Derby search for McClaren replacement..

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County want Burnley manager Sean Dyche to replace Steve McClaren this summer, regardless of which division they are in.

Play-off chasing Derby are planning for life without former England boss McClaren, who has been linked to jobs with Newcastle and Sunderland, and will make a concerted effort to get Dyche, who has impressed in the Premier League this season.

Burnley host Tottenham on Sunday still fighting for top-flight survival, despite being written off as relegation certainties before the season began.

Dyche, 43, has won admirers for his plain speaking and organising a competitive team on a restricted budget.

Derby, however, believe he will be tempted by a move to a bigger club — their average home gate of 29,000 is 10,000 more than Burnley get at Turf Moor.

Derby occupy the final play-off place in the Championship, although Friday’s 2-2 draw against Watford was their seventh game in a row without a win.

It is almost certain, however, that McClaren and the club will part ways at the end of the season, whether they win promotion or not.

McClaren was heavily backed to replace Alan Pardew at Newcastle earlier this season and insiders at Derby were unhappy at the way the story was highlighted in the public domain

Since then, Derby’s form has gone off the boil and McClaren admitted after their last game that they could no longer go up automatically.

The club were beaten 1-0 by QPR in last season’s Championship play-off final at Wembley.

Why is everyone up Dyche's bum? 

What about an Owen Coyle and Aidy Bothroyd dream team. Is that enough poor ickle Burnley and Watford success?

What about Holloway? He got Blackpool up?

Is that what you do in football now. You just grab the nearest bloke who's done well last season and then use them? Forget looking at the style and personnel we have from first team to the kids. Forget that. Let's get the Burnley manager who plays entirely different football because well, he did it with Burnley and nobody has ever been promoted with an unfashionable team before. 

Malky Mackay? 

Why not just stick with McClaren and not be drama queens over something written in a paper. 

How is Nigel getting on at Forest? Oh I forgot, that didn't happen. 

Derby County want Burnley manager Sean Dyche to replace Steve McClaren this summer, regardless of which division they are in.

Play-off chasing Derby are planning for life without former England boss McClaren, who has been linked to jobs with Newcastle and Sunderland, and will make a concerted effort to get Dyche, who has impressed in the Premier League this season.

Burnley host Tottenham on Sunday still fighting for top-flight survival, despite being written off as relegation certainties before the season began.

Dyche, 43, has won admirers for his plain speaking and organising a competitive team on a restricted budget.

Derby, however, believe he will be tempted by a move to a bigger club — their average home gate of 29,000 is 10,000 more than Burnley get at Turf Moor.

Derby occupy the final play-off place in the Championship, although Friday’s 2-2 draw against Watford was their seventh game in a row without a win.

It is almost certain, however, that McClaren and the club will part ways at the end of the season, whether they win promotion or not.

McClaren was heavily backed to replace Alan Pardew at Newcastle earlier this season and insiders at Derby were unhappy at the way the story was highlighted in the public domain

Since then, Derby’s form has gone off the boil and McClaren admitted after their last game that they could no longer go up automatically.

The club were beaten 1-0 by QPR in last season’s Championship play-off final at Wembley.

I was in corporate hospitality last night and ended up sat next to someone with significant connections to the club and who has no reason to lie.

McClaren to Newcastle is agreed and Dyche is the man we want if Burnley go down.

It all makes sense really. Sam Rush must have thought promotion was virtually assured in Jan so a deal to keep SMC till the end of the season to see the job through was a no brainer. Everyone would have been happy.

The fact the season has imploded is going to make everyone look a bit silly.

To be fair, I doubted these rumours before but I did actually bump into Sam Rush this morning and he pretty much told me to keep it under my hat but that Mac is off.

He says he's not satisfied with the way things are going this season, the players are rebelling a little bit, rekindling their old loyalties to Clough etc... So he's decided he's going to go and coach Netball. He says the tactics are basically the same, except you don't get complete tosspots criticising everything you do from the stands. He's fallen out of love with football it seems.

Apparently he turned down Newcastle and Toon are now going to appoint Temur Ketsbaia, as long as he contractually agrees not to kick in the advertising boards that say "Sports Direct" because they're the most important sponsors. Early noises indicate he'll be given free reign to knock the hell out of any other advertiser though.

Like I say, you'll just have to take my word for it that this is true. I expect the Sun will be paying me handsomely for this story when it makes their back pages tomorrow?

Dyche at Watford then Burnley

P49 W17 D17 L15 (34%win)

P118 W45 D37 L36 (38%)

Steve McClaren CAREER and Derby

P558 W260 D131 L167 (46%)

P88 W49 D18 L21 (55%)

Wait it until you lot have something to really moan about. If you were shopping on Saturdays for the last decade or you somehow forgot what ***** football and traveling to Barnsley for a draw feels like then hopefully you get what you're asking for. 

Owen Coyle took Burnley from 15th in the Champ to promotion to the Premier League. No calls for him?

....insiders at Derby were unhappy at the way the story was highlighted in the public domain

Told again last night this story is just rubbish and lazy journalism at this time.There has been no approach from Newcastle no discussions between Mac,Derby and Newcastle about him leaving there fore  no agreement.

Believe what Sam is telling you he has no at all to gain by lying to you he never has yet and would destroy his credibility if he did.

To be fair, I doubted these rumours before but I did actually bump into Sam Rush this morning and he pretty much told me to keep it under my hat but that Mac is off.

He says he's not satisfied with the way things are going this season, the players are rebelling a little bit, rekindling their old loyalties to Clough etc... So he's decided he's going to go and coach Netball. He says the tactics are basically the same, except you don't get complete tosspots criticising everything you do from the stands. He's fallen out of love with football it seems.

Apparently he turned down Newcastle and Toon are now going to appoint Temur Ketsbaia, as long as he contractually agrees not to kick in the advertising boards that say "Sports Direct" because they're the most important sponsors. Early noises indicate he'll be given free reign to knock the hell out of any other advertiser though.

Like I say, you'll just have to take my word for it that this is true. I expect the Sun will be paying me handsomely for this story when it makes their back pages tomorrow?

Told again last night this story is just rubbish and lazy journalism at this time.There has been no approach from Newcastle no discussions between Mac,Derby and Newcastle about him leaving there fore  no agreement.

Believe what Sam is telling you he has no at all to gain by lying to you he never has yet and would destroy his credibility if he did.

Why? Anyone on here that genuinely thinks McClaren is staying is deluded. Not sure about the Dyche thing though, the only reason the mail give for him justifying a move to us, is the fact we get 10k more fans than they do.

I think people on here are going totally overboard over this issue: 2+2  =5.

obviously Newcastle are in the market for a manager. They may have made a tentative enquiry.

if they did they would have been told that everyone is focussed on this season, and it will cost £2m to buy mcclaren out of his contract in the summer.

newcastle have decided to wait until the summer before re-assessing their options. Thats it.

i doubt that there is any deal for schteve to go already in place, and i doubt whether newcastle have decided yet what they will do.

besides which newcastle is a non-job. Others buy the players. They will always finish around 12th. Apparently that is the priority which they don't wish to jeopardise by over commitment to cup competitions. 

what can a manager realistically achieve there?

Imagine the scenes when Newcastle fans are told they've shelled out £2m on making Mac manager?

I think our failure in this latter part of the season has almost sealed McClaren's fate. 

If he fails to achieve the playoffs then he would struggle to get a move to any Premier League club. 

I wouldn't panic - I think McClaren would go, which is why he hasn't outright denied the option, but I don't think Newcastle, or any Premier League club, would want him following our capitulation this season. 

Archived