Derby search for McClaren replacement..

​The problem we have is a lack of balance. We are an attacking side, and when we are steamrollering teams we love it. But the problem is, success isn't built on being a team that could score 3 on any given day, but also ship the same amount at the other end. 

Solid defence first because if you haven't conceded, you haven't lost. Then you build on that. It doesn't always have to be Billy Davies 1-0s because you are tight at the back. 

Hell, Clough Snr had a hell of a defence here, but **** me could we attack with flair. 

I would suggest that has been SM biggest mistake here. Not sorting the defence in January, and instead focussing on signing more attacking players. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the opposite way. That's the way that the likes of Villa, Sunderland, Hull and Co set up. We did under Nigel. 

Paul Lambert for me is the dullest manager in the world because he does defending before attacking. His mentality is to not lose before worrying about winning. Same with Dyche. 

You look at teams like Bournemouth and they haven't been hung up on talking about clean sheets like we have. You can only win by scoring. On Monday they conceded 2. But with a team capable of scoring 2,3,4 goals you just knew they'd be ok.

Compare that to Boro. Really solid at the back but if a free kick deflects in or a long ranger hits the top corner then it becomes a problem for them because they struggle to break teams open and scoring 3 is a rare treat. 2-0 up v Boro is game over. 

"Being hard to beat" is too negative for me. That obviously doesn't mean to say that defenders and defending is not important. 

Plus attacking is a scarier prospect for the opposition  than worrying about how they'll score. Attack is the best form of defence. It's true. Nobody ever got 3pts for a clean sheet.

I agree our defending at times has been poor both from defenders and other areas. But poor finishing has cost us dearly too. 

Darren Bent missing a 1v1 against Watford was just as costly as some of the defensive errors. Thankfully he's done far more good than bad. But you get my point.

Tbh 2 months ago I was distraught at the thought of Mac going, and yes I think he does owe us. Sunderland & Wigan didn't fancy him but we gave him a chance, at this moment is he a success or failure? Well think back to the Forest game which cost Nigel his job; who was in the stand - Tony Pullis. At the time I would rather have had my throat cut than had him as Manager, but I tell you this Tony Pullis would have taken us to the PL last season. Why cos we'd have been organised and hard to beat but with the squad he inherited we'd have gone up. So actually Mac has done well but imo he's failed on the main focus - promotion to PL. If he goes to Newcastle good luck to him cos he'll need it cos the Geordies won't wear failure. As for a replacement well Warburton had done great at Brentford; but what's the expectation? Different to Drrby a County so we need to chose the right man and get behind him cos I don't think we'll go up this season and imo that is failure - BIG TIME. So maybe it's time Mac moved on cos after all he's NEVER quashed the rumours and neither has Sam Rush - so wish him luck but Derby County lives on in all our hearts.

Tbh 2 months ago I was distraught at the thought of Mac going, and yes I think he does owe us. Sunderland & Wigan didn't fancy him but we gave him a chance, at this moment is he a success or failure? Well think back to the Forest game which cost Nigel his job; who was in the stand - Tony Pullis. At the time I would rather have had my throat cut than had him as Manager, but I tell you this Tony Pullis would have taken us to the PL last season. Why cos we'd have been organised and hard to beat but with the squad he inherited we'd have gone up. So actually Mac has done well but imo he's failed on the main focus - promotion to PL. If he goes to Newcastle good luck to him cos he'll need it cos the Geordies won't wear failure. As for a replacement well Warburton had done great at Brentford; but what's the expectation? Different to Drrby a County so we need to chose the right man and get behind him cos I don't think we'll go up this season and imo that is failure - BIG TIME. So maybe it's time Mac moved on cos after all he's NEVER quashed the rumours and neither has Sam Rush - so wish him luck but Derby County lives on in all our hearts.

I don't know how you can say that about Pulis.

Stokes highest finish in the PL isn't under Pulis. 

He didn't get them promotion  in his first, second, third or fourth season. 

Sam Rush said it's all speculation and there's been no contact from Newcastle. What does he have to say to "quash the rumours"

McClaren and no other manager would ever come out and completely disregard it though.

He probably hasn't heard anything, as Rush insists...but for all McClaren knows Newcastle could come along in the summer and double his wages. He'd obviously go if that was the case, as he'd be stupid not to.

McClaren doesn't owe us anything so will people stop acting like he does.

'Nobody would take him on, we gave him his chance, he should respect us blah blah'

Loyalty is a two-way street. If McClaren came in and fared poorly you would all want him sacked, and he probably would be sacked. Where is the loyalty in that?

If you aren't prepared to be loyal to a manager based on results, don't expect the same from the manager when better opportunities come along.

Who could bregudge a manager a better opportunity? Loyalty is such a fickle word used by the fans.

X player or X manager sould show us loyalty! Says the fans who actively seek managers and players out for underperforming or simply doing something they don't like.

Also regarding Alpha's point above, 100% agree. Goals win games, defending is important, but you will generally find in almost any league the most attacking teams are near the top. 

I mentioned before but under Mac we've become too controlling, too respectful. Forget tiredness, players don't become tired when they're fully enjoying themselves banging goals in for fun. In contrast, goals breed confidence.

There is little coincidence that the top three in the league are the highest scorers and most consistent. It will be interesting to see how we set out to play against Blackpool. We really should be aiming for at least four goals.

On the topic of respectfulness, did anyone else notice that we always seem to stop once we've put five past the opposition? Forest and Wolves are the two games that really stick in my mind. We could have stuck six, seven or even eight past them, but we just slowed the tempo down and controlled the game for the last 20/30 minutes. Yes, I realise it's me being hyper-critical but;

1. it's something that really bugged me, especially seeing as I'm a part of the generation of Derby fans that has never seen us score six. 
  2. it's a minor problem that seems to have developed to the point were if we go 2-0 then we'll be content with that and control, like Charlton at home. 

On the topic of respectfulness, did anyone else notice that we always seem to stop once we've put five past the opposition? Forest and Wolves are the two games that really stick in my mind. We could have stuck six, seven or even eight past them, but we just slowed the tempo down and controlled the game for the last 20/30 minutes. Yes, I realise it's me being hyper-critical but;

1. it's something that really bugged me, especially seeing as I'm a part of the generation of Derby fans that has never seen us score six. 
  2. it's a minor problem that seems to have developed to the point were if we go 2-0 then we'll be content with that and control, like Charlton at home. 

His teams are organised, defend well and he gets results - look at Palace last season. I don't like the guy but the point I'm tryin to mAke is there's life after Steve. How does he quash it? Simple really he comes out and says it's rubbish and he's here for the long term. What has he said - nothing except it's that time of year and he doesn't know where it's coming from. Well it's comin from somewhere and Mac is doing NOTHING to quash it,

Fickle for having an opinion - I don't think so my friend. I've been watching Derby County before you were on this bloody earth so don't tell me I'm bloody fickle. I've seen Mac here as player, assistant and bloody head coach. People like you make me bloody sick turning on every fan who dares to question Derby County. So when you've been watchin this great club as long as me then I'll bloody listen - pal. i don't want Mac to go but if he does then so be it. 

McClaren and no other manager would ever come out and completely disregard it though.

He probably hasn't heard anything, as Rush insists...but for all McClaren knows Newcastle could come along in the summer and double his wages. He'd obviously go if that was the case, as he'd be stupid not to.

Archived