Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

12 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Why does Michael Carrick think Middlesbrough is “obviously a big game for us”. ? Apart from it being a marker in where we are against an established championship team it is not a “big game”. (In my opinion )

It's big because we're back baby!  🐏

We're back up a level.
First home game of a brand new season.
Sunshine and shiny new shirts (Mine's limited edition, but I don't like to talk about it!) 
Nigh on full house.
Hopeful, if not expectant.

... Ain't got eff all to do with who we're playing.  And besides, there's plenty of other teams that would have made it feel even bigger.

#Boro' schmoro'

12 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Why does Michael Carrick think Middlesbrough is “obviously a big game for us”. ? Apart from it being a marker in where we are against an established championship team it is not a “big game”. (In my opinion )

Isn't he just meaning it's our first home game back in the Championship?

We also lost last week..

It is a big game. There will be a big crowd demanding a decent performance.

Wouldn't think he believes there is any special rivalry - the dislike from the FFP stuff is probably very one-sided.

If he means it's because we think they are massive then he's deluded...which I don't think he is.

Edited by Chester40

20 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Mate you are right. I looked at it and I swear it said 75th, so I read that wrong.

But my point is Leeds were so open last night, so I am hoping we do not make the same mistakes.

It is gonna be a very hard game, I think these will be a top 6 and potentially top 3 side this season who have been building for years. They are way ahead of us at the moment. Buts 11 against 11 against a team in our division. 

Their "Boro tv" man has said we will get chances. We just have to take them and that might be the problem. Like you I'd be surprised if Boro don't make top 6 or better. Blackburn? Look at the firepower they had on the bench. Szmodics, Weimann and Ohashi. That's a better front 3 than our starting one. 

Weimann wasn't a success with us but that's because we played him as a left winger rather than centrally. Bristol City played him in the middle and he scored regularly for them as he will for Rovers.

How many strikers have we bought in recent years and then played them on the wing, only to see them "fail"?

43 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Their "Boro tv" man has said we will get chances. We just have to take them and that might be the problem. Like you I'd be surprised if Boro don't make top 6 or better. Blackburn? Look at the firepower they had on the bench. Szmodics, Weimann and Ohashi. That's a better front 3 than our starting one. 

Weimann wasn't a success with us but that's because we played him as a left winger rather than centrally. Bristol City played him in the middle and he scored regularly for them as he will for Rovers.

How many strikers have we bought in recent years and then played them on the wing, only to see them "fail"?

I will never forget us buying Weimann and Villa fans said "Play him up front and he will score 20 goals in the Champ, but if you play him on the wing, he will be useless"

So needless to say we played him on the wing.

In all fairness Szmodics is going now, could have easily gone before we played them and Weimann is 33 now. My Dad would have scored that header. The amount of room he had was criminal. I would like to say Collins would score that, but I don't think he would be in that position as he would still be running back from the left back spot.

You say Ohashi, but lets be honest none of us have a clue who he is and you're basing him being better than our front 3 on seeing him play for 20 minutes and scoring. 

What some of our fans need to realise (not you by the way) is that we are not the Derby County of pre admin anymore. I think some of our fans see us as well we are Derby, notoriously a top half/top 6 Championship side. 

But 2 seasons ago we came back with 5 players. So we have literally started again. Clubs are going to spend more money than us right now. Not because they have more, because they have made more.

Hull are starting to spend (Think they made around £30 million from Greaves and Philogene), Boro made £25 million last summer, Coventry have made a lot. Clubs are spending because they have made money and right now we are not in a position to do that. We will be in time, but right now we arent.

25 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I will never forget us buying Weimann and Villa fans said "Play him up front and he will score 20 goals in the Champ, but if you play him on the wing, he will be useless"

So needless to say we played him on the wing.

In all fairness Szmodics is going now, could have easily gone before we played them and Weimann is 33 now. My Dad would have scored that header. The amount of room he had was criminal. I would like to say Collins would score that, but I don't think he would be in that position as he would still be running back from the left back spot.

You say Ohashi, but lets be honest none of us have a clue who he is and you're basing him being better than our front 3 on seeing him play for 20 minutes and scoring. 

What some of our fans need to realise (not you by the way) is that we are not the Derby County of pre admin anymore. I think some of our fans see us as well we are Derby, notoriously a top half/top 6 Championship side. 

But 2 seasons ago we came back with 5 players. So we have literally started again. Clubs are going to spend more money than us right now. Not because they have more, because they have made more.

Hull are starting to spend (Think they made around £30 million from Greaves and Philogene), Boro made £25 million last summer, Coventry have made a lot. Clubs are spending because they have made money and right now we are not in a position to do that. We will be in time, but right now we arent.

One day hopefully before I am six foot under we will be successful at bringing through young players for the benefit of the club on the pitch and selling them on for millions when they leave.

I think it’s going to be an exciting game, first home game back in the championship, big crowd, a good atmosphere. 

Need to defend well then hit them on the break.

Predicted 2-2 score but fearing a defeat now especially after their result midweek so 2-3 to Boro.

Edited by cstand

32 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Not based on a lot, I agree, but he looked good and scored in that 20 minutes and, midweek, got a goal and an assist against Stockport in the League Cup. Not a bad start to life in English football. 

I still think that, as a front 3, they looked better than ours. It might only have been 20 minutes for all 3 of them but all 3 scored.

7 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Not based on a lot, I agree, but he looked good and scored in that 20 minutes and, midweek, got a goal and an assist against Stockport in the League Cup. Not a bad start to life in English football. 

I still think that, as a front 3, they looked better than ours. It might only have been 20 minutes for all 3 of them but all 3 scored.

No, I agree mate.

But Szmodics wont be in that front 3 anymore.

And with us missing Yates, CBT and a new striker. Our front 3 is probably not complete yet.

I know some people have written CBT off. But I still think there's a player there and once he is fit and gets a run of games, then I will judge.

Even though I am trepidatious about our chances against a strong Middlesbrough side, I am super excited about returning to Pride Park tomorrow for our first home league game in the Championship.

It’s what we wanted for two seasons and now that we’re there, we focus on the negatives (and I’m as guilty as anyone else).

Let’s put our doubts behind us and give the team a fantastic welcome tomorrow and give JWZ an idea of what it’s like to join Derby County.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No, I agree mate.

But Szmodics wont be in that front 3 anymore.

And with us missing Yates, CBT and a new striker. Our front 3 is probably not complete yet.

I know some people have written CBT off. But I still think there's a player there and once he is fit and gets a run of games, then I will judge.

Szmodics is probably going but that front 3 is better than ours at the moment, maybe I should have been clearer about that. For me the jury is still out on Yates, Jackson and CBT. Whether I'd have the same view on those 3 Rovers subs 2 months down the road, only time will tell.

I also think there's a player inside CBT and hope that player will soon emerge from the chrysalis.

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Boro just announced Tommy Conway in a £4.5m deal from Brizzle. No idea if he goes straight into their side.

Saw that at HT in the Leeds/Boro game . Seemed to give Carricks forwards a kick up the backside . They had another £5 mill signing on the bench .