Brendan Wiredu

Eoghan1884

14 hours ago, Gladram said:

I'd say Whittaker is a perfect example of why a loan is better. We were a struggling team and he was mainly sent on to run around a lot to get and equaliser or protect a lead, which wasn't his game.

This didn't give him much opportunity to improve, just crushed his confidence. 

His confidence doesn't look great atm. Perhaps there's more to it than going out on loan?

I think Brown could easily be given until January window in the first team, but imo that's not going to happen. It didn't happen for Weston when we played in the Pizza Cup last season either.

16 hours ago, OoooMarkWright said:

It’s not just the Gateshead loan though is it?

Brown has been a regular goalscorer in the U18s and U21s. He has out scored some loan players we’ve been linked with at that level.  He has pace, power and knows where the net is. As others have said, if he scored 5 goals this season in cameos etc his value would rocket. No one is saying he should be first choice, but as a squad member, why not?

The thing with Dajaune is at the moment no one knows what his current ceiling is; is it, National League, EFL 1 or 2 or the Championship? The only way to find out is give him minutes in the first team when the opportunity arises. I watched him a lot last season in the U18 and U21. He couldn't have better attributes for an 18 years-old striker and he simply bubbles with enthusiasm. Given a chance, a first goal could be just the confidence kick start he needs to push on now. In my opinion if he does not start against Chesterfield tomorrow it will be a missed opportunity in determining if he is ready or not. We shouldn't be reluctant to give him a go.

17 hours ago, Spender said:

The thing with Dajaune is at the moment no one knows what his current ceiling is; is it, National League, EFL 1 or 2 or the Championship? The only way to find out is give him minutes in the first team when the opportunity arises. I watched him a lot last season in the U18 and U21. He couldn't have better attributes for an 18 years-old striker and he simply bubbles with enthusiasm. Given a chance, a first goal could be just the confidence kick start he needs to push on now. In my opinion if he does not start against Chesterfield tomorrow it will be a missed opportunity in determining if he is ready or not. We shouldn't be reluctant to give him a go.

I agree. To be frank, if he doesn't start tonight, then he should probably already be out on loan. I guess it will come down to how he's performing in training. If he's showing up well, then I suspect he'll start. If not, then he won't. For my part, I'd even compromise on  a 30 minute slot after JC has beat up their CBs a bit, as we do need to know, one way or t'other.

Sadly, I think @angieram was right in her assumption that the Jimmy Collins interview was a pre-empt to him getting his 100th start for the club tonight.

Ah well, not long to wait to find out I suppose! 

18 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I agree. To be frank, if he doesn't start tonight, then he should probably already be out on loan. I guess it will come down to how he's performing in training. If he's showing up well, then I suspect he'll start. If not, then he won't. For my part, I'd even compromise on  a 30 minute slot after JC has beat up their CBs a bit, as we do need to know, one way or t'other.

Sadly, I think @angieram was right in her assumption that the Jimmy Collins interview was a pre-empt to him getting his 100th start for the club tonight.

My money is on them both starting

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My money is on them both starting

Ooh, that'd be ok and would give us a chance to at least see whether he's progressing. I'll check the match thread  as you've likely posted your line up there and this thread needs to be cleaned up a little.

Edited by Comrade 86
typo

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think it’s nailed on for a Collins start, probably for an hour, to keep him fit for Saturday and then bring Brown on.

On 11/08/2024 at 21:57, Ghost of Clough said:

DBrown isn't yet a Championship reguaor forward. The question to ask is: will he get there quicker by playing regularly in L1, or the occasional sub appearance for us.

When it finally clicks for Dajaune, he'll be an absolute monster. Currently, I feel he's lacking that arrogance/confidence which Cashin essentially referred to 2 years ago. He doesn't yet feel like he belongs at that level. A short (6 month) loan to L1, would be enough to pave the way from him being a very goof NL forward to being an effective Championship forward.

Well he’s not going to develop any of that arrogance being dumped onto the bench and left there every match.

Oh, and I think Wiredu (remember him?) looks a promising option.

Edited by DavesaRam

Majority of the best youths that make it get in to the first team at clubs and stake a claim to be starting, ther are outliers like Kane who didn't show his real potential out on loan. Huddlestone, Bogle, Knight, Hughes, Hendrick, Bird etc, we need to give lads a chance and for me i'd play Brown tonight so he can adjust to competitive first team games. Obviously there are players that won't take well to being thrown in to the deep end but Brown looks strong enough to me.

So much depends on the team's overall performance, there's no point chucking Brown in if what's going on behind him is barely functioning properly, and then saying "you had your chance to impress" when it's hardly a chance at all.

Anyway, Wiredu.

Do we think any plan to play 3 at the back hinges on bringing him (or an alternative) in, or will Warne consider Nyambe a pacey enough to enable us to play it in the league without another addition?

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

So much depends on the team's overall performance, there's no point chucking Brown in if what's going on behind him is barely functioning properly, and then saying "you had your chance to impress" when it's hardly a chance at all.

Anyway, Wiredu.

Do we think any plan to play 3 at the back hinges on bringing him (or an alternative) in, or will Warne consider Nyambe a pacey enough to enable us to play it in the league without another addition?

Fozzy was MOTM playing there in the big game v Bolton last season.

On 12/08/2024 at 13:11, RoyMac5 said:

His confidence doesn't look great atm. Perhaps there's more to it than going out on loan?

I think Brown could easily be given until January window in the first team, but imo that's not going to happen. It didn't happen for Weston when we played in the Pizza Cup last season either.

Even though Weston looked the business, and looked like just the player we needed.

It does look like a goodbye, but I wonder how much Fleetwood get for him?

For a club like them, to play Wiredu for the full 90 in a League Cup first round game and potentially jeopardise a decent sum of money would be pretty reckless. It obviously worked out fine in the end, I just think he's probably not that close to an exit if Fleetwood are still playing him like that.