Kenzo Goudmijn

On 01/07/2024 at 09:29, Millenniumram said:

Yes, though slightly less so as it’s more historical. Hopefully we get the players Blackpool fans saw, rather than the one Swansea fans did!

Historical.  You do know he was at Blackpool for 3 years and only left last year?  You’d rather take the view of those of watched him for 1 year than those who’ve watched him for the previous 3?

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

It says...

Excelsior has the first field training of the new season tomorrow. Technical manager Niels van Duinen says in the Excelsior Podcast that twelve players are starting their preparation. Couhaib Driouech is one of them. Kenzo Goudmijn very probably not.

The midfielder was on loan from AZ until mid-2025. 'Kenzo would like a transfer based on the outcome of last season. I don't expect him on the training field, because he is in the final phase of a transfer," said Van Duinen

No mention of Derby I can see, or any other club, FWIW.

12 hours ago, DE56Ram said:

Dan_Ram posted this video on Friday Kenzo is a real live wire!

Right, sold. Book the ferry. I was thinking he looked comfortable in a variety of areas of the pitch, showed an eye for a shot, good technique, some athleticism... then he made a mockery of that defender at 1:06 and I was pitching a tent. Get him in.

Edited by Srg

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm not sure @strawhillramwas serious. I'd say Warne is very old school in terms of it being about man management and about very simple messages, like telling Didzy not to come short but to stay around the box, and telling our midfielders to get it out wide straight away and the wide players to ping early crosses in. A pragmatist indeed, one element of which I like is not wanting to fanny about unnecessarily with the ball in defence, but to be happy to ping it forward.

Where is the ceiling (if any) for this approach when nearly everyone else is trying to emulate Pep, is an intriguing question. 

Warne's very progressive in many areas. For example, he's hugely into the NFL and has borrowed a lot of things they do off the field. he is into his psychology and I'd think Warne would have played a huge part in the recent cricket guys coming in.

I know, we're talking on the pitch more than off it with all this, but I don't think he's the footballing dinosaur that some would have you believe. I think he's adaptable and willing to change to whatever will get an advantage.

As far as emulating Pep goes, there's seemingly a minor movement at the moment away from that. His rigidity in passing football is stifling. This Euros has showed fewer teams trying to emulate that slow passing game than the last few international tournaments. Breath of fresh air actually... Pep football is boring and only worth the highlights. We saw Southampton have great success playing in that style last year, but their squad was so clearly ahead with quality, it was always going to. For the majority, it won't work to that level.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Where is the ceiling (if any) for this approach when nearly everyone else is trying to emulate Pep, is an intriguing question. 

Talking to my QPR mate, he said a lot of team are trying to do that, but aren't very good at it. A lot of Prem teams are similar too, like Kompany letting Burnley get relegated so he could land a job for his "philosophy" alone.

I think a pragmatic approach to teams trying to play in this way could be pretty successful. 

Perhaps West Ham are the ceiling of this, so I'll take a European trophy. If that were somehow to happen, they would be plenty of the same people moaning we were not playing "good football" ie not doing nutmegs and backheels in our own box to try and get a counter attack.

17 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Talking to my QPR mate, he said a lot of team are trying to do that, but aren't very good at it. A lot of Prem teams are similar too, like Kompany letting Burnley get relegated so he could land a job for his "philosophy" alone.

I think a pragmatic approach to teams trying to play in this way could be pretty successful. 

Perhaps West Ham are the ceiling of this, so I'll take a European trophy. If that were somehow to happen, they would be plenty of the same people moaning we were not playing "good football" ie not doing nutmegs and backheels in our own box to try and get a counter attack.

I think you need to get the balance right between playing the passing game at the back and getting the ball forward quickly, i thought Rosenior over did it with us trying to play the Pep way with players that weren’t good enough to play that way. Here’s hoping Warne gets the balance right this season.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I think you need to get the balance right between playing the passing game at the back and getting the ball forward quickly, i thought Rosenior over did it with us trying to play the Pep way with players that weren’t good enough to play that way. Here’s hoping Warne gets the balance right this season.

The graph below compares directness and passes per sequence for the Championship last season. I've added Derby (the blue D) and the PL 'big 6' (in red). Man City being off the chart in the bottom right (very slow with lots of passing)

Comparing us to PL clubs, we're probably closest to Everton and Bournemouth, with Luton being a bit slower, whilst Brentford/West Ham/Forest pass it a little bit more.

I imagine Warne's intention is to be similar to Klopp's Liverpool. In this case, it means being just as quick at getting the ball forward, and over time improving on the technicality of our squad so we can achieve it with more passes. Realistically, we'd be looking at getting closer to Ipswich/Coventry in the Championship.

image.thumb.png.c144bf3743e8cb46a0698183497a2d9b.png

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The graph below compares directness and passes per sequence for the Championship last season. I've added Derby (the blue D) and the PL 'big 6' (in red). Man City being off the chart in the bottom right (very slow with lots of passing)

Comparing us to PL clubs, we're probably closest to Everton and Bournemouth, with Luton being a bit slower, whilst Brentford/West Ham/Forest pass it a little bit more.

I imagine Warne's intention is to be similar to Klopp's Liverpool. In this case, it means being just as quick at getting the ball forward, and over time improving on the technicality of our squad so we can achieve it with more passes. Realistically, we'd be looking at getting closer to Ipswich/Coventry in the Championship.

image.thumb.png.c144bf3743e8cb46a0698183497a2d9b.png

I hope your right GoC 🙏

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Warne's very progressive in many areas. For example, he's hugely into the NFL and has borrowed a lot of things they do off the field. he is into his psychology and I'd think Warne would have played a huge part in the recent cricket guys coming in.

I know, we're talking on the pitch more than off it with all this, but I don't think he's the footballing dinosaur that some would have you believe. I think he's adaptable and willing to change to whatever will get an advantage.

As far as emulating Pep goes, there's seemingly a minor movement at the moment away from that. His rigidity in passing football is stifling. This Euros has showed fewer teams trying to emulate that slow passing game than the last few international tournaments. Breath of fresh air actually... Pep football is boring and only worth the highlights. We saw Southampton have great success playing in that style last year, but their squad was so clearly ahead with quality, it was always going to. For the majority, it won't work to that level.

I agree with all of the above. 

Warne is tactically one of the smartest managers we have had in my lifetime. I don't think he's much of a 'coach' in the traditional sense, but I do feel that he knows how to manage a group and produce an efficient/impactful side. 

Do I want to see Derby play with more control, of course. However, I'm smart enough to know why Warne likes to move the ball forward as quickly as possible and not allow the opposition to settle in a defensive scheme before we have an attack. At times, I do agree it can look disjointed, wasteful and not easy on the eye but the logic behind what he does is absolutely solid and there is also a lot to be said on how he conducts a group of players. 

I think the frustration with Warne was because we were playing in League One, in the Championship I think the same fans who were frustrated with him at times last season (me included) will be thankful for a hard-working tactician who can hold/lead a group in the Championship. 

37 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Good chance we’re the club that’s won with how secretive the deal is. We’ve done very well at keeping deals quiet over the last 2 years. But it could be anyone let’s just hope it us. 

Thought we’d of heard something this end if he was actually close like his coach suggest, reckon he’ll end up somewhere else 

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Good chance we’re the club that’s won with how secretive the deal is. We’ve done very well at keeping deals quiet over the last 2 years. But it could be anyone let’s just hope it us. 

Most of our deals come out in the press a couple of days before they are confirmed.

3 hours ago, Topram said:

Thought we’d of heard something this end if he was actually close like his coach suggest, reckon he’ll end up somewhere else 

Jackson only officially came out in media 1 or 2 days before announcement but confirmed he had been in talks all summer. Only reason we knew was our resident ITK confirmed. 

Yates wasn’t even mentioned by our ITKs until late on. 

I believe almost all of the ITK get their info from internal media or people on the ground at Moor Farm so tend to get the news when a player is shown around the training ground. Unlikely this lad has been shown around yet hence the hush hush. For what it’s worth I’ve heard that terms agreed with club and it’s personal terms now being finalised.