Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

Out of interest, to bring some of the topic back to Clement, for those not backing him 100% at the moment, if you personally were to start a new job in a new company how long would you ask for to be judged on whether you survive or get fired? I would want six months minimum, and certainly more than five weeks. (5 league games).

i don't think many on here though are saying he should go, more the fact many are disagreeing with some of his decisions.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, if I was putting north of 70 million quid into a club, I'd make sure the head coach was up to it!

Seeing as Mr Morris is an extremely adept businessman, as well as a lifelong Ram and very knowledgeable about the game, I think I'll go with his judgement when it comes to Clement!

there's a lot of people talking sense today on the forum like Del and Inverurie and also tombo,positive fans like myself , or  are they fans who can see where we are going to be in the next couple of years,yes that's right back in the premiership.

You almost had me convinced with the "talking sense" bit, what with DEL, Inverurie and your good self Derby Blood, but come on it is a bit of a stretch for all us readers bringing Tombo into that quality mix.

Sounds like you are preparing yourself to have a good moan. 

Well a win won't do at Preston. It will have to be a "convincing win" after our "dreadful 6 games" 

So all we have to do is play better than we did v Charlton, Boro and Birmingham (which include over 50 shots and 60%+ of the ball) and win and there's a chance he might be satisfied. 

Easily pleased some people

Paul Clements must be up to the job and should be given time to create a quality squad with the players brought in by the club,If we look at the set up,Sam Rush-Chris evans-Mel morris Their time in professional football has been in administration,Chris Evans playing career and manager experience was  such he took up scouting players. 

Mel Morris the clubs owner is happy with this set up,and has put is faith in Clements to make the squad assembled

bring success to Derby County, 

And as fans i feel the commitment shown by Mel Morris deserves our patience,and  enjoy the ride.

Good luck Mel if this fails ,we move 

Same old story in here. Either blind faith or already decided he can't do the job.

I'm sat with healthy scepticism. Thus far, it hasn't been good, but granted we have had injuries. Yet, we've seen literally no changes from last season, other than line-up/formation bingo and a captain who must play despite poor performance.

Does this mean he's useless? No, it doesn't. It's still only a few games, and within those few games despite all of the above, we have had decent spells and on another day could have scored and won games - think Birmingham, Charlton and Leeds. That certainly would have changed perception and probably improved confidence and subsequent performances.

It's simply too early, but I'd describe the start as "unconvincing".

Blind faith is definitely the right phrase. A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that we deserve success or that it's written in the stars.

I too am sceptical but I'm also feeling very positive after our two signings. I feel we've been losing/drawing games through not having a properly functioning midfield. Butterfield is the first attacking midfielder with vision we've signed in some time (Hughes will always be better further back in my opinion), and Johnson is a monster. I can't wait for the season to get going again. Incidentally I want international breaks to die in a fire.

Well a win won't do at Preston. It will have to be a "convincing win" after our "dreadful 6 games" 

So all we have to do is play better than we did v Charlton, Boro and Birmingham (which include over 50 shots and 60%+ of the ball) and win and there's a chance he might be satisfied. 

Easily pleased some people

I love it when you bring out those stats!

Tippy tappy passing of the ball between our defenders does of course create lots of possession stats.........

The stats that only count are games played 5 games won 0,  and 4 pts from15!

Lets not forget we were beaten also by league 2 side that fielded most of their b team!

Some have said he needs more time, I agree in principal in this, but I have asked have we or are we improving?

Don't forget he is not rebuilding a squad, the squad he has to work with is possibly the best in the championship.We should be showing signs of improvement after 6 games, performances should be improving ? 

As a coach he is judged by the results......

I have seen nothing in his team selections, swapping/changes, I have seen nothing in our performances , I seen nothing in his interviews that says he knows what he is doing- he does remind me of the David Moyle's fiasco at Utd, and that's the worrying thing!

I love it when you bring out those stats!

Tippy tappy passing of the ball between our defenders does of course create lots of possession stats.........

55 shots in 3 games. Did you miss that out because it didn't suit your argument?

In two of those games included the most passes in the final 3rd of any team that weekend. 

We haven't had 6 dreadful games which is what you said. We've had 3 poor and 3 pretty good. 

You then say he needs more time. Why? You've clearly made up your mind after 6 matches. Why do you agree he needs more time? 

Have we improved over the games? We improved on the first 2. No performance has been as bad as the Bolton and Portsmouth ones. If you think Leeds was then I suggest you watch it again. Leeds was worse than the Charlton, Boro and Brum. 

There's no pattern to us. No there's not an improvement but neither are we getting worse. We are terribly inconsistent. 

We go from negative, slow passing where players take 3 or 4 touches when they need 1 to fast, on the floor direct football where we try to get our best footballers on the ball. We've missed a load of good chances. Bent ×2, Hendrick x3, Russell x4, Weimann X2, Martin x3... those are chances where I'd at least expect an excellent save and the shots have been very poor. 

No, there's not loads to be happy about but I'm not getting stressed yet. We lost our best player too. Hughes is the best midfielder in the league and you can't just dismiss his impact. We've gone and spent big to try and cover him. 

I think when you say things like "only a convincing win will do" you sum up the 'I want' nature of many Derby fans. 

We don't need a convincing win. We need to make sure we are the best team on the pitch. We create the most chances, give away the least, control tempo and make sure the opposition is concerned with us more than we are with them. If we do that and continue to do that then we'll be fine. Whether it's 1-0 or 5-0 doesnt matter. You get 3pts for both. Just be the best team on the pitch for as long as possible. 

It's infuriating watching players take too many touches and stroke the ball about when we have all seen in spells that we can be aggressive and direct in a controlled style 

.55 shots in 3 games. Did you miss that out because it didn't suit your argument?

In two of those games included the most passes in the final 3rd of any team that weekend. 

We haven't had 6 dreadful games which is what you said. We've had 3 poor and 3 pretty good. 

You then say he needs more time. Why? You've clearly made up your mind after 6 matches. Why do you agree he needs more time? 

Have we improved over the games? We improved on the first 2. No performance has been as bad as the Bolton and Portsmouth ones. If you think Leeds was then I suggest you watch it again. Leeds was worse than the Charlton, Boro and Brum. 

There's no pattern to us. No there's not an improvement but neither are we getting worse. We are terribly inconsistent. 

We go from negative, slow passing where players take 3 or 4 touches when they need 1 to fast, on the floor direct football where we try to get our best footballers on the ball. We've missed a load of good chances. Bent ×2, Hendrick x3, Russell x4, Weimann X2, Martin x3... those are chances where I'd at least expect an excellent save and the shots have been very poor. 

No, there's not loads to be happy about but I'm not getting stressed yet. We lost our best player too. Hughes is the best midfielder in the league and you can't just dismiss his impact. We've gone and spent big to try and cover him. 

I think when you say things like "only a convincing win will do" you sum up the 'I want' nature of many Derby fans. 

We don't need a convincing win. We need to make sure we are the best team on the pitch. We create the most chances, give away the least, control tempo and make sure the opposition is concerned with us more than we are with them. If we do that and continue to do that then we'll be fine. Whether it's 1-0 or 5-0 doesnt matter. You get 3pts for both. Just be the best team on the pitch for as long as possible. 

It's infuriating watching players take too many touches and stroke the ball about when we have all seen in spells that we can be aggressive and direct in a controlled style 

Those 3 games you are talking of where we had 55 shots, you failed to mentioned we had only 14 shots on target!

So to put your stats into perspective, we had an average of less than 4.6 shots on target per games.

Not really as good as you think, this is way stats are used so misleadingly.

Yes a win is for 3 pts, but you said not does not matter if its 1-0 or 5-0.

Yes it does, as our performances over 90 mins have been poor. A 5-0 win you used I would argue says more about your performance than a 1-0 win!

As for the Leeds game , that was possibly one of the worst first half performances I have seen for years, yes we came out after HT and played attacking footie for 15 mins, the question is why we did not do that at the start of the game? And when we didn't do that , why didn't he change it before HT?

With the new additions this week our squad is certainly one of the best in the division, if not the best, Clement needs to show he knows what he is doing, at the moment the jury is out.

Why Does he need more time? To prove he can coach, MM,s spending this week adding more quality players in is taking away the excuses of we have injuries, that's why we could n,t win a game......that is why we need a convincing win at Preston. 

Those 3 games you are talking of where we had 55 shots, you failed to mentioned we had only 14 shots on target!

So to put your stats into perspective, we had an average of less than 4.6 shots on target per games.

Not really as good as you think, this is way stats are used so misleadingly.

Yes a win is for 3 pts, but you said not does not matter if its 1-0 or 5-0.

Yes it does, as our performances over 90 mins have been poor. A 5-0 win you used I would argue says more about your performance than a 1-0 win!

As for the Leeds game , that was possibly one of the worst first half performances I have seen for years, yes we came out after HT and played attacking footie for 15 mins, the question is why we did not do that at the start of the game? And when we didn't do that , why didn't he change it before HT?

With the new additions this week our squad is certainly one of the best in the division, if not the best, Clement needs to show he knows what he is doing, at the moment the jury is out.

Why Does he need more time? To prove he can coach, MM,s spending this week adding more quality players in is taking away the excuses of we have injuries, that's why we could n,t win a game......that is why we need a convincing win at Preston. 

Do you have a ST?

Is Clement up to the job...............only time will tell, but I know what I want to see.

I want to see a high tempo, high pressing mentality, I want to see us dominate matches for more than ten minutes, I want to see midfield players bursting past Martin into the oppositions penalty area, I want to see wide players supported by bombing on full backs, I want to see possession lead to chances, I want to see players given an opportunity to show a bit of individual flair, I want to see the latest investment transferred into improved performances, I want  to see our manager have a smile on his face at a post match press conference, I want to see us rise up this table, I want to see a little bit of luck going our way and most of all, I want to see if I can get a pair of them rose tinted glasses!

Blo*dy he'll think you will need to support another team lol.even Chelsea don't get half of that other than the luck

shots on target.... I could have a shot from 40 yards and it could trickle all the way to Carson. 

Jeff Hendrick's chance v Leeds or Bent's close range chance in the first half at Brum... Both off target. 

Where the shot ends up is no indication on the quality of the chance. 

Archived