Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

BTW if the Leeds game was one of the worst first half performances you've seen in years then I think you've been going to the wrong ground.

It wasn't even the worst first half of this season!! 

For a home side it certainly was and against a very average side which I think Leeds are.

Our best performance I think was the Brum game and I think to their credit they just didn't sit back - it let us come out and play.

We have struggled to break down teams that line up to defend in banks of 4,  eg Charlton and boro at home. But we should have expected this as there will be not be many teams coming here that will want to go for attacking football against us. At the moment we lack the know how on to break down teams which set up to just play for a draw, this is one of the things Clement should be sorting out, especially when we are playing at home.

The ability of the players is/was never an issue, as we have a fantastic squad full of quality - the coaching / formation/ tactics need addressing, that's a coaching issue.

The one thing which has been sorted out is our defence, we just need our attacking play via midfield and forwards, I cannot understand how a team that was scoring for fun last season and even in that poor run at the end of the season, we cannot find the net, the overall front play as been poor, obviously something wrong behind the scenes.

Injuries in midfield has been bantered around, well MM has now brought in £10 million worth or replacements, so no more excuses!

At Preston we need a performance that justifies spending millions of pounds works............

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't quite understand how the amount of shots off target can be blamed on PC. These are professional footballers end of the day.

lets see what happens with these new signings after all from last years stats we now have the most creative player from last season

55 shots in 3 games. Did you miss that out because it didn't suit your argument?

In two of those games included the most passes in the final 3rd of any team that weekend. 

We haven't had 6 dreadful games which is what you said. We've had 3 poor and 3 pretty good. 

You then say he needs more time. Why? You've clearly made up your mind after 6 matches. Why do you agree he needs more time? 

Have we improved over the games? We improved on the first 2. No performance has been as bad as the Bolton and Portsmouth ones. If you think Leeds was then I suggest you watch it again. Leeds was worse than the Charlton, Boro and Brum. 

There's no pattern to us. No there's not an improvement but neither are we getting worse. We are terribly inconsistent. 

We go from negative, slow passing where players take 3 or 4 touches when they need 1 to fast, on the floor direct football where we try to get our best footballers on the ball. We've missed a load of good chances. Bent ×2, Hendrick x3, Russell x4, Weimann X2, Martin x3... those are chances where I'd at least expect an excellent save and the shots have been very poor. 

No, there's not loads to be happy about but I'm not getting stressed yet. We lost our best player too. Hughes is the best midfielder in the league and you can't just dismiss his impact. We've gone and spent big to try and cover him. 

I think when you say things like "only a convincing win will do" you sum up the 'I want' nature of many Derby fans. 

We don't need a convincing win. We need to make sure we are the best team on the pitch. We create the most chances, give away the least, control tempo and make sure the opposition is concerned with us more than we are with them. If we do that and continue to do that then we'll be fine. Whether it's 1-0 or 5-0 doesnt matter. You get 3pts for both. Just be the best team on the pitch for as long as possible. 

It's infuriating watching players take too many touches and stroke the ball about when we have all seen in spells that we can be aggressive and direct in a controlled style 

More like the pre-season friendlies against Grimsby and Northampton.

• 2 months later...
On 29/08/2015, 16:38:22, Derbados said:

Nah, sorry, not buying any of this. Clement is the highest earning manager in the league. He has players of premier league quality at his disposal, it was always going to be a gamble appointing a manager who has never managed a game in his life. Unfortunately the gamble is backfiring, the signs aren't good and it's abubdantly clear the players don't buy in to his tactics. It will only get worse from here, hold me to it

just remember, highest earning manager in the league . . . Big gamble Derby, live and die by your decisions. . . 

Is it too early to hold you to it?

I tweeted before the season that I feel he won't trot out cliches and the usual clap trap like SM and I was right. 

He speaks in a way that makes me listen and think. He's a motivator and seems highly intelligent. I like him a lot and I'm glad he's our boss :) 

On 01/09/2015, 23:54:46, i-Ram said:

Just had an hour reading this thread. All very depressing really, but can't say I am surprised with a good number of comments. I have thought for the last 25 years that we have some of the most fickle fans in the Country. 

I did have a wry smile to myself when PC first arrived at the club and one of the reasons he gave coming to our great club was its great fan base. I hope despite everything else he is currently having to contend with he does find an hour to read this thread too. Should at least make him realise that a large number of "fans" think support is only to be offered when we are winning.

It was a big risk appointing PC but Mel the businessman made HIS decision, and Mel was always going to support HIS man. It is just as important for Mel, as it is for PC, that PC succeeds. Even before today there was no way PC was leaving in a few games time, irrespective of results; he would ALWAYS have been given plenty of time. The purchases today IMO reinforce that Mel stands four square behind his man.  Whilst he has made a few odd calls so far, PC seems to me to have stabilised our defensive frailties, such that we look much more secure and have only been beaten in one league game.  He has had chronic bad luck in midfield where he has been dependent on effectively an 80% fit George Thorne - losing Hughes and Bryson was a big big loss in the first 30 minutes of his first season.  Being a good coach PC will have also quickly identified that some of our established players aren't really that great - I am not being fickle here, just a realist. I support all our players in the flesh, but a good number are mid-table championship players (go figure). The new players brought in are yet to settle, but I think overall everyone "new" is a better player than the one directly replaced. Like PC they need a bit of time to settle - it takes much longer than 5 league games to get a team gelling together.  

On balance I expected us to be at about 7 points by now; we could easily of been, but the fact we aren't is really no reason for mass panic and hysteria.  The purchases today are very good - said a month ago that we were two GOOD midfielders short and now that has been addressed - it would be great if we can add a fit Bryson to the selection mix too. Now, if we can keep Martin on his feet and Weimann/Russell holding on to the ball a little better we and PC will be perfectly fine. Not expecting too much in terms of style from the next couple of games in truth, but a win will change the dynamic, and we will make steady progress up the league as we head towards Christmas that is for sure. Come December, if we are still under-achieving then Mel might have a lot more to think about, but personally I don't think he need worry too much.

From September 1st. What a bloody good post.

6 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I tweeted before the season that I feel he won't trot out cliches and the usual clap trap like SM and I was right. 

He speaks in a way that makes me listen and think. He's a motivator and seems highly intelligent. I like him a lot and I'm glad he's our boss :) 

I hate clichés. To me a cliché is like a red rag to a bull.

I liked him even in preseason - there was a certain way about his presence and how he held himself that made me think "we've got a winner here" and I'm glad that's being born out. Had a bit of a baptism of fire as well - your 2 fist choice canter mids injured in your first half of a competitive match, 2 more shortly after, deflected goals, no wins....but came through that and now it's clear that he's growing into the role and the team are becoming his team.

Signing Butters and Brad clearly helped and I imagine that every manager in the championship is muttering "if I had ten million quid my team would be up there" but it's never that simple. Football is littered with examples of the fallacy of "spend X and you'll to Y".

On 28 November 2015 09:10:06, BondJovi said:

Wish I hadn't just spent the last 15 mins reading some of this thread back. Some real tripe in here.

PC is brilliant.

I had to check I hadn't said anything daft... Unusually for me I hadnt. 

Archived