Paris Olympics

1of4

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

You're mostly right - but there were judges. Acted more like referees, mind, to make sure the 'rules' were being followed.

Ah, judges, smudges.😁

As you say , they were really referees rather than judges determining the winner based on their “judgement” as to who they thought was the best.

54 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Finding it really hard to stomach the whole French thing.

Such a bunch of mardy bums if things dont go their way…

They actually booed Pidock when he came back from a puncture to beat their rider right at the end. 
Booing at the Olympics!!! Really!!! 

Surely it makes the win even better when you know you've upset the French too?

2 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

They actually booed Pidock when he came back from a puncture to beat their rider right at the end. 

They were jeering the opposition team in the Rugby 7s whenever they had the ball. Utter peasants. 

Pidcock's performance was astonishing and any true sports fan would have applauded him to the rafters.

2 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Retaliate.

Stop buying their letters.

On 28/07/2024 at 16:16, FindernRam said:

I agree! ANY sport that needs a judge (distinct from referee) or an animal should be dropped.

That gets rid of Boxing, Gymnastics, Surfing, Equestrian, Diving, Ski Jumping, Skateboarding, freestyle skiing, ice dancing. I'm sure there will be others but you get my drift!

I'd drop football and tennis as they have loads of top class competitions anyway.

One advantage is you can hold the opening ceremony in a stadium for a few bob and not take up 4 hours I'll never get back.

Diving and gymnastics are incredibly difficult - as my son's diving coach used to say "if it was easy it would be called football"

8 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Blimey the judges in the boxing tonight. That is truly woeful. Im gonsmacked. The poor lad. He won that by a distance Id say. 

That's, what, three scandalous decisions against British boxers? Any other countries boxers similarly robbed? Those judges in Orie's fight need banning. Sadly, I can see Britain refusing to enter a team in the future.

40 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That's, what, three scandalous decisions against British boxers? Any other countries boxers similarly robbed? Those judges in Orie's fight need banning. Sadly, I can see Britain refusing to enter a team in the future.

It's not a case of not entering a team in the future. We need to be kicking down the door of the Olympic committee and raising the biggest stink possible now. It may not alter the outcome of the decisions. But it may stop other poor decisions happening to other UK competitors as the Olympics proceed.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

It's not a case of not entering a team in the future. We need to be kicking down the door of the Olympic committee and raising the biggest stink possible now. It may not alter the outcome of the decisions. But it may stop other poor decisions happening to other UK competitors as the Olympics proceed.

I'd love to think that would work, but I think they take complaints from Britain very badly.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I'd love to think that would work, but I think they take complaints from Britain very badly.

Also the unbelievable decision yesterday in the cross country equestrian event.

l’d like to think that it was to ensure a full house for today’s  jumping session, but suspect that it was a deliberate attempt to favour the home nation’s chance of taking the overall team award.

37 minutes ago, Srg said:

Previous few posts adding credence to anything needing a judge not being a real sport. 

TBF, only the boxing appears to suffer from these absolute howlers. The issue that @Dordogne-Ram is referring to is the equestrian version of VAR - the scoring system itself (other than in Dressage) is pretty straightforward.

9 minutes ago, Crewton said:

TBF, only the boxing appears to suffer from these absolute howlers. The issue that @Dordogne-Ram is referring to is the equestrian version of VAR - the scoring system itself (other than in Dressage) is pretty straightforward.

That’s just not a sport anyway, it’s prancing about on horses. Even the “athletes”, who can be way too old to be an athlete anyway, give all credit to the horse when they win. 

We could do football with judges. Like decide who wins based on who looks like they’ve played better or tried a more difficult brand of football. Maybe we could do it on xG. 

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

Previous few posts adding credence to anything needing a judge not being a real sport. 

I always understood the difference between a sport and a game is that you can play a game whilst holding a pint 

21 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I always understood the difference between a sport and a game is that you can play a game whilst holding a pint 

See that’s another debate. Are those type of games sport? By my metric, yes. There’s no judges involved. 

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

That’s just not a sport anyway, it’s prancing about on horses. Even the “athletes”, who can be way too old to be an athlete anyway, give all credit to the horse when they win. 

We could do football with judges. Like decide who wins based on who looks like they’ve played better or tried a more difficult brand of football. Maybe we could do it on xG. 

Isn't that what VAR is? 😅

Equestrian sports were included in the ancient Greek Olympics, so you may have a hard job arguing that they don't belong in the modern version. It's not a sport that I'd normally take notice of, but you only have to look at the injuries that Laura Cotter suffered to appreciate that it's more dangerous than most.

The Olympics has quite a few categories that I'd like to see the back of, not least the ones that they've shoehorned in for popularity reasons - Golf, Tennis, Football, Break Dancing etc, and, yes, many of the "sports" that are actually just dancing done badly.

Edited by Crewton

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

See that’s another debate. Are those type of games sport? By my metric, yes. There’s no judges involved. 

But surely that would rule out track events as they have judges for the starting blocks and finish line. Admittedly there are cameras but judges judge them