Brendan Wiredu

Eoghan1884

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Because from what I have seen of him he isnt good enough yet to be playing in the Champ, I think he would even struggle top end of League 1. Preseason was his chance to impress & imo he didnt do enough.

We're not in a position to give a 19 year old a chance in the hope he may come good, this season we need to make sure we stay up first & foremost.

Also, putting him in before he is ready could damage him more than help him.

Finally a voice of reason.

Imagine if we signed a 19 year old who had scored 8 goals for Gateshead last season.

Our fans would lose their heads.

Plus we'd send him out on loan.

Probably the main reason we want a striker on loan is because we don't want them to take Browns place in the next year or two.

I don't understand what people are seeing in Brown to think yeah let's chuck him in. Same ones who'd be the first ones on his back when he missed a chance.

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I just don't see the obsession with sending Brown out on loan. The lad's about to turn 19 and has a man's physique. That's surely the prime age for a striker with pace, power and an eye for goal to burst onto the scene. Why on earth can't we give him a chance to make his mark with us? We need to give him game time before the end of the month to properly be able to make that call.

many examples now of players we never really gave a chance to who are being touted for or making decent moves - Whittaker, Elsnik, brown, delap, Kellyman. Ok I get some were sold in admin etc etc but I agree we should be giving Brown game time now. If we don’t sign a number 9 then he should be interchanging with Yates with Collins as third choice - he needs consistent games to develop.

17 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Imagine if we signed a 19 year old who had scored 8 goals for Gateshead last season.

Probably the main reason we want a striker on loan is because we don't want them to take Browns place in the next year or two.

I don't understand what people are seeing in Brown to think yeah let's chuck him in. Same ones who'd be the first ones on his back when he missed a chance.

It’s not just the Gateshead loan though is it?

Brown has been a regular goalscorer in the U18s and U21s. He has out scored some loan players we’ve been linked with at that level.  He has pace, power and knows where the net is. As others have said, if he scored 5 goals this season in cameos etc his value would rocket. No one is saying he should be first choice, but as a squad member, why not?

8 minutes ago, thischarmingram said:

many examples now of players we never really gave a chance to who are being touted for or making decent moves - Whittaker, Elsnik, brown, delap, Kellyman. Ok I get some were sold in admin etc etc but I agree we should be giving Brown game time now. If we don’t sign a number 9 then he should be interchanging with Yates with Collins as third choice - he needs consistent games to develop.

I'd say Whittaker is a perfect example of why a loan is better. We were a struggling team and he was mainly sent on to run around a lot to get and equaliser or protect a lead, which wasn't his game.

This didn't give him much opportunity to improve, just crushed his confidence. 

12 minutes ago, thischarmingram said:

Mate Delap was sold to city for 1.5 million, Kelleyman was sold in admin.

Whittaker is the perfect example of why loans are good. If we were in a good position and he'd gone on loan, he would have come back to us more developed into the player he was last season. 

We had to sell him to Swansea. Who subsequently loaned him to Lincoln and then Plymouth and then sold him to Plymouth.

Now he's ready and playing in the championship. 

Elsnik was nowhere near ready at the time and I'd hardly called playing in the Slovakian league a decent move.

44 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Mate Delap was sold to city for 1.5 million, Kelleyman was sold in admin.

Whittaker is the perfect example of why loans are good. If we were in a good position and he'd gone on loan, he would have come back to us more developed into the player he was last season. 

We had to sell him to Swansea. Who subsequently loaned him to Lincoln and then Plymouth and then sold him to Plymouth.

Elsnik was nowhere near ready at the time and I'd hardly called playing in the Slovakian league a decent move.

Tbf Elsnik is playing in the champions league now at Red Star Belgrade, he's far surpassed our level. It's always a judgement call on whether a player is worth the investment in terms of long term development. I wasn't happy we let him go at the time.

8 hours ago, OoooMarkWright said:

It’s not just the Gateshead loan though is it?

Brown has been a regular goalscorer in the U18s and U21s. He has out scored some loan players we’ve been linked with at that level.  He has pace, power and knows where the net is. As others have said, if he scored 5 goals this season in cameos etc his value would rocket. No one is saying he should be first choice, but as a squad member, why not?

Because him potentially coming on for the last 10-15 minutes running around chasing a goal will not be as good for his development as a full season in league one/league two playing week in week out. Where if he has got it, he could get anywhere between 10-20 goals.

If we rate him highly then we do that and next season he can come back potentially ready to play.

9 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Maybe, maybe not.

It's not always about the level they're playing at but whether the club / manager is the right fit for them.

Wayne Rooney was not that manager. He still isn't based on yesterday's showing.

We sold him to Swansea when Cooper was in charge there. Cooper was a fan, seemed to understand what sort of player he was and praised his early contributions. There's some indication that he'd have had meaningful Championship game time under Cooper the next season had he stayed, and the same Whittaker we saw for Plymouth may have even emerged a year or so earlier.

Their new manager didn't give him a proper chance and loaned him out. He ended up at Plymouth (via Lincoln) under Schumacher - the same manager who oversaw his hot spell in the Championship - before being recalled by Swansea to play for a manager who still didn't really want to use him.

Once Schumacher left Plymouth last season Whittaker's output fell off a fair bit which leads me back to the start of the post - its not necessarily the case that he improved simply because he went on loan to L1 but because he had a manager who believed in him and knew how best to use him.

Heck, I suspect that if he stays at Plymouth and Rooney isn't sacked soon there will even be people questioning his Championship credentials and putting his success in the first half of last season down as a purple patch.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

57 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Because him potentially coming on for the last 10-15 minutes running around chasing a goal will not be as good for his development as a full season in league one/league two playing week in week out. Where if he has got it, he could get anywhere between 10-20 goals.

If we rate him highly then we do that and next season he can come back potentially ready to play.

Fair do’s. I agree, if we had decent options up top. Unfortunately, we don’t. So for now, I’d give him minutes to see what he can do. Dean Sturridge was in the same boat 29 years ago. Granted he was a bit older, but by chance we kept him, gave him a chance and he became a key man. 

1 hour ago, OoooMarkWright said:

Fair do’s. I agree, if we had decent options up top. Unfortunately, we don’t. So for now, I’d give him minutes to see what he can do. Dean Sturridge was in the same boat 29 years ago. Granted he was a bit older, but by chance we kept him, gave him a chance and he became a key man. 

I agree mate. If we don't bring a striker in then we cannot loan him out, probably why we haven't yet.

I am more than happy to get a loan striker in to cover the gap, so our player can go out and play proper games week in week out and improve.

Then next season he either comes back better and ready to go, or we may feel he needs another loan. 

I mean he could on loan to a league one club next season, stink the place out, not score a goal. Then there might not be as much noise about him starting here.

12 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I dont think he's worth "chucking in" but I do think it's worth playing him against Chesterfield to see how fares against good L2 opposition.  

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I just don't see the obsession with sending Brown out on loan. The lad's about to turn 19 and has a man's physique. That's surely the prime age for a striker with pace, power and an eye for goal to burst onto the scene. Why on earth can't we give him a chance to make his mark with us? We need to give him game time before the end of the month to properly be able to make that call.

I think the obsession comment is a bit silly to be honest. Folk are simply offering an opinion that differs to your own. For the little it's worth, I agree with them. If our stance is obsessive, what is yours?

Perhaps rather than posting the same complaint multiple times every day across multiple threads, you could at least wait until the window is closed and we know whether or not he is part of Warne's plans before starting another 'Sibley wah-wah' type campaign and digging out folk who don't share your confidence in an unproven and untested 18 year old. Folk aren't even saying he isn't good enough, only that some patience may yield dividends. If he is sent out so that he can be starting games every week, I fail to see how that hinders his progress and objectively, it provides a far better opportunity for all concerned to more accurately assess his progress than 5 - 10 minute cameos here and there for the senior 11.

FWIW, my hunch is, assuming he's showing anything at all in training, that he will get a start against Chesterfield and I can assure you that it's not just you who would dearly love to see him really step up and put down a marker. It wouldn't surprise me if he did and in doing so gave Warne significant selection headache, of the desirable kind. Surely waiting one more day to find out is not too much to ask?  

On a more general note, this is a Wiredu transfer thread. 

14 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I dont think he's worth "chucking in" but I do think it's worth playing him against Chesterfield to see how fares against good L2 opposition.  

I agree mate. I would start him tomorrow.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree mate. If we don't bring a striker in then we cannot loan him out, probably why we haven't yet.

I am more than happy to get a loan striker in to cover the gap, so our player can go out and play proper games week in week out and improve.

Then next season he either comes back better and ready to go, or we may feel he needs another loan. 

I mean he could on loan to a league one club next season, stink the place out, not score a goal. Then there might not be as much noise about him starting here.

If we sign another forward on loan, we then need to sign 3 CFs next summer again - Collins and Washington out of contract, Yates and other return to their own clubs. That's assuming Warne will then use DBrown in the first team. Otherwise it'll be 4 CFs we'll need to sign.

15 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Not everyone is ready at 19. Just ask Harry Kane.

But at 19 Harry Kane was playing in the Championship with Norwich, not lg1 or lg2.