v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

I’ve just watched the highlights to see if that was as bad or better than I thought at the time. It was worse.

I know I shouldn’t panic - last season taught me that…..

But compared to Blackburn we looked like a team lacking in quality, cohesion, a source of goals (other than set pieces) and game time.

So panicking no but concerned ? Definitely.

2 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

I must admit that in my very simplistic view I actually quite enjoyed the game last night.

Yes, they were given far too much space at times in particular down the flanks, we made some sloppy mistakes and seemed to tire, but... the ball was on the floor for a lot of the game, we put passes and moves together and it looked more like football than a lot of last season.

I think with some more signings, time on the training ground and match practice with adjustment to the league, we should be fine🤞.

Agree on the type of football played, was in no way hoofball.

Think we just missed a presence up front to hold the ball up and get the team further up the field.

defensively was worrrying, showed we are at a higher level and mistakes will be punished. Let’s see how we follow it up Saturday at home.

2 minutes ago, Justa said:

I’ve just watched the highlights to see if that was as bad or better than I thought at the time. It was worse.

I know I shouldn’t panic - last season taught me that…..

But compared to Blackburn we looked like a team lacking in quality, cohesion, a source of goals (other than set pieces) and game time.

So panicking no but concerned ? Definitely.

Not a great first half but we were the better side when we scored and I thought we would go on and win. Their subs made a big difference and maybe we were a bit too late to react. We did look a bit open at the back but there were some positive signs. Way too early for panic or doom and gloom. I remember losing to Oldham at home first game of our promotion season under Arthur 😉

9 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Good post. What surprised me was how slow we were at tracking back. I thought we were supposed to be super fit?

There was enough to encourage me if

a) we sort the defence out and get JWZ in

b) we add a quicker defender, a footballing midfielder and two strikers

Ozoh, for me, has to sit in front of the back four, allowing Goudmijn and two others to form a three behind two forwards, Yates and a newbie. 

Last night showed we need more pace in midfield as we looked slow in transition.

agree with this the big difference in the 2 teams was the speed of transition, they were 2 -3 incisive touches and away, we were not that.

It was a poor performance and I don't think that too many will disagree. Are there mitigating factors at play? I'd say there probably are, but that won't appease some on here and unless Warne gets the team playing in a more coordinated fashion, that's probably fair enough.

This season was always going to be the acid test of PW's credentials as a Championship team manager, but I won't be writing off his chances on the basis of one game. Let's see how we look once the window shuts and the lads have had a chance to familiarise themselves with one another. That seems a fairer way to assess things. For the little it's worth, I do think there were some positives to be derived, despite the result and I remain hopeful that we'll see improvement given time. 

Another positive, the atmosphere last night was great, some of our singing seemed exceptionally loud at times! Celebrating the first goal was brilliant, maybe because scoring the first goal on our return to the championship seemed special? And it was good to see the majority of the crowd stay to the end to applaud the players, they are going to need us.

3 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

You actually know Paul Warne on a personal level 

He doesn't like what he's seen and heard from him in written or verbal form

You've never met @Millenniumrambut I sense you've made certain judgements on his personality based on his posts on here, without even seeing him 'in action' so to speak.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

You've never met @Millenniumram but I sense you've made certain judgements on his personality based on his posts on here.

No he said he doesn’t like him as a person how the hell can you say that when you don’t even know someone 

Edited by Mick Brolly

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

You've never met @Millenniumram but I sense you've made certain judgements on his personality based on his posts on here.

I like this post. I am not sure why it is important on a football forum that we should all love our Manager. Or why posters would want to harangue someone for not being 100% supportive of the Manager. It’s perfectly reasonable in my view to think and say what you want within the bounds of the T & Cs we are asked to abide to. If you don’t like those views, tell them, and put them on ignore. 

First game of the season, Cashin 2 mistakes just after we scored and we was on top, no need to panic, thought we played better than we did against Oxford on the first game of the season last season, get a few more in, we should be ok, for me it's all about our home form, so on saturday lets all get PP rock  from the first whistle to the last and drive the team onto 3 points. Once A Ram Always A Ram.