Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got one burning question.

Why have we made a guy who's never managed a first team game in his life, the highest paid manager in the division?

It's his first managerial job, what the heck had he done to be able to command that kind of salary?

We don't know that he is.

Thing is, it was always going to be a huge gamble appointing a manager who has never managed before. Most pay there dues and start at lower league etc, Clement got a job at a large, expectant club straight away off the back of another managers (Ancelottis) success, with some of the best players in the world I might add , he also happens to be good mates with Sam. 

He looked lost, confused and annoyed on Saturday, a man with a lot of expectation and weight on his shoulders. I bet he's having some sleepless nights at the minute. The players aren't buying in to his tactics, they don't seem to understand them either, our midfield seems non existent at the minute. 

I bet Sam is starting to sweat to, his big gamble, so far, isn't paying off 

Thing is, it was always going to be a huge gamble appointing a manager who has never managed before. Most pay there dues and start at lower league etc, Clement got a job at a large, expectant club straight away off the back of another managers (Ancelottis) success, with some of the best players in the world I might add , he also happens to be good mates with Sam. 

He looked lost, confused and annoyed on Saturday, a man with a lot of expectation and weight on his shoulders. I bet he's having some sleepless nights at the minute. The players aren't buying in to his tactics, they don't seem to understand them either, our midfield seems non existent at the minute. 

I bet Sam is starting to sweat to, his big gamble, so far, isn't paying off 

5 games my goodness 

Drew 4 and Leeds played well.

Two deflected goals against us.

Some people seem to derive pleasure from making nothing but negative posts - never happy unless there's something to whinge about. Wierdos!

Just dont understand some of the actual statements. 

Sure we've not played well so people will say "he's poor, that's was poor, awful finish/corner/cross" etc

And people are going to talk about the performances and where we need to improve

But sitting there and saying "Clement is rubbish" sort of whining...

What? You want him sacked after 5 matches yes? no? You think we should fire him and bring in..? 

It's just whinging. "Not good enough" and "am not happy" ... Yeah. The rest of us are over the moon. Shurrup whinging. 

Could post this on any thread really but may as well be here:

Most of the threads since the season started are understandably tainted with increasing frustration. We all want to get behind the team & management but its difficult when things are clearly not right with the team. We expected and needed to hit the ground running and impose ourselves on the division.

Personally I am concerned that the players don't look happy and haven't looked happy even in pre-season. Injuries to midfield have been appalling but I have a horrible feeling there is more to it.

The good ship DCFC isn't a happy ship imo. 

I wondered about this, but watching the reaction to Martins goal Saturday,  they all seemed to want to celebrate together as in previous seasons.

Some people seem to derive pleasure from making nothing but negative posts - never happy unless there's something to whinge about. Wierdos!

It's the same people every time too

Perhaps, something like this  -  tactically we got it wrong again, the system I set up was wrong, but this is a learning curve for us........

Sometimes it is best to hold your hands up and say we dropped a *******, it would also show that he knows what needs putting right for next time.

But to go into your only 6 games exactly the same way?

To say what he said showed him lacking, it was sort of, I don't know how to answer that question, to say 'we'll reflect on it'-

hello what have you been doing since the Bolton game !

How have tactically got it wrong again? When else have we got it wrong? You say we haven't competed against Bolton Leeds and Charlton, so you must be ecstatic to get 2 draws from them? Or do you mean we should have hammered those amd not let them compete with us? Have a look what compete means.

Have we? We have gone out all guns blazing against Boro and got hit by a sucker punch, so he has tried to keep hold of the ball, try and dictate the game, it hasn't clicked yet but for a few poor refereeing decisions, unlucky deflections in our box and the luck of the bounce in the other area not quite going for us, we would have had at least 2 wins and none of this would even be happening.

No matter how you compare it, either like for like, so the same  5 teams played home and away.

Bolton 0 - 0 Derby     v's      Bolton 0 - 2 Derby (minus 3 points, minus 2 goals)

Derby 1 - Charlton 1  v's     Derby 2 - Charlton 0 (minus 2 points, minus 2 goals)

Derby 1 - Boro 1        v's     Derby 0 - Boro 1 (plus 1 point, plus 1 goal)

Brum 1 - Derby 1       v's     Brum 0 - Derby 4 (minus 2 points, minus 4 goals)

Derby 1 - Leeds 2      v's     Derby 2 - Leeds 0 (minus 3 points, minus 3 goals)

So that's minus NINE POINTS and minus TEN GOALS over the same 5 home and away fixtures this season v's last

or just looking at the first 5 league fixtures of the season

Bolton 0-0 v's          Derby 1 - 0 Rotherham (minus 2 points, minus 1 goal)

Charl  1-1 v's          S.Wed 0 - Derby 0      (same points and goals)

Boro   1-1 v's          Charlton 3 - Derby 2   (plus 1 point, plus 1 goal)

Brum 1-1 v's           Derby 5 - 1 Fulham    (minus 2 points, minus 4 goals)

Leeds 1-2 v's          Derby 1 - Ipswich 1    (minus 1 point, minus 1 goal)

So over the first 5 fixtures that's minus 4 points and minus 5 goals.

Not taking into consideration the 2 league cup games won, versus going out this season to a league 2 side.

Remind me how much has been spent on players and coaches to improve the squad since then?

And yet there's a hell of a lot of moaning about moaning getting done. NO matter how you try to dress it up, the start has been disastrous and I personally think people should be allowed to raise and to keep raising concerns about that.

Not to worry though, we'll just chuck another 4million quid for another player on top of the 10m we spent in the summer on the Shackell, Weimann and Ince fees alone (not counting any of Bent, Carson, Pearce, Baird or the increase in wages).

THAT'S FOURTEEN MILLION ON FEES ALONE.  And no-one is allowed to put any pressure on anyone?

Progress eh? Forward thinking strategy, 21st century structure, CEO of the year, recruitment guru.

You've got to love it.

No matter how you compare it, either like for like, so the same  5 teams played home and away.

Bolton 0 - 0 Derby     v's      Bolton 0 - 2 Derby (minus 3 points, minus 2 goals)

Derby 1 - Charlton 1  v's     Derby 2 - Charlton 0 (minus 2 points, minus 2 goals)

Derby 1 - Leeds 2      v's     Derby 2 - Leeds 0 (minus 3 points, minus 3 goals)

So that's minus NINE POINTS and minus TEN GOALS over the same 5 home and away fixtures this season v's last

Not taking into consideration the 2 league cup games won, versus going out this season to a league 2 side.

Remind me how much has been spent on players and coaches to improve the squad since then?

And yet there's a hell of a lot of moaning about moaning getting done. NO matter how you try to dress it up, the start has been disastrous and I personally think people should be allowed to raise and to keep raising concerns about that.

Not to worry though, we'll just chuck another 4million quid for another player on top of the 10m we spent in the summer on the Shackell, Weimann and Ince fees alone (not counting any of Bent, Carson, Pearce, Baird or the increase in wages).

THAT'S FOURTEEN MILLION ON FEES ALONE.  And no-one is allowed to put any pressure on anyone?

Progress eh? Forward thinking strategy, 21st century structure, CEO of the year, recruitment guru.

You've got to love it.

Good manager that McClaren wasn't he? 

Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Good manager that McClaren wasn't he? 

Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Cracking attempt to "divert" the thread again. Well done.

Good coach, I'll give you that.

As for good manager? Don't make me laugh. The second he has to MANAGE anything other than how many sugars in his coffee he falls apart and crumbles under the pressure taking all those around him down with him.

Even then he still spent more than 6 million quid in 20 months.

We'll see how good he is now he's already been given 50 million to spend and he has to build his own squad.

A good manager would surely have them mid table, after all Pardew managed that season after season.

You've got to love it.

This 'like for like comparison' is desperate stuff from you - there are too many variables and you only use it cos it suits your argument. Whilst there are a few teams we always seem to lose or win against for a few seasons do we really expect the results to be the same from one season to the next?? 

Your use of the description 'disastrous' is over the top. What words would you use if we had lost 3 or 4 games?

That said I think Clement was a poor choice of manager , seemingly by directors who wanted somebody who didn't have their own views. To have a manager without experience as No1 and who never played professional football at a decent level  is a fatal mix. How could one ever measure his effect or value to the performances of Real Madrid? His performance as Steve Kean's assistant seems more relevant. However it is too soon to judge Clement's performance at Derby , give it 6 months and we will know unless 'our impatient for success' directors open the trapdoor before that.

This 'like for like comparison' is desperate stuff from you - there are too many variables and you only use it cos it suits your argument. Whilst there are a few teams we always seem to lose or win against for a few seasons do we really expect the results to be the same from one season to the next?? 

Your use of the description 'disastrous' is over the top. What words would you use if we had lost 3 or 4 games?

That said I think Clement was a poor choice of manager , seemingly by directors who wanted somebody who didn't have their own views. To have a manager without experience as No1 and who never played professional football at a decent level  is a fatal mix. How could one ever measure his effect or value to the performances of Real Madrid? His performance as Steve Kean's assistant seems more relevant. However it is too soon to judge Clement's performance at Derby , give it 6 months and we will know unless 'our impatient for success' directors open the trapdoor before that.

How else should I compare it DrBee? If you let me know, I'm willing to give it a whirl.

Other than League Table and points on the board, I'm struggling to see what other options I've got to measure progress versus last year.

We are looking to progress right? That is why we made the changes and why we spent the money?

I've gone for the only two comparisons possible, like for like games (H) and (A) or like for like games first 5.

Why is it desperate stuff? What do you think I'm trying to do other than talk football with some lads on a forum.

12 points from 15, looks good to me, thanks for reminding us.

My pleasure. Those were the days eh?

Shame he didn't play of those sides in the last 13 games of the season, he might have got the one extra win needed to scrape into the play offs.

You do know he's gone now though don't you? I'll throw out that cheap line you used to give me.

If you love him so much why don't you p off to Newcastle to watch him, he's not the manager of Derby County anymore.

Archived