Barrow (A) - Match Thread

Sean

50 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

There was a reason he shouldn't have taken a pen - we should have better penalty takers to take them instead of him. I shouldn't have singled out Fozzy but my whole point was it shouldn't be too much of a surprise we lost the shootout when you look at our takers. They aren't 100% luck. 

I think Yates has only missed 1 penalty out of about 13 in his career which is good. Of course no one is guaranteed to score but it obviously helps. 

Might it be rather less petulant to admit we just had a bad game instead of scapegoating, blame gaming, moaning, character assassinating. Oh I know … there’s a word for that. … A supporter. 

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's part of it. You're meant to put your best penalty takers first and Collins effort is still probably travelling over the North Sea

That just served to heap more pressure on the other penalty takers whom frankly weren't up to it either.

Partly blame Collins as being a senior pro should have been leading by example instead of adding extra pressure. 

The players looked bereft of confidence during the game so the penalties were just a continuation of this and no real surprise we lost. 

Yes, penalty shoot outs can go either way, but approaching with an obvious lack of confidence isn't going to help.

It could be argued that not being involved in cup competitions enables focus on the priority of surviving the first season in the Ch'ship. On the other hand it's an opportunity to give real match experience to fringe players. Also I imagine Mr Clowes would keenly welcome any additional revenue into the club. 

55 minutes ago, Sean said:

Would've been QPR away actually as our ball number would've been where Palace was

You’ve now made look at woulda coulda shoulda cup draws in a different way. Never thought of it that way, would have been on here saying we had no chance against Chelsea myself had this reply not been made.

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

My male 3 year old Labrador woke me up at 1.20am having thrown up in his bed, then again at 2.50am having had diarrhoea in his changed bed then again at 6am to finally throw up the sock he'd eaten.

Sounds like I had a better night than everyone who watched us play Barrow tbf.....😉

Sounds like you probably made up the dog ownership bit, but notwithstanding I agree your night seemed better than the 40 minutes of the first half I watched before turning off the TV.

11 hours ago, vonwright said:

Yeah I sort-of agree with you. My point is only that Leicester's set up was quite sophisticated as well as extremely cohesive and suited to the team. I agree that lots of different styles can work; I don't think just any style can work. It's not clear to me exactly what we are trying to do - and insofar as it is clear, it seems pretty one-dimensional and unlikely to succeed.

A lack of possession isn't the problem, that's true. But Leicester had a clear and effective plan for what to do when they did get the ball. I'm not sure we do. 

The thing I would say is that no manager , especially one who has had decent success like warne has sends his team out with no plan or trains all week with no plan in mind , surely you would agree? The question is can he get his players to implement it well enough to get results , don’t get me wrong , like everyone else I can look at games and think we have no plan in games where we are poor , I did it a bit under rosenior as well as other managers because there has to be more than park the bus or just keep the ball as both those on they’re own will not get you far and both make you look clueless if the players are off it and or the manager is not getting his plan across and yes sometimes the plan just doesn’t work in some games , I don’t blindly think Warne is fantastic but by the same token I don’t think it’s right to label him as a PE teacher with no plan , that’s just not right or fair by some on here , he hasn’t just got promoted with us with a squad some wrongly believe was far superior to our promotion rivals , he’s done it 3 times at Rotherham,

we started slow last season and I had concerns , this season we have a lot of new players that he will need to drill onto how he wants them to play am I’m ok to give a bit of time to see what he can do , I think he deserves that from the club and fans but that’s just my view

10 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

your perfectly placed to answer that, your a DCFC fan who watches every game. 

Ask all fans up and down the country how their club play football and they know. 

They do when it goes well , not so much when they play poorly

10 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

so hypothetically, if a manager set us up with only one defender in a 1-0-9 formation, would you say thats a bad style/approach ?

Has warne done that ? Or any other manager you can point me to ? If not them perhaps your being silly or just trying to find a middle ground where we might agree a very extreme plan has no chance of working🤷🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

There was a reason he shouldn't have taken a pen - we should have better penalty takers to take them instead of him. I shouldn't have singled out Fozzy but my whole point was it shouldn't be too much of a surprise we lost the shootout when you look at our takers. They aren't 100% luck. 

I think Yates has only missed 1 penalty out of about 13 in his career which is good. Of course no one is guaranteed to score but it obviously helps. 

Are you suggesting we need to fill our team/ squad with good penalty taker just in case

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Sounds like you probably made up the dog ownership bit, but notwithstanding I agree your night seemed better than the 40 minutes of the first half I watched before turning off the TV.

Wish I'd switched it off. Foolishly I kept expecting it to get better. I thought it was going to at the beginning of the second half but ............. you definitely made the right call.

6 hours ago, vonwright said:

Hmm. Not quite the same.

Screenshot_20240829-003010.png

Same result though, which is all that really matters in a cup match. Do you think Premier League Ipswich are proud of their dominant performance at League 2 Wimbledon, despite the humbling exit?

11 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

so hypothetically, if a manager set us up with only one defender in a 1-0-9 formation, would you say thats a bad style/approach ?

You mean like setting up at kick off sending half of your team flying forward on the right side, only for the ball to be cleared against your non existent defence, so conceding a goal less than 20 seconds after you've kicked off?😁😁😁