Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

The Brits are very arrogant in that they expect everyone else to speak perfect English. 

It's rare that you ever get any Englishman prepared to go to a European country and try to speak in their native tongue. 

Hats off, therefore, to Schteve McLaren.

I actually disagree with you slightly.  Almost every European country and many around the world choose English as their second language.  So by your comments,  we should be learning dozens of languages. As a nation I do agree, we generally choose either French or German and usually let it slide after exams.  But that is in part due to the fact everyone else speaks English. To say we are arrogant is a bit rich really.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

I actually disagree with you slightly.  Almost every European country and many around the world choose English as their second language.  So by your comments,  we should be learning dozens of languages. As a nation I do agree, we generally choose either French or German and usually let it slide after exams.  But that is in part due to the fact everyone else speaks English. To say we are arrogant is a bit rich really.

Hola. Puedo hablar espanol...saludos. Terry

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

It was more of a joke about Steve McLaren and his put-on Ditch accent. If you've never seen the video clip, seek it out.

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Off topic but I disagree. We are arrogant and lazy as we can't be bothered. Generally we don't start learning another language until we are 11 and then give it up at 16.

We benefit from English being the major language of business together with film, music and media being in English. 

I hate it though (and I am guilty) - my wife can speak French and German and when we go to those places, seeing her converse (Not fluently but simple conversation) I feel bad.

I can get by in French and Italian, but when I go there nowadays, they often reply to me in English! 😄 The under 40s in most of the EU can generally speak passable English but the emphasis in English schools, astonishingly, seems to have moved away from learning at least one compulsory language (apologies if I've got that wrong). It's definitely something I'd like to see change.

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I can get by in French and Italian, but when I go there nowadays, they often reply to me in English! 😄 The under 40s in most of the EU can generally speak passable English but the emphasis in English schools, astonishingly, seems to have moved away from learning at least one compulsory language (apologies if I've got that wrong). It's definitely something I'd like to see change.

Last time I was in France, went into a restaurant and before we could speak they spoke to us in English. I asked "how did you know we are English" and they just pointed at my mate's whiter than white legs

25 minutes ago, Smalley Ram said:

Last time I was in France, went into a restaurant and before we could speak they spoke to us in English. I asked "how did you know we are English" and they just pointed at my mate's whiter than white legs

That's the same problem I have 😅

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

It was more of a joke about Steve McLaren and his put-on Ditch accent. If you've never seen the video clip, seek it out.

I know it's silly, but I learned a bit of Dutch and it's MUCH easier to get the pronunciations right by putting on the fake Dutch accent. I made a mental note to apologise to Schteve if I ever met him 😅

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Silence is starting to become worrying now.

I hope this is still on.

We know he's due to play in the 2nd leg of their first Conference League qualifying tie on Thursday. I doubt there's any more to tell until after that?

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

We know he's due to play in the 2nd leg of their first Conference League qualifying tie on Thursday. I doubt there's any more to tell until after that?

I thought he was over yesterday for talks?

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Off topic but I disagree. We are arrogant and lazy as we can't be bothered. Generally we don't start learning another language until we are 11 and then give it up at 16.

We benefit from English being the major language of business together with film, music and media being in English. 

I hate it though (and I am guilty) - my wife can speak French and German and when we go to those places, seeing her converse (Not fluently but simple conversation) I feel bad.

It is much easier and almost compulsory for other nations to have English as a second language. Virtually everywhere in the world, as you pointed out, English is bombarded at you from every direction, it is only natural to pick up the English language because of this. Whereas in this country, the only time that you will hear another language broadcast is if you're having a lesson in that language.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

My great-nephew is learning Cantonese at secondary school. Makes sense, given possible future business links. 

He appears to be very good at it, but then it would sound Chinese to me! 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Yes, provided he does not suffer injury in that game he will join us immediately after.