Sheff UTD (A) - Match Thread

Eoghan1884

First half performance was pretty good.

Second half was poor. Desperate defending and abysmal passing. Nelson’s lack of footballing ability was exposed but Cashin and Phillips were no better. Only Adams put up a show in midfield through sheer effort.

We have dangerous attacking players but they need the ball to their feet and we couldn’t do that. Bad day at the office but not the end of the world!

40 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Too late with the subs again, needed to stop their momentum sooner.

Our ball retention has been shocking, I know that they have a better side than us but we should be holding onto the ball better than this. 
This might be controversial but can we afford to have Nelson in the side with his limited skill on the ball on top of Cashin making mistakes? Is Phillips any better? 

He’s normally good on the ball. He’s had a not-so-great game today for sure, but that doesn’t suddenly make him a liability. 
To be honest what other Rams player has stood out ? Kenzo been totally anonymous and we have had very little creativity or ball retention across the team.::

4 minutes ago, jono said:

Gloomy Sunday wake up it is then ! Would have loved a draw but whilst we seemed a bit toothless it sounds like we were tidy enough and gave a good account of ourselves, away from home, against a side that will be top half. There will be days like this. It’s how we come back in the next one. Need to win it before we face Sunderland.

i was Radio Derby only .. anyone at the game, how did we look ? Was there some flow and link up / cohesion about our general play ?

I would say there was absolutely no link up / cohesion in our play when we had the ball in the second half. Honestly I don't really remember the first half feels like an eternity ago.

Our pass success rate was 66% which sounds bad, but I suspect that % is significantly lower when considering only forward passes.

Shape off the ball was good, though. And recovery into shape was excellent.

26 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

You haven't criticised Warne there, but you have regularly you must admit that.

It was a mild joke. I think you're a decent poster but possibly on the negative side

I've never put anyone on ignore but feel free to do so if you're going to be so touchy.

Curious what in this modern world on this forum makes a ‘decent poster’ !!? 

is it agree or be critisized  or cancelled ?

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say a moment of genuine quality got the better of us. Watching the highlights back and you can see what a lovely strike the free kick is. That’s what £15 million can get you. That’s the difference right there.

People will criticise our attacking set up and ask why we’ve only had three shots in 90 plus minutes, but did you really expect us to go to a recently relegated side and take the game to them?

Sheff Utd were always likely to impose themselves and have too much quality for us given where we are in our rebuild. We have to take it on the chin and not let it get us down and just come back swinging v Norwich next weekend and try our very best to get more points on the board.

We’ll finish the weekend in the top half and with a five point cushion from the bottom three. There really isn’t a lot of fuss to be made, surely?

Edited by Jourdan

It's something Jakob will have to look at with the coaches. I'd have had another one on the end and the wall a bit further over to cover the post that the shot went in off and probably a taller player too, though with some very big players of theirs in the middle, I understand why the smaller players were in the wall. Take nowt away from Hamer though - it was a top class FK.

I assume Ritchie Barker was still serving his touchline ban, on the basis that Wilder would have kept his mitts off Yates if Ritchie had been growling at him. Wilder's turned into a real t*sser.

I've heard it said that the FK was very dubious - with one of the Madley brothers in charge, I expect nothing else. I'll be glad when him and his even w*nkier brother retire. No problems with SUFC winning the game (it sounds like they deserved it) I just wish it wasn't due in part to crap refereeing again.

Good, honest interviews on RD with Warne and Cash.

7 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

It's my opinion...

If you're aiming the rest at me, then I've not cancelled anyone, or told anyone to agree or been bothered either way. 

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I would say there was absolutely no link up / cohesion in our play when we had the ball in the second half. Honestly I don't really remember the first half feels like an eternity ago.

Our pass success rate was 66% which sounds bad, but I suspect that % is significantly lower when considering only forward passes.

Shape off the ball was good, though. And recovery into shape was excellent.

It didn’t sound that bad on the radio, just on the basis of hearing the frequency of our midfielders names and Yates running. I had a sense (and that’s only from the commentary) that we did pretty well in the first half and pass success rate at that point was 76% ? 
From the radio it sounded like we ran out of steam in the last 25 mins or so .. or the players with the capacity to change a game did ? 
Hate losing but it’s clear to me, having played a number of the likely high fliers, that we can compete reasonably well but will inevitably have less than pleasant away days like this. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

It didn’t sound that bad on the radio, just on the basis of hearing the frequency of our midfielders names and Yates running. I had a sense (and that’s only from the commentary) that we did pretty well in the first half and pass success rate at that point was 76% ? 
From the radio it sounded like we ran out of steam in the last 25 mins or so .. or the players with the capacity to change a game did ? 
Hate losing but it’s clear to me, having played a number of the likely high fliers, that we can compete reasonably well but will inevitably have less than pleasant away days like this. 

Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I was watching it, and to my mind basically every time the ball entered Sheff Utds half it was within their control again in a matter of seconds at most - add onto that the dozen or so times they gained control of it in our half.

I can't think of a single second half sequence of 5 or more passes that wasn't between the defenders and Zetterstrom.

Also, if it was 76% at HT and then 66% at FT doesn't that imply that the 2nd half rate was significantly less than 66? 

First half was decent and I can’t remember them having a huge number of big chances.

The biggest disappointment for me was that we never really seemed to try for the equaliser. I know there is a good chance we would have given up more opportunities on the counter but we never looked like getting a goal. 

Still, these aren’t the games that will define our season. Let’s hope Elder is ok!

16 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

I’ll tell you what makes a decent poster. It’s really easy. Have an opinion, back it up with fact, logical argument or honest humour. Don’t have an agenda fixed view and hobby horse that routinely denies reality and evidence to the contrary.( If you do that, you’re not going to be cancelled, you’re just going to be seen as boring. )

Exchange views, never have all the answers and have the maturity to at least recognise a logical counter argument even if you don’t agree. 

21 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say a moment of genuine quality got the better of us. Watching the highlights back and you can see what a lovely strike the free kick is. That’s what £15 million can get you. That’s the difference right there.

People will criticise our attacking set up and ask why we’ve only had three shots in 90 plus minutes, but did you really expect us to go to a recently relegated side and take the game to them?

Sheff Utd were always likely to impose themselves and have too much quality for us given where we are in our rebuild. We have to take it on the chin and not let it get us down and just come back swinging v Norwich next weekend and try our very best to get more points on the board.

We’ll finish the weekend in the top half and with a five point cushion from the bottom three. There really isn’t a lot of fuss to be made, surely?

A recently relegated side? That's exactly the opponent I'd expect us to "take the game to"...!

In a rainy Majorca, so just got the result. Was pleased it was so close but disappointed to read that the performance wasn’t great.  Was our Palace loanee missed as much as we thought he would be? Never mind, on to Norwich 😊

First half good, second half poor. Better team won. As long as we're not getting blown away in games like that we should have enough about us to stay up.

I thought CBT looked sharp and worked hard when he came on. He even defended half decently when he's obviously not a natural wingback. Hope Elder isn't too injured but he looked heartbroken.

Having just caught up, and seen the goal, I reckon JWZ either positioned the wall wrong, or himself.  🤷‍♂️

Given the angles/trajectories/his starting position, by the time he spots the ball, he also catches sight of the post, and human nature kicks in to hold back on the spring needed in his legs to reach the ball.
Any save of that... which I believe he would technically be capable of, as excellent as the free-kick was.. would almost certainly have had us heralding him a hero, whilst simultaneously bemoaning the fact that he misses the next 3(?) games due to concussion.

Just my opinion, and of course, we will never know the outcome "Had he have saved it", but there does appear to be a lack of power in his dive.  It's almost "Half-hearted"... but as it's almost certainly "Human nature" doing its thing, rather than a conscious decision to "s***-out", any blame on him would be as per my opening line, not the lack of effort in the attempted save.

Shame really, as I reckon we'd have all gladly taken a 0-0 here.

🐏

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I was watching it, and to my mind basically every time the ball entered Sheff Utds half it was within their control again in a matter of seconds at most - add onto that the dozen or so times they gained control of it in our half.

I can't think of a single second half sequence of 5 or more passes that wasn't between the defenders and Zetterstrom.

Also, if it was 76% at HT and then 66% at FT doesn't that imply that the 2nd half rate was significantly less than 66? 

Yes it does doesn’t it. Obviously I didn’t see it but there does seem to be an issue with retaining the ball across a number of games. It’s going to interesting to see what adjustments get made over the coming weeks because I’ll bet the coaches see what we see.