Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Whilst I posted this morning saying there should be a cut off point for this deal, it may well be that the club are content for that to be deadline day if their analysis and scouting suggest he is the right option.

“Mismanagement and negligence” smacks of being keen to pour blame on Warne and seems to ignore the lengthy narrative we’ve had all summer around keeper targets. All the previous noise suggests we were in for the former Ipswich keeper before he signed for Burnley who are cash rich with premiership parachute money and objectively a better prospect than we are currently. We were also linked to Rodak, who has signed for a club in Saudi, I suspect for mega money compared to what we can offer, his prerogative. We were also linked to Iversen from Leicester with a couple of people of posters on here suggesting it was all but done until Leicester asked for more money or a larger wage contribution. Warne also commented earlier this summer that we looked to have a deal tied up for a player then things changed, which could be any one of the 3 mentioned. Pursuing various targets and proactively moving onto others when the situation changes is the very opposite of negligence in my view. Warne and the club have actively looked to strengthen the position and continue to do so. 

This transfer is a little different to others, but it’s not going to ruin things if we have to wait a week or two more for the confirmation. Provided we sign a keeper before the deadline we’ll be fine. 

Just for the record I’m a Warne IN supporter. 

do you not feel 11 months is an acceptable amount of time to draw up a list of targets, make contact and sign a keeper? 

Im not laying the blaming on Warne as all his moves will be dictated by the club and its purse strings. If preseason is any thing to go by we are in for a poor season. So arguing over 500k here or there for a decent keeper isn’t worth it. 

As a supporter Warnes narrative means nothing he will only tell you what he wants you to believe. 

I hope you’re right and Blackburn don’t pump us 3-0 next week and we don’t go down by a point a thanks to Blackburn.

My point is that a number 1 is the most important position on the field and should have been dealt with weeks ago. 

Edited by Cookie

5 minutes ago, Cookie said:

do you not feel 11 months is an acceptable amount of time to draw up a list of targets, make contact and sign a keeper? 

Im not laying the blaming on Warne as all his moves will be dictated by the club and its purse strings. If preseason is any thing to go by we are in for a poor season. So arguing over 500k here or there for a decent keeper isn’t worth it. 

As a supporter Warnes narrative means nothing he will only tell you what he wants you to believe. 

I hope you’re right and Blackburn don’t pump us 3-0 next week and we don’t go down by a point a thanks to Blackburn.

My point is that a number 1 is the most important position on the field and should have been dealt with weeks ago. 

How has it been 11 months? 

We offered a new deal to Wildsmith in Jan which he turned down.

We would have had a list of keepers, but you can't start talking to them until the season has finished and then things can change.

Iversen for example. Gets promoted and gets a pay rise. So the deal changes.

Rodak in the Euros. Holding out for more money.

Zetterstrom with his club.

You have your targets and you can't do anything until the clubs are willing to do a deal and if it's a free  agent they are very likely to hang on and wait to get the best deal.

19 minutes ago, Cookie said:

You quite literally used the words mismanagement and negligence, so to clarify if it’s not aimed at Warne it’s aimed at the club in general? 

My point is we seemingly did draw up a list, and pursued them, and the situation changed and we moved onto other targets. Your choice of language around this situation strikes me as alarmist and exaggerated. 

I agree it’s an important position, have said as much a few times over the last few weeks. It appears to have been “dealt with”, pending the confirmation, in a way the club feels is acceptable, regardless of any of our bellyaching. Whatever the result to Blackburn it won’t determine the final outcome of the season either way, provided we sign a first choice keeper by the end of the transfer window there’ll be plenty of opportunities for him to help us achieve our goals this season. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Alas I've lost abit of rationality and I'm increasingly convinced he wont sign ultimately. My brain has drawn a similarity to buying a house and not being able to finalise it until the sellers have a new house to move into, and then last minute we get gazumped by some randoms who offer 10% more upfront.

If we give a time limit I'm sure they will go fine, we'll keep him and sell for more later. Are they under any pressure to sell? Either by club finances or the player? I dont know but I'm starting to think not. Its unusual for the buying club to have so little "power" as we can be percieved as having in this process. I think it's that which is making a few of us go a bit wonky and lose some faith (me included).

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We would have had a list of keepers, but you can't start talking to them until the season has finished and then things can change.

You have your targets and you can't do anything until the clubs are willing to do a deal and if it's a free  agent they are very likely to hang on and wait to get the best deal.

If I’m honest I keep up to date with what’s going on with Derby via this site. I’d say 90% of what I know comes from here. I’m sure I read on here he rejected a contract last September and in the end Warne dropped him for that reason. Tbh I don’t care if it was last September or January, they knew he was leaving and have had ample time to address the situation. 

are you really that nieve to believe agents don’t constantly tout there clients to everyone 12 months of the year 24/7. Trying to get them better deals. Unofficially it happens all the time. Derby would have know the price and wage demands for Iversen long before they attempted to sign him. 

The fact of the matter is Derby under Clowes won’t over pay for any player and on past experience is a good thing. However that is why we are so short with season starting in 6 days.  

I struggle to believe Wildsmith left the club for any other reason than financial gain. He valued himself higher than we’d pay him. It certainly wasn’t because he wanted to play second fiddle at West Brom. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You quite literally used the words mismanagement and negligence, so to clarify if it’s not aimed at Warne it’s aimed at the club in general? 

My point is we seemingly did draw up a list, and pursued them, and the situation changed and we moved onto other targets. Your choice of language around this situation strikes me as alarmist and exaggerated. 

I agree it’s an important position, have said as much a few times over the last few weeks. It appears to have been “dealt with”, pending the confirmation, in a way the club feels is acceptable, regardless of any of our bellyaching. Whatever the result to Blackburn it won’t determine the final outcome of the season either way, provided we sign a first choice keeper by the end of the transfer window there’ll be plenty of opportunities for him to help us achieve our goals this season. 

I’d say as a club that includes everyone. Top to the bottom.  A good number one will save you 10 points over a season if not more and this season that’ll likely be the difference between staying up and relegation. 

This position should have been dealt with straight away early June. Instead we’re now in the realms of a punt on the potential of a keeper no one on this forum had heard of until 2 weeks ago. Even then that isn’t a simple transaction. 

A strong keeper will make or break your season.  

1 minute ago, Cookie said:

I’d say as a club that includes everyone. Top to the bottom.  A good number one will save you 10 points over a season if not more and this season that’ll likely be the difference between staying up and relegation. 

This position should have been dealt with straight away early June. Instead we’re now in the realms of a punt on the potential of a keeper no one on this forum had heard of until 2 weeks ago. Even then that isn’t a simple transaction. 

Ok. You’re entitled to your opinion, I don’t share it. All the media noise (and alleged ITK posters on here) suggests we made moves earlier in the summer and situations changed. If you can’t or won’t accept that situations don’t follow an idealistic narrative and the club has made alternative moves that’s up to you.

I choose to believe the club has acted to strengthen the side and is still doing so until the transfer window ends, IF they don’t succeed MAYBE I’ll join you in having a bigger moan about something that’s yet to transpire. 

8 minutes ago, Cookie said:

In Clowes/Warne I trust 

So now the thread has turned to Warne has messed up the goalkeeping with a negligent attitude to the situation.

Wildsmith was offered a deal in January which he turned down.

Couple that with we had to change tack and get hold of a striker due to Collins getting injured which yet again Warne was slammed for but STILL achieved a promotion.

Where and who could we have signed in January that would not only replace wildsmith long term but not upset the balance of a team targeting promotion.

Iverson was embedded with Stoke

Rodak would not come to a league one side whilst trying to get involved in the euros 

Ryan was playing top flight Dutch football

Zetterstrom would never have dropped down to league one when he was playing for a team challenging for a European place.

So we get to this window and targets have been identified, bids accepted for a goalkeeper who is generating a lot of talking points as well as a not inconsiderable amount of excitement.

We have signed some really good championship level operators who have got promotion experience and some premier league experience too.

Dutch under 21 international 

And possibly a Swedish international goalkeeper who has literally been playing European football the past few weeks.

If we finish the season still in this league I'd be happy as we get more revenue and get to go to another summer window to improve .

If we knew we'd be in existence when the administrators and the Efl bumbled through the process of helping keep the club alive we would have been soooooo happy.

If we knew we would have gained an automatic promotion and signing the players we have as well as having million pound plus bids accepted for internationals we would have been ecstatic 

We can't make the lad sign or his club hand him over due to fans getting their underwear chaffing 

FFS give it a f..king rest fellas.

Opinions are one thing but this bitching over perceived Warne failures when we don't get what want and start having hissy fits is tedious as hell.

Imagine what we would be saying if it's Tranmere 5 Derby 1 and our new centre half played in that game.......let me think.....what happened after that..oh yeah.....Palace? Who the f..k are Palace 

Edited by AmberRamber

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

STOP TALKING COMMON SENSE MACKWORTH....YOU KNOW THIS SITE IS FOR WRIST SLASHING  🙄 

1 minute ago, r4derby said:

Did his team win last night then? I’d quite like to know what happened with the focus of this topic

Lost 1-0 and went down to ten men but through 3-1 on aggregate. Play Ilves of Finland next round

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ok. You’re entitled to your opinion, I don’t share it. All the media noise (and alleged ITK posters on here) suggests we made moves earlier in the summer and situations changed. If you can’t or won’t accept that situations don’t follow an idealistic narrative and the club has made alternative moves that’s up to you.

I choose to believe the club has acted to strengthen the side and is still doing so until the transfer window ends, IF they don’t succeed MAYBE I’ll join you in having a bigger moan about something that’s yet to transpire. 

This is exactly it….timing and circumstances can affect any transfer and surely we have to make sure we go for the right player, at the right time, and at the right place.  Even if that means the odd delay.

FWIW I ‘broke’ the Iversen info a while back, the source was literally as good as it gets.  He was 100% our top target, but I can only imagine the goalposts moved when Cooper took over (and we may or may not have known about the wage increase) and we moved onto the secondary targets who undoubtedly we’d have already identified.

There’s another 4 weeks of all this 😀