Match Thread - Oxford United (A) - Tuesday 22nd October 2024

Crewton

Judging by the post-match reports of Saturday's game, I'm a little fortunate/unfortunate to be able to start this match thread. Millwall undoubtedly had the better of the game, but equally were fortunate that an errant linesman's flag denied the Rams what would have been a pretty clear cut penalty. As it is, it was hard to argue that they didn't deserve their point.

A good contingent of travelling support now head off to the Dreaming Spires of Oxford for the second of four away fixtures in this batch of 5 games. But what are those Spires dreaming of? Nothing, of course, because they're not sentient beings, but Oxford fans will no doubt be dreaming of 3 points after snatching a very late point on Saturday with a 92nd minute equaliser. Ex-Ram starlet Louie Sibley was a 64th minute substitute, only to be booked a few minutes later for a challenge that many observers felt deserved a Red Card. Lucky Louie. Fingers crossed his luck, and that of his team-mates, is lacking on Tuesday evening.

Oxford and the Rams are tied on 13 points in mid-table, with the O's having a slightly better goal difference. I suspect it will take more of a front- footed performance from the Rams to keep me in a job. Hopefully, Jerry Yates' first goal in a Rams shirt will inspire him to build further on his otherwise excellent start to the season and bag the goals to bring our first 3 points of the season away from Pride Park.

Going to be a tough one. We’ll miss Nyambe’s presence.

I like Wilson but he’s so frustrating to watch. Every good thing he does is immediately followed by a slack pass or an over-elaborate trick. If he can learn to add good decision making to his attributes, he’ll be a real asset going forward.

I wonder whether we might return to Adams, Kenzo and Osborn in midfield. 

Hope you inspire a first away win, Crewton!

Oxford will line up with a 4–1-4-1 system and will look to get bodies forward where they will have Ruben Rodrigues, Tyler Goodrham and Siriki Dembele will get in and around the box. Mark Harris will more than likely start up front but he hasn’t scored in his last 6 games after starting the season with 4 in 4. They could also use Dane Scarlett from the start as he scored a late equalizer against West Brom on Saturday. 

With Nyambe and Ozoh not fit to start. I would go with a back 5 which would also allow Phillips to play in a game where we will have slightly more of the ball than in comparison to his last start at Sunderland. I’d go with

JWZ

Nelson Phillips Cashin 

Wilson Ebou Kenzo Osborn Forsyth 

NML Yates 

Bench: Vickers, Bradley, Elder, Ward, Ozoh, Tommo, Harness, CBT, Collins

On Attack Let NML pick up space where he wants as we seen him do a lot towards the end of last season when he was on top form, I’d also let Kenzo get forward and not worry as much about defensive problems when Oxford turn the ball over. 

I feel Jackson could do with a rest and CBT can be useful of the bench along with Jackson and Harness. I also thought Osborn really got stuck in and looked more like the player we expected against millwall and can help agaisnt oxfords energy. 

If Elder can play from the start I would debate is as Fozzy can’t play 3 games in a week I wouldn’t imagine. 

I think Warne will freshen it up, given Nyambe's injury and maybe not wanting Fozzy to play three games in a week.

Zetterstrom

Nelson     Phillips     Cashin

Wilson                                                       Elder

Goudmijn      Adams      Osborn

Harness     Yates

Bench: Vickers   Ward   Forsyth   Thompson  Chirewa   Mendez-Laing   Blackett-Taylor   Jackson   Brown

29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think Warne will freshen it up, given Nyambe's injury and maybe not wanting Fozzy to play three games in a week.

Zetterstrom

Harness     Yates

Bench: Vickers   Ward   Forsyth   Thompson  Chirewa   Mendez-Laing   Blackett-Taylor   Jackson   Brown

I think it's too soon for Elder to start. He's been out for a month and hasn't featured for the U21s yet. Thompson had been out for only 1 game more, but got 45 mins in for the U21s last week, so I'd expect Elder to get minutes off the bench or an U21 app before starting for the first team.

Forsyth to start, with Elder coming on for the last 15-20. Then Elder starting at the weekend to give Forsyth a rest. The only other alternative I see is Osborn starting at LWB as per Sunderland.

I'll also be very surpised if Jackson, Mendez-Laing, and Blackett-Taylor are all on the bench, especially if it essenitally means Harness in a CF role. With the players we've got, I think we won't see anything other than 433, 4231, or 343 from the start of games this season. We may see other shapes at the end of games (either seeing them out or chasing a goal)

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Zetterstrom

Harness     Yates

Chirewa is out for around 8 weeks.

Our team has changed and evolved significantly in the last 5 months. How much have they changed I wonder. 
We had their measure last time round .. what do we look like for like head to head from a technical analysis point of view. ?

For me (considering who is fit on the day ) the big changers/influencers to our previous incarnations are likely to be Yates and Kenzo. Who are theirs ? 

15 minutes ago, jono said:

Our team has changed and evolved significantly in the last 5 months. How much have they changed I wonder. 
We had their measure last time round .. what do we look like for like head to head from a technical analysis point of view. ?

For me (considering who is fit on the day ) the big changers/influencers to our previous incarnations are likely to be Yates and Kenzo. Who are theirs ? 

When we played them last December, the sides were:

image.thumb.png.1a56e7335f41cef62d85b88fd89bc7a6.png

This season, they've lined up in a 4141. 

GK: Jamie Cumming joined them in January on loan (perm in summer) after Beadle was recalled
RB: Stevens loan ended at the end of the season, with Brentford selling him for £500k. They replaced him with a £700k signing who impressed on loan at Peterborough, but struggled for regular game time at Rotherham
DM: McGuane left for Bristol City, with Vaulks joining on a free.
CM: Brannagan started the season as first choice, but has been out for over a month. El Mizouni has been his main replacement
RW: Mills was sent back to Everton in January. Siriki Dembele (6 goals and 1 assist in 37 games for Birmingham last season) has started most games this seaosn on the right wing

Now us...
An even mix of 433 and 4231.

GK: Zetterstrom for Wildsmith
LB: Elder has started most games at LB this season, but likely to be FOrsyth again for this fixture.
CM: Bird and Hourihane have been replaced with Adams and Goudmijn
RW: Jackson for Wilson
CF: Yates for Collins
LW/AM: Osborn/Harness for Barkhuizen (Mendez-Laing moving back from AM/CF to LW)

Overall, I'm not seeing much improvment from Oxford, whilst I see big improvements for us (especially at GK and CF)

Anything but a back three! Saturday looked terrible first half and not great after reverting to it again!

Sunderland was horrific with it

we never look any safer at the back, and it makes us play so deep end up with seven defensive players and then three forwards who have to run 60 yards to do anything with it.

really doesn’t suit us at all.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When we played them last December, the sides were:

image.thumb.png.1a56e7335f41cef62d85b88fd89bc7a6.png

This season, they've lined up in a 4141. 

GK: Jamie Cumming joined them in January on loan (perm in summer) after Beadle was recalled
RB: Stevens loan ended at the end of the season, with Brentford selling him for £500k. They replaced him with a £700k signing who impressed on loan at Peterborough, but struggled for regular game time at Rotherham
DM: McGuane left for Bristol City, with Vaulks joining on a free.
CM: Brannagan started the season as first choice, but has been out for over a month. El Mizouni has been his main replacement
RW: Mills was sent back to Everton in January. Siriki Dembele (6 goals and 1 assist in 37 games for Birmingham last season) has started most games this seaosn on the right wing

Now us...
An even mix of 433 and 4231.

GK: Zetterstrom for Wildsmith
LB: Elder has started most games at LB this season, but likely to be FOrsyth again for this fixture.
CM: Bird and Hourihane have been replaced with Adams and Goudmijn
RW: Jackson for Wilson
CF: Yates for Collins
LW/AM: Osborn/Harness for Barkhuizen (Mendez-Laing moving back from AM/CF to LW)

Overall, I'm not seeing much improvment from Oxford, whilst I see big improvements for us (especially at GK and CF)

Thank you. That’s brilliantly detailed. 
I start off with the mindset that we have beaten them before so maybe we can do it again, but you have to look at the nitty gritty. On paper it seems we can do this and bag 3 points …. But this is football so you just never know. Still a win leading up to Saturday would be more than useful 

🍻