Barrow (A) - Match Thread

Sean

Well,  I'm not going to lie, as an out and proud positive happy clapper, today has been a difficult day! I'm not going to defend last night's performance because, well, it was awful, but neither am I going to let it define how I still hope the rest of the season may pan out. On the plus side, had a very nice meal at a lovely Barrow restaurant, and ticked off another new ground, so all was not lost! 😁

3 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

This isn't a fluke though. We've got rid of most our technical players and don't have many who can take a penalty. Forsyth shouldn't be anywhere near taking a pen. Barrow clearly had better penalty takers than us. When Ward isn't on the pitch we've got NML on set pieces and he's not brilliant.

That's part of it. You're meant to put your best penalty takers first and Collins effort is still probably travelling over the North Sea

That just served to heap more pressure on the other penalty takers whom frankly weren't up to it either.

Partly blame Collins as being a senior pro should have been leading by example instead of adding extra pressure. 

The players looked bereft of confidence during the game so the penalties were just a continuation of this and no real surprise we lost. 

4 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

This isn't a fluke though. We've got rid of most our technical players and don't have many who can take a penalty. Forsyth shouldn't be anywhere near taking a pen. Barrow clearly had better penalty takers than us. When Ward isn't on the pitch we've got NML on set pieces and he's not brilliant.

Hang on Forsyth penalty would actually have gone in - it was saved and on target - the other two are forwards and missed the target which is unacceptable? 

28 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Seen this a few times. Really don't think it's comparable. Ranieri set Leicester up to absorb pressure and then counter attack with speed and precision (through the likes of Kante, Mahrez, Vardy and Okazaki). But their attacks weren't one dimensional and they didn't just lump it to the wings. They weren't reliant on dead ball situations or hopeful crosses. They almost always looked like scoring in a way we simply don't. 

They chose a style and they did it well and if you read my posts and the posts I’m replying to you will clearly see that my point is there are all types of style of playing the game of football and it all comes down to if you do it well enough to get results , that’s what I will judge Warne on , if he can’t implement his style well enough to get the results required of him with the budget he has he will be gone , it really is that simple ,

I might add that we scored a decent amount of goals last season and they were varied in they’re type , if your say ALL we did was lump it down the wing and cross it then I suggest you find a compilation of all goals last season 

Edited by Archied

22 minutes ago, Archied said:

They chose a style and they did it well and if you read my posts and the posts I’m replying to you will clearly see that my point is there are all types of style of playing the game of football and it all comes down to if you do it well enough to get results , that’s what I will judge Warne on , if he can’t implement his style well enough to get the results required of him with the budget he has he will be gone , it really is that simple ,

I might add that we scored a decent amount of goals last season and they were varied in they’re type , if your say ALL we did was lump it down the wing and cross it then I suggest you find a compilation of all goals last season 

Yeah I sort-of agree with you. My point is only that Leicester's set up was quite sophisticated as well as extremely cohesive and suited to the team. I agree that lots of different styles can work; I don't think just any style can work. It's not clear to me exactly what we are trying to do - and insofar as it is clear, it seems pretty one-dimensional and unlikely to succeed.

A lack of possession isn't the problem, that's true. But Leicester had a clear and effective plan for what to do when they did get the ball. I'm not sure we do. 

Last night we were crap straight from the kick off. Mentally we were not right. I think the players thought they just had to turn up and they'd win. Why, I don't know. If you start off with the wrong mindset it is very difficult to change it during the game. The players picked last night, with the right attitude, should have been good enough to win the game in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Given that I have no interest in being or pretending to be a pundit and I’m not on the training ground or in team tactics talks I’m not best placed to answer that ,

your perfectly placed to answer that, your a DCFC fan who watches every game. 

Ask all fans up and down the country how their club play football and they know. 

3 hours ago, Archied said:

No I don’t think so , as someone pointed out before Leicester won the premiership with something like 40% possession stats , you / we decide what’s good / what we like , football is a results game where styles ,tactics , formations go in and out of fashion , work for periods then get countered , you might have closer to a point if every team were only allowed to spend the same amount on players and wages but over the years and perhaps even more so in todays game clubs and managers have to tailor what they do playing wise to budgets and also what a manager or coach likes personally,

so hypothetically, if a manager set us up with only one defender in a 1-0-9 formation, would you say thats a bad style/approach ?

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Fozzy's scored in penalty shootouts in front of the Stretford End and at home to Salford. Maybe Frank Lampard and Liam Rosenior forgot to ask for your advice first?

Collins was our regular penalty taker last season and Jackson hit the post with his penalty. Losing a penalty shootout isn't a shock - even the best teams do it.

You mean when Fozzy took a penalty vs Salford when our team was mostly U21s? or when he took the 7th penalty vs Man Utd? You aren't seriously suggesting penalty taking is a strength of Forsyth?

After Collins we didn't have anyone on the pitch who you'd say one of their strengths was penalties/dead balls. Jackson has taken 3 pens in his career and missed 2 of them. The squads gradually changed into one that favours athleticism over technicality. Penalties obviously have an element of luck but it can't be a surprise that we aren't that good at them.

Evens Collins's penalty conversion rate isn't amazing. Yates should be our taker.

8 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

You mean when Fozzy took a penalty vs Salford when our team was mostly U21s? or when he took the 7th penalty vs Man Utd? You aren't seriously suggesting penalty taking is a strength of Forsyth?

After Collins we didn't have anyone on the pitch who you'd say one of their strengths was penalties/dead balls. Jackson has taken 3 pens in his career and missed 2 of them. The squads gradually changed into one that favours athleticism over technicality. Penalties obviously have an element of luck but it can't be a surprise that we aren't that good at them.

Evens Collins's penalty conversion rate isn't amazing. Yates should be our taker.

You said "Fozzy shouldn't be anywhere near taking a penalty". I pointed out that he'd taken penalties successfully in shoot-outs before, therefore there was no reason why he shouldn't take a penalty last night.

You can argue that Yates should perhaps have been on the pitch so that he could take a penalty, but even his record isn't flawless - which means he wasn't guaranteed to score either.

My male 3 year old Labrador woke me up at 1.20am having thrown up in his bed, then again at 2.50am having had diarrhoea in his changed bed then again at 6am to finally throw up the sock he'd eaten.

Sounds like I had a better night than everyone who watched us play Barrow tbf.....😉

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Hang on Forsyth penalty would actually have gone in - it was saved and on target - the other two are forwards and missed the target which is unacceptable? 

I shouldn't have singled out Forsyth as he's probably better than most at penalties in our squad. But he shouldn't be in the top 5 takers in the squad.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's part of it. You're meant to put your best penalty takers first and Collins effort is still probably travelling over the North Sea

That just served to heap more pressure on the other penalty takers whom frankly weren't up to it either.

Partly blame Collins as being a senior pro should have been leading by example instead of adding extra pressure. 

The players looked bereft of confidence during the game so the penalties were just a continuation of this and no real surprise we lost. 

Collins's penalty record isn't really that good. He misses 1 in 4.

38 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You said "Fozzy shouldn't be anywhere near taking a penalty". I pointed out that he'd taken penalties successfully in shoot-outs before, therefore there was no reason why he shouldn't take a penalty last night.

You can argue that Yates should perhaps have been on the pitch so that he could take a penalty, but even his record isn't flawless - which means he wasn't guaranteed to score either.

There was a reason he shouldn't have taken a pen - we should have better penalty takers to take them instead of him. I shouldn't have singled out Fozzy but my whole point was it shouldn't be too much of a surprise we lost the shootout when you look at our takers. They aren't 100% luck. 

I think Yates has only missed 1 penalty out of about 13 in his career which is good. Of course no one is guaranteed to score but it obviously helps. 

Edited by DCFC Kicks

4 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Finally looking at a German manager could be our Danny rohl anymore info on him Jono? 

Just call me Liam. I could of made an error their of course, schpieling and grammar wer never a strong point of mine  … but who can say 😛

Edited by jono