matter how many posts you have etc, yes moved off the initial topic, ho hum.

Did anyone hear Rosllers (if that's the correct spelling) interview before the game? He said Clemo didn't know himself his best 11 and formation and knew how we would set up and then change and he had the answers - didn't he just. When I was walking to my car after the match all I could hear was how Will Hughes would have made the difference, I don't think so, a talent that he is. Something seems a miss, we looked like 11 blokes that had never played together. Look I'm not calling for anyones head here but what the hell? has Mr Morris got too much input 4b he may have but too many cooks.

Was the talk about Kevin Nolan just talk, he would be the ideal fit, he may bring it together. We need experience, Celmo might benefit from a bloke like Nolan?

He wouldn't have sounded so clever if we'd taken our chances while we were battering them.

Mmmmm, but we didn't. Why didn't we come out and start like the 15mins at the start of the second half, Clemo said we would? and why did it stop so abruptly? I went with a mate of mine who is dirty Leeds and he said he thought once we scored we would batter them as they aren't that good but we couldn't kill it off and seemed to lose ideas and confiidence once we missed a couple of chances.

Mmmmm, but we didn't. Why didn't we come out and start like the 15mins at the start of the second half, Clemo said we would? and why did it stop so abruptly? I went with a mate of mine who is dirty Leeds and he said he thought once we scored we would batter them as they aren't that good but we couldn't kill it off and seemed to lose ideas and confiidence once we missed a couple of chances.

Or when Thorne went off or when we bizarrely went 442

Wood's miss from 6 yards out was worse than either the Hendrick or Weimann miss. Even with the touch from Shackell which might have put him off. What a ball in from Antenucci by the way, we seemed to struggle with far post crosses and need to cut that out.

So with the goal, and those two chances missed, I can't think of any real clear cut chances other than those 3 from us, Hendrick created one half chance himself with that cracking drive from 20 yards and maybe Bent could have done slightly better with a header. Were there many more than that?

So with their two goals and our goal and two clear cut chances, pretty even?

As much as we battered them for those 15 minutes, they were much better than us for the first 45 and started over running us with 10 to go. 

As the home team there's always going to be a spell where we've got to go for it hammer and tong. I thought Rosler got it spot on pretty much from start to finish.

The fact he's so confident in his game plan HAS to translate to his players as well. I don't think they ever expected to lose that game.

I think if you appoint someone who has not managed before you have to expect that there will be a learning curve and some errors, and these are likely to be at the start. the interesting thing will be whether the manager recognises errors and learns from them.

I would suggest that maybe the first error was getting rid of eric steele. A bit of continuity wouldn't have gone amiss and an experienced head might have helped. If not eric then some other old head could have been valuable. This is a point that charlie george made about colin murphy. He would have benefitted from an experienced no2 who would have the respect of the players instead of another two coaching assistants with little or no league experience.

the second error was perhsps appointing a captain who hasn't earned the respect of the players. If he'd picked george thorne or chris martin or a real superstar then ok.....but chris baird is a slightly strange and not immediately obvious choice.

Also confusion was created by trying to prove he's a master of all these different tactical systems. Constant tinkering and changing just creates confusion and delays achieving a settled side. We've had a diamond, 433, 442, 4231, etc etc. he's reacting to the criticism of schteve instead of committing to something he believes in.

The team selection has had unnecessary tinkering. Dropping forsyth after he played well v charlton . Similarly christie v brum. Russell in, then out, then in again. The avoidance of dawkins when we've lost so many midfielders. The preference to bring on shotton and shift baird into midfield is also questionable. 

Early days. a few errors. But plenty of time to learn from a few errors. 

Wood's miss from 6 yards out was worse than either the Hendrick or Weimann miss. Even with the touch from Shackell which might have put him off. What a ball in from Antenucci by the way, we seemed to struggle with far post crosses and need to cut that out.

I can't think of any real clear cut chances other that those 3 from us, Hendrick created one half chance himself with that cacking drive from 20 yards and maybe Bent could have done slightly better with a header. Were there many more than that?

So with their two goals and our goal and two clear cut chances, pretty even?

As much as we battered them for those 15 minutes, they were much better than us for the first 45 and started over running us with 10 to go. 

As the home team there's always going to be a spell where we've got to go for it hammer and tong. I thought Rosler got it spot on pretty much from start to finish.

The fact he's so confident in his game plan HAS to translate to his players as well. I don't think they ever expected to lose that game.

Have you ever played football?. At what point does some deflecting a ball 2 yards in front of you noy affect your ability to score with a header. 

Two great saves from Russell and Hendrick, Hendrick miss, Weimann miss, Russell shooting over, Martin header first half,

Bent being 20cm offside was unlucky, as was their first goal not being a corner

Two great saves from Russell and Hendrick, Hendrick miss, Weimann miss, Russell shooting over, Martin header first half,

Bent being 20cm offside was unlucky, as was their first goal not being a corner

whilst much of that is true, we are too tentative and negative.

leeds just about deserved it for that chris wood strike alone. Compare his bullet to two or three of our tame efforts.

Archived