Kenzo Goudmijn - signed to 2028

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m perfectly calm but thanks for your concern. “Southgate” and “being exciting” aren’t words you hear together very often.

I remember one time that it did

Luke Shaw found it exciting when he was told that Southgate was going to select him for the Euro 2024 football squad 👍

He played a handful of minutes in the Conference league and qualifiers last year too. This seems like a promising signing, but I always find signings from the Netherlands (managers and players) can go unexpectedly poorly. Various examples in the Premier League in recent years. Hopefully that isn't the case with this lad!

2 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

He played a handful of minutes in the Conference league and qualifiers last year too. This seems like a promising signing, but I always find signings from the Netherlands (managers and players) can go unexpectedly poorly. Various examples in the Premier League in recent years. Hopefully that isn't the case with this lad!

Depends how he reacts when some thug from Stoke or Middlesbrough kicks him two feet off the ground.

If he can perform in those conditions he’ll be fine.

29 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I think it’s a gamble worth taking, despite our recent record with overseas signings.

Of course we don’t know how he will adapt to the pace and the physicality of English football, but for £600,000, the potential pros outweigh the potential cons.

In a year, he could be going back to Holland on loan or he could be being lined up by Bournemouth for a £10 million transfer. It’s the chance you take.

If we wanted a similar player with a similar track record here (youth international, top flight experience, technically good), we would have to wait until they had run down their contract or their fee would likely run into the millions.

The domestic market here is so inflated that for £600,000 we are only likely (not always) to get a player with a good track record in League 1 or 2 or someone from a established club who has a modest record and is essentially unproven.

Is that any less of a gamble than looking abroad?

29 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think it’s a gamble worth taking, despite our recent record with overseas signings.

Of course we don’t know how he will adapt to the pace and the physicality of English football, but for £600,000, the potential pros outweigh the potential cons.

In a year, he could be going back to Holland on loan or he could be being lined up by Bournemouth for a £10 million transfer. It’s the chance you take.

If we wanted a similar player with a similar track record here (youth international, top flight experience, technically good), we would have to wait until they had run down their contract or their fee would likely run into the millions.

The domestic market here is so inflated that for £600,000 we are only likely (not always) to get a player with a good track record in League 1 or 2 or someone from a established club who has a modest record and is essentially unproven.

Is that any less of a gamble than looking abroad?

Considering the fees a player like Alfie May has gone for you've got to say there is potentially way more value in the European market, that said you need to do your due diligence before signing I think a bit more there.

Being Derby fans we all know the gamble with signing any players, usually the ones we dont expect much from end up being the legends. The ones we expect the most from a lot of the time don't meet that expectation.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Depends how he reacts when some thug from Stoke or Middlesbrough kicks him two feet off the ground.

If he can perform in those conditions he’ll be fine.

Alberto Bueno was best for this. Looked like the fella who played for Madrid until an away game at Burnley in the ice, where Clarke Carlisle hit from behind with an awful tackle.  I think he'd have got straight on the plane after that.  Had zero interest whatsoever.

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Alberto Bueno was best for this. Looked like the fella who played for Madrid until an away game at Burnley in the ice, where Clarke Carlisle hit from behind with an awful tackle.  I think he'd have got straight on the plane after that.  Had zero interest whatsoever.

What a player he was technically. Fact he was slower than a tugboat stopped him hitting huge heights. That said, still had a good career after us.