v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

We were poor last night, but we were poor last season up to the Fleetwood home game.

It has been a lacklustre pre season. Chesterfield will have their tails up on Tuesday, and Mboro are a decent outfit on Sat, so the treadmill is on full already.

Warne is going to have to get lucky in the  transfer Window. i do not think that last season's squad is coachable into a decent Champ outfit.

Great travelling support as usual.

6 minutes ago, popside72 said:

We were poor last night, but we were poor last season up to the Fleetwood home game.

It has been a lacklustre pre season. Chesterfield will have their tails up on Tuesday, and Mboro are a decent outfit on Sat, so the treadmill is on full already.

Warne is going to have to get lucky in the  transfer Window. i do not think that last season's squad is coachable into a decent Champ outfit.

Great travelling support as usual.

That really came across on TV. Congratulations to all who attended 

9 hours ago, Guest said:

So the problem with yourself is that it is never clear if you are sincere or taking the xxxx

It ends up that you actually have no credibility or character , a kind of fictional nobody who patrols a very small and finite land, sending barbs and bombs in equal measure but who never has the confidence in themselves to actually make an opinion on anything

This is so close to what my head teacher wrote when I left secondary school. Spooky.

I find it genuinely humorous that I am being critiqued by a fictional nobody.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I thought we looked a bit like a rabbit in the headlights until they scored.  Then we started to get involved.  We played well the 1st 20mins of the 2nd half and deservedly equalised.  Play like that and we’ll be fine.  Then it all went a bit pear shaped.

Very good summary. I can only hope this provides some 'shock therapy' at least until reinforcements arrive. We need to able to find high 40s points somehow to be safe...

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

This is so close to what my head teacher wrote when I left secondary school. Spooky.

I find it genuinely humorous that I am being critiqued by a fictional nobody.

A "fictional nobody" Hhmmm, A wizard would suffice, He's TerryH in some posts and a Guest in others...now that's Wizardry 🤷‍♂️

I'm oddly not too downhearted after that game. We looked nervous the first 20 but grew into the game. We then conceded a stupid goal but took it on the chin and for a good 40 minutes looked like the better outfit. We get the equaliser and then our positional play goes out the window. Not sure if they were overexcited and wanted to press to find the winner but we made it too easy for them to get the second and the third. 

Thought our midfield looked tidy on the ball even if at times it took them too long to find the right pass. Ozoh looks like a beast and really liked his performance but he should be playing alongside Adams acting as an additional shield. Defensively we need a few extra bodies and another one in the forward areas but there is time to fix that. Overall, i think if we play that game in September with a bit more nouse about us we win it. That's why I'm optimistic! 

Thought the game showed the gulf between the divisions.  Blackburn were way better than anyone in last year's League 1.  I suspect they won't be in the relegation fight if they can play like that consistently.  We need to step up rapidly, but I don't think that game was a season write-off.

My assessment not that it’s worth anything…

We know we need new keeper, full back , centre back , winger and striker…

Those on the fringes or who struggled last season such as Vickers , Elder , Barks , Fornah sadly won’t be good enough in a weak squad , although I thought Barks did ok - I like them all but it’s just the reality 

We got sliced apart a number of times last season , ala Lincoln , Shrews , but thankfully L1 teams can’t finish , this year you get punished. 

We need to learn to make tactical fouls higher up the pitch to stop goals on the break , this was a problem last season , so will be even more now…

We probably need to play 5 or 6 at the back away from home to scrape some points on the board…

We need to refind home form we have had in the past otherwise we are in doodoo 

On a positive we won the singing match 37-1 . Blackburn fans are a disgrace, empty seats everywhere and you could just about hear them at 4-1 

Well done Rams fans, showing the world that 99.9% of football fans are normal people who don’t have a problem with anyone despite what some people label and scaremonger us as…

We looked a shambles in our preseason matches but last night, during the second half, we began to look like a decent side. The problem we have is we need to be able to take our chances and we did create a few last night. We need someone to stick the ball in the net and a little bit more mobility in our back four.

Last nights defeat is not the end of the world, it just feels like it 😃

I’m also not too disheartened by that performance. Up until the 72nd minute we were still in it, and the likelier team to score. Of course it’s a former player of ours to score against us too 😂

I think what it did show some of our players is the difference between league one and the champ. Simply can’t get away with some of the things we got away with last season. 

We are also absolutely crying out for a striker. CBT would have suited that system yesterday and it’s a shame he couldn’t get on the pitch.

Going to be a long season, but I think fans need to realise we aren’t going to win more than we lose! We’re definitely going to lose more than we win. 

6 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

So pre-season actually was a good indicator of where we are after all, conceding another 4 goals. You have to be ready for game 1, not knowingly go into the first half dozen games undercooked. Cashin never going to be good enough at this level, nor Bradley, nor Tommo, Fornah, Barks.. I’d be tempted to,play Nelson and Nyambe at centre half with Fozz at LB, but 5 at the back is not the right answer. We need a keeper, left back, centre half, winger, striker rapidly. Waiting until end Sept not good enough.

Yes there will be a transition period as we get used to the pace and quality at a higher level. But there are too many big holes in the squad, tough to fill over one summer. Get the impression the coaching needs to be more classroom and ball, less cone and resistance band. We need to be more progressive and more comfortable when pressed in possession. No sign of coached development there, with all the emphasis apparently on miles in legs.

With season ticket sales, we can’t be far off the budgets of other clubs. Not clear why we can’t get the right players. We have all that lovely new Sky money, but as stated before that has already been bid out with players and agents wising up to the new money and asking for more. Same supply, additional demand, higher prices. Simple economics. Clowes needs to decide if he is prepared to compete at this level, whether he can afford it, whether Bhobats computer is just another complicating factor in recruitment (especially if it is always saying NO), or does he seek additional investment ? We’re all grateful for what he did, but time stands still for no man. 

For me the academy doesn’t deliver. Bhobat could look at the kids in the academy, whack their stats into his computer, and it will tell him that very few have the physical attributes to be top players. Without new investment, and with PSR constraints (which I don’t believe are the real constraints at the moment), the only way forward is either the academy delivering a stream of Champ ready players, or taking a risk on transfer fees for younger players who could be sold on at a profit.

Lots of thinking to be done, and risks to be taken. If you don’t have risk, youre not in business.

You make a lot of good points Fred. Not sure I agree with them all, but again, last night, the bit I have put in bold was the most apparent weakness in our set-up. Even with a few better players, I don’t think Warne and Barker are good enough technically or tactically to push us on this season. Their strengths though might just keep us in this league come seasons end. For many that will be enough, and in truth whilst I gain little enjoyment from paying for and watching Warneball, staying up and consolidating our position in the Championship this season is the most important thing.

Defensively we were all over the shop last night, got to be down to opening night nerves. We gave up space, let runners go, charged out leaving gaping holes behind us. Just a bad night at the office.

We looked a decent outfit for a good part of the game but were massacred on the transition. 3 man midfield was tidy, Kenzo looks like a player but fatigued early and drifted out of the game. If we’re only going to play 1 holder then nothing can get past Ozoh, travis moves past him for the opener like he isn’t there. Elder I thought had his most competent performance for us, Wilson is not a rb but not sure he’s good enough to play further forward either in this league. Cashin looks so out of kilter it’s unreal, looked far too amped up pre match and that showed in his performance.

At 1-1 they brought on 3 forwards 1 of whom was the leading scorer in the champ last season and we’d just brought on 34 year old James Collins. It is going to be a tough season there’s no doubt about that, 3 weeks to bulk the squad up, prepare for a relegation battle as it’s on its way but we can be better than 3 other teams.

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You make a lot of good points Fred. Not sure I agree with them all, but again, last night, the bit I have put in bold was the most apparent weakness in our set-up. Even with a few better players, I don’t think Warne and Barker are good enough technically or tactically to push us on this season. Their strengths though might just keep us in this league come seasons end. For many that will be enough, and in truth whilst I gain little enjoyment from paying for and watching Warneball, staying up and consolidating our position in the Championship this season is the most important thing.

This. Agree with every word.

7 hours ago, Gladys_was_the_Greatest said:

Not a great start, but not really all that surprising. We are a new team and not the finished article. We all knew, in our hearts , this was going to be a tough division to come back to. Please let’s wait until the end of October before we get the knives out. Give it 10-12 games before we start the dog hanging. Last season was a great achievement but on this forum it was so toxic with people being really unpleasant. This is crazy, we all support the same club, have the same desire to see the Rams succeed. Hopefully by the end of the window we will have some extra experience, fire power and a goal keeper. If it’s not working after ten or twelve games then I imagine Mr Clowes will call time. I think a lot of wise heads knew we were going to lose tonight, we just are not ready yet. Hopefully we will be soon. Keep the faith etc. 

I like this but the 10 - 12 games thing is a red herring.  What Clowes is going to want to know is what plans PW would have to fix things.  You only would sack a manager in the season if there is an issue and you do not have a plan to overcome it (that appears reasonable).