Mendez Laing Arrested

6 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Hope it isn’t true, the fact she’s locally and commonly known around magaluf would mean she’s probably not the best of humans but also don’t know why Nats in magaluf at the age of 32

He was with his wife. This post from Spanish press says his wife was also arrested. Maybe defending her? Who knows. There’s more to this. 

The fact that both the Scum and the Mail have padded out three quarters of the article with stuff about his cocaine bans tells you about all you need to know about their journalistic standards. Not relevant in the least to this story, but put in there to push the "disgraced footballer" angle that sells papers

Reading between the lines, I'd say his wife has kicked off at this woman for getting in his face, then when she wouldn't stop snatched the phone - the woman has then started to attack his wife and he's waded in to break it up. Not exemplary behaviour but I can't imagine there are many of us who would stand by and watch our wife being attacked, saying "well I would help her but I don't want to look bad in the papers"

25 minutes ago, Crewton said:

For those who can't bear to click on a link to the Sun, this is the jist of the report:-

"Majorcan newspaper Ultima Hora is reporting that Mendez-Laing allegedly punched the woman in the face before taking her phone.

His wife is accused of pulling the unnamed woman’s hair and was also arrested after police were given the mobile's geolocator by the "assault victim" and went to their holiday accommodation.

The couple were released pending an ongoing criminal investigation after paying €300 bail according to Ultima Hora.

The mystery woman at the centre of the bizarre incident, described locally as a Brit, is said to have annoyed the footballer and his wife by taking pictures and video of them without their consent inside the unnamed nightspot."

My guess would be any conviction would depend on whether the assault allegation can be independently verified by witnesses. The phone theft seems pretty much verified in the report.

I'm interested in what she was photographing that angered them so much. Could have it been incriminating so that it caused them to try to apprehend her. 

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The fact that both the Scum and the Mail have padded out three quarters of the article with stuff about his cocaine bans tells you about all you need to know about their journalistic standards. Not relevant in the least to this story, but put in there to push the "disgraced footballer" angle that sells papers

Reading between the lines, I'd say his wife has kicked off at this woman for getting in his face, then when she wouldn't stop snatched the phone - the woman has then started to attack his wife and he's waded in to break it up. Not exemplary behaviour but I can't imagine there are many of us who would stand by and watch our wife being attacked, saying "well I would help her but I don't want to look bad in the papers"

This was precisely how I read it too.

Going to assume nothing either way here and not speculate, and suggest folks adopts similar for the sake of this site. We have no context or background and know nothing. Let them get coverage and witness statements and whatever and see what's what.

Obviously it goes without saying that if true then it is deeply concerning. Equally, just someone saying something is true doesn't make it so, particularly where famous people, messy tabloid headlines and a potential fast buck are concerned.

A shame to see this sort of headline pop up, NML really seems to have matured in the last few seasons so you'd hope he was past this sort of thing.

Let's see what information follows this. Hopefully it's some typical tabloid sensationalism but it's not like NML hasn't got form for poor behavior either in his career.

10 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

I'm interested in what she was photographing that angered them so much. Could have it been incriminating so that it caused them to try to apprehend her. 

Hmmm

The wife instantly assumed she had photographic evidence that discredits.........

The song! And proves the fact he does actually have a neck and a regular Wang!

1 hour ago, Srg said:

The Spanish Police do have zero tolerance to violence against women...

Except when they are beating their own wives

Perhaps this was a mild scuffle after she took a photo of him uninvited then refused to delete it. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

Except when they are beating their own wives

Perhaps this was a mild scuffle after she took a photo of him uninvited then refused to delete it. 

Don't know what you've done here, but I didn't say that. A different poster did.

40 minutes ago, admira said:

Former England U-16? ffs, don't they know he's a fully-fledged Guatemalen international!

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Don't know what you've done here, but I didn't say that. A different poster did.

Oh. Sorry if i put words in your mouth. If you look above I think you’ll see what I ‘retweeted’ - can’t explain it if you were not the author but I do apologise

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A shame to see this sort of headline pop up, NML really seems to have matured in the last few seasons so you'd hope he was past this sort of thing.

Let's see what information follows this. Hopefully it's some typical tabloid sensationalism but it's not like NML hasn't got form for poor behavior either in his career.

By all accounts, he was with his wife... without knowing any of the details, I'd assume that this is different to the typical reason for a footballer to steal a woman's phone on a night out.

I still can't square that NML took his wife on holiday to Magaluf 

oh hang on - plot twist from the official club statement

It’s understood that the 32-year old has been charged with the alleged theft of a phone in Magaluf.

No mention of assault - yet both tabloid scum papers are pushing the "punched a woman in the face angle"

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Interesting that they're only saying he's been charged with theft of the phone and not assault

My main takeaway from this is that someone actually recognised one of our players in a non football setting. We're big time!

I agree that there's little point speculating on this. We don't really know any details on the incident, so it isn't really fair to Mendez Laing. Having said that, it's also not fair to make some pretty wild speculations regarding what the woman he allegedly punched was doing or what her motives were.