Better Refs & Linos Than Today's

Comrade 86

Ex-ref speaks out on Norwich fiasco

Former top referee Keith Hackett gave a withering verdict on Norwich City's first goal against Derby County at the weekend.

Controversy surrounded the Canaries' opener scored by Borja Sainz as the ball was half-a-yard out of play when Josh Sargent crossed to the near post. The officials were jeered off at half-time and Sky Sports cameras captured the incident perfectly that showed the size of the mistake.

And Hackett, former boss of the PGMOL, said: "I would be very disappointed if my assistant referee did not flag that the ball was out of play. Not good officiating." When a Derby fan followed up to say the standard of officiating wasn't getting any better, Hackett said via his Twitter account: "Sadly, I think not."

On 28/09/2024 at 17:17, ram59 said:

Knowing that they robbed us with the first ball over the line, you'd have thought that he'd have given us the benefit of doubt on the second one leading to their third goal.

Got to guess that at referee school they are (quite rightly) told that this is what you should never do if you make a mistake. 

On 30/09/2024 at 13:17, Ram-Alf said:

post. The officials were jeered off at half-time and Sky Sports cameras captured the incident perfectly that showed the size of the mistake.

If the officials had the use of sky sports cameras it wouldn’t have happened.

Ever since the Japan Germany incident in the last World Cup, officials have been aware how easy it is to think a ball is out when a sliver is still over the line. I think the rule makes it very difficult for officials, and that it leads to officials tending to say - if they are unsure - that the ball was in 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

If the officials had the use of sky sports cameras it wouldn’t have happened.

Ever since the Japan Germany incident in the last World Cup, officials have been aware how easy it is to think a ball is out when a sliver is still over the line. I think the rule makes it very difficult for officials, and that it leads to officials tending to say - if they are unsure - that the ball was in 

We all know refs are human Kev...well most of em, The 1st one you didn't need Sky, He was on the right side and just a few yards away, Even the ref should have seen it, On TV you could see the ref look to the linesman with a bit of confusion on his face.

The 2nd one, we're talking millimeters here and the linesman is a good distance away...so...I'll give him a get out of jail free card for that one.

There's far too many officials that "think" but don't know, I see Fernandes(Man Utd)had his red card overturned on appeal, You see the ref thought he was right, The appeal pannell knew he was wrong...thinking aint knowing 👍

47 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

One positive.... I thought the officials in the Sunderland game were quite good. Even handed and tried to keep the game moving.

Sunderland fans thought he was sh*t and should have booked more of our players and possibly sent off a couple.

They should try living our life......

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

We all know refs are human Kev...well most of em, The 1st one you didn't need Sky, He was on the right side and just a few yards away, Even the ref should have seen it, On TV you could see the ref look to the linesman with a bit of confusion on his face.

The 2nd one, we're talking millimeters here and the linesman is a good distance away...so...I'll give him a get out of jail free card for that one.

There's far too many officials that "think" but don't know, I see Fernandes(Man Utd)had his red card overturned on appeal, You see the ref thought he was right, The appeal pannell knew he was wrong...thinking aint knowing 👍

Refs have to make decisions, say to blow for a foul, in 2 situations 

- where they are certain (in your words, they ‘know’) that there was a foul. A certain ‘tackle’ by Roy Keane comes to mind

- when they are not certain, but think that in all likelihood there was an offence. 

So your thinking/knowing dichotomy doesn’t work for me.

My point was more about the difficulty of applying the ‘overhanging the line’ rule. If an attacking winger crossed the ball in front of the South Stand and there was 1mm of the ball still overhanging the line when he did so, every single fan in that stand would say (in your terms) that they ‘know’ the ball was out. 

Bringing to mind this quite nice joke:

Heisenberg and Schrödinger are in a car. They get pulled over. Heisenberg is driving and the cop asks him "Do you know how fast you were going?"

"No, but I know exactly where I am" Heisenberg replies.

The cop says "You were doing 55 in a 35." Heisenberg throws up his hands and shouts "Great! Now I'm lost!"

The cop thinks this is suspicious and orders him to pop open the trunk. He checks it out and says "Do you know you have a dead cat back here?"

"We do now, asshole!" shouts Schrödinger.

Edited by kevinhectoring

• 3 weeks later...

Is anybody keeping count of goals/points gained or lost through the officials this season? 

Sheff Utd's goal was from a free kick that never was, 2 of Norwich's goals came after the ball went out of play, although there was a possible offside for CBT's goal in that game. Now we have the penalty not given for a very late questionable offside decision. 

That's 3 games where we have picked up only 1 point in total, whilst we'll never know what would have happened, I suspect that is likely that we'd have improved on that 1 point. That's 30% of our games, which we have suffered from questionable decisions, hopefully we're due some better luck with the officials.

I’m not one to have a go at officials, I’ve always thought the decisions even themselves out over the season.

But even I’m losing faith in that philosophy.

The ref at Millwall stopped the game so much that there was no flow and killed it as a spectacle.

The guy tonight was a joker, how on earth is Osborne’s a foul, let alone a yellow?!

Are we seriously at the stage where you can’t make a tackle anymore?

It’s becoming clear that these officials have never played the game themselves at any level, they don’t  have the common sense to understand how, once a fair tackle is made, the momentum may/will mean contact with the opposing player - This doesn’t make it a foul.

I know I’m comparing apples with oranges but most cricket umpires at County level upwards are ex-players.

I think the standard in Derby games this year is the worse I’ve seen.

😞

2 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I’m not one to have a go at officials, I’ve always thought the decisions even themselves out over the season.

But even I’m losing faith in that philosophy.

The ref at Millwall stopped the game so much that there was no flow and killed it as a spectacle.

The guy tonight was a joker, how on earth is Osborne’s a foul, let alone a yellow?!

Are we seriously at the stage where you can’t make a tackle anymore?

It’s becoming clear that these officials have never played the game themselves at any level, they don’t  have the common sense to understand how, once a fair tackle is made, the momentum may/will mean contact with the opposing player - This doesn’t make it a foul.

I know I’m comparing apples with oranges but most cricket umpires at County level upwards are ex-players.

I think the standard in Derby games this year is the worse I’ve seen.

😞

Its absolutely shocking. Unless they start using ex players it will continue to get worse.