Derby search for McClaren replacement..

This super software wouldn't allow me to type anymore to the above post......

i wanted to add that Rome wasn't built in a day. Schteve has only had 18 months. Judge him in another 18 months.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Newcastle to look elsewhere as I like McClaren .

The significant thing in this bad run of results is that McClaren has never once criticized his players who are the ones who have let him down. 

McClaren is loyal to his players and why on earth would they or us fans want him gone. 

I maintain he's doing a good job and this is a blip. 

I can't believe people are begrudging Mac.

Sure - the lack of a firm "no, I'm not going to Newcastle, behave." might not be the best way to endear yourself to the fans, but I can't blame him for not doing so. If it transpires he does go, it would be worse him going after putting his foot down and saying no.

He's given us the most excitement since, in my opinion, the Premier League days of Eranio, Baiano, Stimac and TBE. Probably some of the best football too. Other than perhaps George Burley's team.

I for one am not complaining at that, irrespective of whether we are promoted this season or not. 

Mac, Simmo and Steele came in with a 3yr plan. We were so close in year 1, and we could yet do it in year 2. 

Sure - the lack of a firm "no, I'm not going to Newcastle, behave." might not be the best way to endear yourself to the fans, but I can't blame him for not doing so. If it transpires he does go, it would be worse him going after putting his foot down and saying no.

He's given us the most excitement since, in my opinion, the Premier League days of Eranio, Baiano, Stimac and TBE. Probably some of the best football too. Other than perhaps George Burley's team.

I for one am not complaining at that, irrespective of whether we are promoted this season or not. 

Mac, Simmo and Steele came in with a 3yr plan. We were so close in year 1, and we could yet do it in year 2. 

I wouldn't mind if he left to go to a bigger club and really improve himself but Newcastle, while they are a big club, there is no real chance of progress, Ashley is happy them ticking along and if any player does well he will be sold on for profit. The fans expect more than they will ever achieve and unless your from Newcastle they turn on the manager after a couple of losses.

​Mac was **** all before he got the job at us. His reputation in tatters and was coaching at QPR because he couldn't get a job anywhere.

Now his reputation has now been restored and he's going to **** off at the earliest opportunity when a bigger club comes sniffing? I'd hate the bloke.

I think a bit of persoective is due.

whilst Nigel had left a decent side, the squad was very thin.

Not only was it short on numbers, players like freeman, o'connor, hoganson, naylor, gjokai, legzdins, davies, ball, sammon, were probably never going to take us forward. Even some of those that we thought might be decent have since faded into obscurity - jacobs, bailey, coutts, obrien. The squad is stronger now but still suffers from having a lot of gaps to fill. We've made good signings this year.  Even though they might get criticised and torn to shreds, Christie, Shotton, Albentosa, Warnock etc are improvements to the squad. But we are still short of a few attacking midfielders, and we have no proper cover for Martin.

injuries have affected us - buxton, Eustace, thorne, martin, ward - and so we've been reliant on loans. A combination of factors has meant that we have lost our way a bit.

last season raised hopes and we have blown a great position at the top of the league, but any expectation of a god given right to a place in the automatics is ridiculous. Mistakes have been made, but mainly by the players. Schteve can hardly be accountable for grant palming two goals into his net, or for the individul errors in the back four especially. 

I thought Pardew was interesting on the topic of English managers recently - he, Allardyce, Pulis and Co never get a sniff at any of the so called 'big' club jobs - they scour the world rather than just the UK and believe that foreign managers are always better, with the current exception of Rogers.

On that basis Steve has a problem as to where he goes next.  If City, Man U, Liverpool etc won't appoint him then where else does he go apart from somewhere like Newcastle, other than stay with us of course?

I wouldn't mind if he left to go to a bigger club and really improve himself but Newcastle, while they are a big club, there is no real chance of progress, Ashley is happy them ticking along and if any player does well he will be sold on for profit. The fans expect more than they will ever achieve and unless your from Newcastle they turn on the manager after a couple of losses.

Lazy journalism, picked two managers out of thin air. Doubt we'd get Dyche even if Burnley get relegated.

Brentford have done well this year, but more likely down to the statistical player finder 3000 and the fact that they're a surprise package more than Warburton being a great manager. He's not done enough yet to convince me that he's capable of handling the pressure of being Derby manager, a much bigger club with higher expectations. I can't see too many Brentford fans whinging that they're 6th.

I liked Adkins when he was at Saints, Reading was a bit of a disaster though, although he was forced to play a lot of youth players.

If we go up (still a possibility people seem to be forgetting!) I don't see how he could leave! If we don't I don't really see Newcastle wanting him. I can't see this ridiculous speculation as being terribly helpful to to be honest. And just boring after after a while!

I don't think Mac will have left us in the same position. If anything at least he showed the Clough lovers what a decent coach can do with the same tools. Hopefully that will prevent the fans accepting dross in the future. Hopefully. 

Archived