Steven Gerrard

Alph

​I'm genuinely confused. If Chelsea made an offer, and Liverpool accepted, then is he being disloyal or lacking commitment by openly considering it?

Similarly, why shouldn't he chase the wages? When teams like West Ham were paying Kieron Dyer and co £95k a week, and Gerrard at the time was on less...

​You need to follow the conversation. My post was a reply to someone praising his loyalty. Please don't pretend to not understand.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never seen Liverpool without Stevie G, always idolised him but I struggle to put him up there with Ryan Giggs or Totti.

I know hes been there for 17 years but why move now??? stupid descision IMO, why not retire now as a one club man than a good player who was Liverpool through and through but when it got tough went to the MLS when interest in him was at its lowest. Lost a bit of respect for him.

See this a lot with footballers! love loyalty but when you look at Nasri or Fabregas (sorry Arsenal fans) they were loved at Arsenal but they left and got Premier League medals and more money. Why not leave and earn something. Liverpool could have done something years ago but the past 5 years it has been embarrassing, he could've swallowed his pride and gone abroad to a side that was challenging. Imagine him playing for Real Madrid to replace Alonso or something! He could've done much more but I believe its all gone down the pan of the MLS

​You need to follow the conversation. My post was a reply to someone praising his loyalty. Please don't pretend to not understand.

​I disagree. He could've got his agent to engineer a move at any time during his Liverpool years, and to be fair, he's waited for them to ditch him before he leaves. I think he is loyal and I think he does deserve some praise for this. Even though his head was turned briefly.

Gerrard is propably one of those players who is either over- or underrated. Can someone help... has any of these "one club men" become great manager?

I wouldn't mind seeing Hughes playing most of of his career with us, then go to MLS for a couple of years to have a new challenge.

Made me laugh this morning on Talksh**e, the presenter was a scouser and was calling Gerrard the best midfielder in Premier League history, better than Scholes. . . . 

The funniest thing from all of it was he slated Lampard for "not being a one club man" unlike dear Stevie, uuurrrmmm pretty sure he's off to the MLS!! that doesnt make him a once club man does it??!! blinkers on! 

Made me laugh this morning on Talksh**e, the presenter was a scouser and was calling Gerrard the best midfielder in Premier League history, better than Scholes. . . . 

The funniest thing from all of it was he slated Lampard for "not being a one club man" unlike dear Stevie, uuurrrmmm pretty sure he's off to the MLS!! that doesnt make him a once club man does it??!! blinkers on! 

Exactly...all the loyalty talk is hilarious....he is going to LA to make an oodle of money, no other reason at all, I'm not saying it's wrong, who wouldn't swap Liverpool for LA..! But he isn't this one club legend everyone talks about, if he was he would stay....

what a circus it all is too 

Can't argue he's a Liverpool legend.

Just don't know why everyone else is up his bum. 

Because he's loyal? Not like he played for someone hopeless is it. He sums Liverpool up. A nearly club and a nearly player. He's played with better players that have gone on to better things. He played in a supposed golden generation of England players and there were good players with him Scholes, Beckham, Owen, Lampard, Neville, Cole.... 

It's rare he's been the best player in his teams never mind the league. If another club truly wanted him then he would have gone I reckon. People tend not to say no to Real or Barca. 

Treating him like he was something special. Because it's Liverpool.  Chelsea fans clapping him was daft. What has he done for them? For football? 

What's he's done has been for himself, for Liverpool and for money.

Exactly...all the loyalty talk is hilarious....he is going to LA to make an oodle of money, no other reason at all, I'm not saying it's wrong, who wouldn't swap Liverpool for LA..! But he isn't this one club legend everyone talks about, if he was he would stay....

what a circus it all is too 

​He did want to stay, they didn't offer him a new deal.

Or play a 3 man midfield, with Scholes as the DM. 4-4-2 held England back, in hindsight.

Gerrard, Cole, Scholes, Lampard, Barry, Carrick... we had such a lovely blend there... but we stuck with Gerrard and Lampard... unbelievable when you look back on it. It probably doesn't help how under-appreciated Barry and Carrick were.

Gerrard, Cole, Scholes, Lampard, Barry, Carrick... we had such a lovely blend there... but we stuck with Gerrard and Lampard... unbelievable when you look back on it. It probably doesn't help how under-appreciated Barry and Carrick were.

Personally think Scott Parker was the one that should've got an extra 50 caps 

Can't help thinking Sky have gone well OTT with their coverage of his last game at Anfield.

Actually, thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me if they had an ulterior motive, ie a Beckham type of ambassadorial role or trying to sweeten him up for some kind of punditary role when his time's up in America. 

Bit too much bottom kissing going on for my liking.

Cheer up you miserable sods, not like it actually affects you in any way. If watching this stuff on Sky pisses you off that much, turn the TV off and play Monopoly or summat.

I did do. Put the Simpsons on. 

Archived