Steven Gerrard

Alph

When did he die?

Keep seeing it all over the news and all the tributes pouring in. 

How come Chelsea fans were clapping him off? Did he used to play for them?

Anyway. Fair play to him for keeping the same highly paid job for so many years. 

Is it true that the guy selling black arm bands outside Anfield owns Man City?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think it's admirable that Gerrard opted to stay loyal to his beloved Liverpool throughout his career.

For that reason, he deserves the accolades he's receiving. 

He could have moved on numerous occasions to bigger clubs and received a bigger pay packet. 

Maybe he will regret his loyalty in years to come. He's even said that he regrets not having won the title. 

A rare English world-class midfielder. We've only produced maybe half a dozen in my lifetime. 

Yep got to admire is loyalty.....especially when he threatend to go to Chelsea unless the victims paid him more.....

the gerrard roadshow that is following him around is cringeworthy and so embarrassing. 

Decent midfielder, but that was over 10 years ago. 

and rather than the FA Cup final being his last game, he now has Palace at home and Stoke away...! Ha ha. 

"But you slipped cause your **** Steven Gerard..."

Not buying into the 'Stevie G is god' bullshit. He was a good player, one of the best for England of his generation, but like so many before him and since around the 'golden generation', an under-achiever. His reputation really borrowed a lot from one utterly incredible 45 minute performance by not just him but those around him.

and he wasn't even close to being the best in the "golden generation" team but I didn't see this amount of fuss when Paul Scholes retired, came back, won another title and then retired again....or when Neville retired, or giggs....all better, more succesful players than Gerard ever was. 

and he wasn't even close to being the best in the "golden generation" team but I didn't see this amount of fuss when Paul Scholes retired, came back, won another title and then retired again....or when Neville retired, or giggs....all better, more succesful players than Gerard ever was. 

​that's because of Scouser delusions!

Is Gerrard the best midfielder in his era? No

Is Gerrard the best midfielder England have had? No

Was Scholes better than Gerrard? Yes

If Gerrard wasn't a scouser and played for any other club other than Liverpool would people applaud his career more? Yes

So what he flirted with a move to Chelsea, so what he whacked a DJ, as a footballer he's been a fantastic player and servant to Liverpool hence the media coverage.

I don't like to see any footballer leave to join the MLS for that final golden pay check, Gerrard and Lampard could both still do a job for a club in the Premier League, to see them join the Mickey Mouse league is sad as a football fan but hey ho money talks. 

If I was in the same position as them would I do the same? Probably.

I do think it's admirable that Gerrard opted to stay loyal to his beloved Liverpool throughout his career.

For that reason, he deserves the accolades he's receiving. 

He could have moved on numerous occasions to bigger clubs and received a bigger pay packet. 

Maybe he will regret his loyalty in years to come. He's even said that he regrets not having won the title. 

A rare English world-class midfielder. We've only produced maybe half a dozen in my lifetime. 

​Except he angled for a move to Chelsea a while ago in order to engineer a better deal with his beloved Liverpool (or get a move to Chelsea). His 'loyalty' was bought with a hefty sum.

​Except he angled for a move to Chelsea a while ago in order to engineer a better deal with his beloved Liverpool (or get a move to Chelsea). His 'loyalty' was bought with a hefty sum.

​did he angle for it? Or did he just consider it? Big difference IMO

Is Gerrard the best midfielder in his era? No

Is Gerrard the best midfielder England have had? No

Was Scholes better than Gerrard? Yes

If Gerrard wasn't a scouser and played for any other club other than Liverpool would people applaud his career more? Yes

So what he flirted with a move to Chelsea, so what he whacked a DJ, as a footballer he's been a fantastic player and servant to Liverpool hence the media coverage.

I don't like to see any footballer leave to join the MLS for that final golden pay check, Gerrard and Lampard could both still do a job for a club in the Premier League, to see them join the Mickey Mouse league is sad as a football fan but hey ho money talks. 

If I was in the same position as them would I do the same? Probably.

Is kris commons better than Gerard..? 

​Ok, let's move on. I'm not going to go into the merits and pitfalls of openly discussing working for another employer.

​I'm genuinely confused. If Chelsea made an offer, and Liverpool accepted, then is he being disloyal or lacking commitment by openly considering it?

Similarly, why shouldn't he chase the wages? When teams like West Ham were paying Kieron Dyer and co £95k a week, and Gerrard at the time was on less...

​Scholes committed the unforgiveable of call time on his England career early when he was shunted out to the left wing to make way for Stevie G and Fwank in the midfield under Sven.

To be fair to Steven G, he too has been shunted around positionally in his time with England but didn't throw it all in. Whether that on its own justifies such eulogies is highly debateable of course.

And of course Giggs isn't English so doesn't count in the Press!

​As an English central midfielder I would put him firmly in second place behind Paul Scholes in his era (post-Gazza). I can't really compare him to full-backs or wingers, goalkeepers or the one true great (Sir Jake) for that matter.

Archived