Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you hit the nail on the head - 10 minutes of a game! - That is 10 mins from 6 games!

I will ask again, are we progressing as a team under Clement are we continually getting better?

So we didn't;

The start of every match so far has been the same negative approach at kick off 

Have a look at my reply above to @ronnieronalde to see how I feel season has begun. 

We've played some terrible football... and we've played some sensational football... there have been some woeful decisions made... and some I'd agree with... Plus injuries to 4 players in the same position within 4 games... AND the loss of our best player...

I was FURIOUS after the Leeds game as I felt poor management (for the first half display) and poor decisions (why change the formation which was working so well when Thorne needed to go off? Then going 4-4-2 in the last 10 mins when the direct running of Russell was killing them)

HOWEVER they're the kind of things you expect from a first-time manager and as long as he learns from his mistakes I'm happy... 

The second half performance against Leeds (after half time but before 4-4-2) showed he knew how to motivate the players and hopefully he'll be able to do that from the start now... I also think (as I've been BEGGING for all season) he told Hendrick to play further forward as he supported Martin well after the break...PLUS the number of chances we created against Charlton, Birmingham and Leeds we should have seen all of them off...

If we're still doddering about like this in 2 months time then I'll be concerned... for now it's just waiting for it all to gel...

Playing devil's advocate, if it's too early to say he's NOT up to the job, then it's also too early to say he is up to the job.

It's not about saying for definite whether he is up to it, it's about backing the manager. It's very clear that a number of people on here have no interest in backing the manager, for whatever reason. 

Have most bought into the hype that came with Clement?

He's been here, he's been there, he's worked with so and so........

He has not had a proper No1 position till now, I to was hoping that we would come good straight away, but unfortunately the alarm bells were there in pre season, against Grimsby Northampton ETC.

Sometimes when a new coach comes into a club there is a sudden impact [think Mac Ipswich game] and the players turn a corner straight away, sometimes its gradual process, but you can normally see the positive changes taking place, team performances slowly improving, results get better etc -

But I don't see that with Clement, unfortuately  I see Moyles at Man Utd, I see another Brian Kidd...

I hope Clement can do come good for all our sakes.......

It's not about saying for definite whether he is up to it, it's about backing the manager. It's very clear that a number of people on here have no interest in backing the manager, for whatever reason. 

Because they were very attached to BCO (Boo Clough Out) a coupla years ago... Were very disappointed when we had a manager who this acronym didn't work for... and were therefore delighted when we appointed Clement...

It's not hatred from our Paul... It's just love for a good solid acronym...

no, that's your agenda. This debate is about what people think, not about how you think fans should believe. I don't think it appropriate too, which makes me a hypocrite, that you should tell people how they should think. It's not North Korea.

Don't get me wrong, even if the fans don't believe, yes, they should still get behind the team, and I for one, have nothing but contempt for a lot of Derby fans and their over-inflated sense of entitlement.

Backing the manager and not thinking he's going to succeed can still be combined.

Thanks for your answers @Mostyn6 @Alpha and @rynny  that's proper chat, not one cheap dig in there, exaclty the way it should be!!

It's gone right off on a tangent and now i'm turning it into a proper Nigel thread. It wasn't meant to be that way, but i always answer points raised.

For those saying Sam gave him,  longer than 9 games, fair enough, he got two transfer windows.

Sam was appointed on September the 12th 2012 after the summer window had closed.

Nige had the January window, I'm not sure how much he spent during that 2012 summer but it wan't a lot. He signed Jacobs. Coutts, Keogh, Freeman and Sammon but paid for them by selling Steve Davies, Chris Maguire and Jason Shackell. he finished that season 10th - progress, whether it was by a point or by a goal, progress.

He then had the following summer window, which was arguably the first time he had any kind of cash, he signed Grant, Forsyth, Martin and Russell but again he recouped some, if not all of that by selling Brayford and AT THAT POINT he told us all, including Sam Rush that it was the first time he had a top 6 squad. We never got the chance to find out.

When the fixture list came out I wrote a piece on here saying I hope the board don't lose their bottle after the first block of 10 games and got slaughtered for it. They didn't, they lost their bottle after 9.

He got 9 games with that squad. Fair enough it took a long time to shape it but he shaped it constantly cutting money off the wage bill and every season spending a quarter of what they gave Steve in one summer

That's what bugs me by the way...he never had a bean, he had to beg for the cash to sign Tom Naylor, his remit was cut, cut ,cut oh and by the way improve. Alpha said Derby was a bang average club throughout his reign, I'll tell you where we weren't bang average, we weren't bang average on the wage bill, we were bottom 6.

Now we're shpunting cash left right and centre through a manager who'd never managed a game, never picked a side.

Sod it, later on I'm posting my  Why I don't like Sam Rush post, it'll be titled Sam Rush or something like that so if you're not happy with it or with me, don't open the thread. @reveldevil, sorry pal, you did try, I just didn't listen :-)

I don't mind if it gets no views, I'm not on here for a popularity contest. (even though I do love those little blue notifications!)

No, that's your agenda. This debate is about what people think, not about how you think fans should believe. I don't think it appropriate too, which makes me a hypocrite, that you should tell people how they should think. It's not North Korea.

Don't get me wrong, even if the fans don't believe, yes, they should still get behind the team, and I for one, have nothing but contempt for a lot of Derby fans and their over-inflated sense of entitlement.

Backing the manager and not thinking he's going to succeed can still be combined.

It's about what people's default position is. Clearly some don't want him to succeed, rather than just thinking he won't. In the case of our esteemed friend super rams, I suspect that's because he's not a Derby fan.

While slightly different to what you wrote, I don't think backing the manager and openly doubting him can be combined. 

I think he has a very good opportunity here and can make it work. My only concern is some of the subs he makes are strange ( to me anyway). Why bring off Hanson and Thorne and not replace them with a player that can make a pass and unlock a defence aka Dawkins. Instead moving the RB again to CM. just seems a bit negative to me. If simmo was here a don't think we'd have seen that, he'd have gone for it. Maybe it's not just clement but the staff under him, maybe the blend isn't quite right? Just a thought 

We could put Ronald McDonald in charge of first team affairs and I'd still give him 6 months MINIMUM. Just the way you have to do it. Patience.

He's managing Blackpool.

Archived