Mathew Ryan - signed by AS Roma

Bubbles

44 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

I always thought Matty Ryan would be a long shot but I am concerned we have gone on a preseason tour with no goal keeper.

Most likey a case of Iverson vs Rodak now?

While Vickers wouldn't be my first choice, he's still a good option for this level. No goalkeeper is a *touch* dramatic.

35 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

While Vickers wouldn't be my first choice, he's still a good option for this level. No goalkeeper is a *touch* dramatic.

No first choice goalkeeper I meant. I think Vickers surely would be our number 2 as opposed to our number 1.

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

We wouldn't have got automatics if Vickers hadn't been injured. Desperately needed Wildsmith back in the team, but Warne wasn't going to make the call. 

Disappointed we haven't brought our new number one in yet. Sadly IMHO Vickers never looked up to it. Was hoping Trott, then Ryan. Either Iversen or Rodak would be fine, but the longer we wait the more desperate we'll become and the higher the price. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We wouldn't have got automatics if Vickers hadn't been injured. Desperately needed Wildsmith back in the team, but Warne wasn't going to make the call. 

Disappointed we haven't brought our new number one in yet. Sadly IMHO Vickers never looked up to it. Was hoping Trott, then Ryan. Either Iversen or Rodak would be fine, but the longer we wait the more desperate we'll become and the higher the price. 

Bit harsh on Vickers I thought he did ok, didn’t get the same rush of blood like Wildsmith 🙈 we still need a No.1 mind.

As we’re only 3 weeks from the start of the season, I can see Vickers starting as the number 1 regardless of who we bring in. He’ll have an understanding with the back 4 from training last season which he’ll be building on during this pre-season. It’s then his shirt to keep if he plays well enough.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We wouldn't have got automatics if Vickers hadn't been injured.

That's a bit dramatic too. Apart from Bolton at home when he pulled off that outstanding save, I can't recall Wildsmith being called upon to do anything dramatic.

Vickers had 4 wins, a draw and a defeat in his 6 games in goal, two clean sheets and only 5 goals conceded, a marginally better ratio than Wildsmith with no stupid penalties conceded. A match-saving performance at Lincoln. I'm not sure quite what people have against Vickers, because to me his performances were steady enough. He may not be championship standard, but I don't think he'd be a disaster either.

Edited by Crewton

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That's a bit dramatic too. Apart from Bolton at home when he pulled off that outstanding save, I can't recall Wildsmith being called upon to do anything dramatic. 4 wins, a draw and a defeat in his 6 games in goal, two clean sheets and only 5 goals conceded, a marginally better ratio than Wildsmith with no stupid penalties conceded. A match-saving performance at Lincoln. I'm not sure quite what people have against Vickers, because to me his performances were steady enough. He may not be championship standard, but I don't think he'd be a disaster either.

I feel the same I felt safer with Vickers in goal who was steady, rather than Wildsmith who was liable for the odd crazy decision or moment but would then pull off the odd world class save.

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Vickers had 4 wins, a draw and a defeat in his 6 games in goal, two clean sheets and only 5 goals conceded, a marginally better ratio than Wildsmith with no stupid penalties conceded. A match-saving performance at Lincoln. I'm not sure quite what people have against Vickers, because to me his performances were steady enough. He may not be championship standard, but I don't think he'd be a disaster either.

I also think it's harsh for people to assume that we saw the best version of Vickers, given everything he had to deal with during last season.

24 minutes ago, jenno said:

I feel the same I felt safer with Vickers in goal who was steady, rather than Wildsmith who was liable for the odd crazy decision or moment but would then pull off the odd world class save.

I was fine with Wildsmith being no.1, but I didn't see Vickers as a poor second choice and I don't think he let us down.

Wildsmith's handling was excellent, you could pretty much always rely on him to either hold onto a shot, or at worst stop it dead and grab it quickly at the second attempt. Any he couldn't hold were turned around the post out of play, or at least pushed out of danger.

Whilst Vickers didn't let anyone down, the times I saw him play he had that worrying knack of diverting the ball back into danger. Something that once noticed can't be unseen.

24 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Wildsmith's handling was excellent, you could pretty much always rely on him to either hold onto a shot, or at worst stop it dead and grab it quickly at the second attempt. Any he couldn't hold were turned around the post out of play, or at least pushed out of danger.

Whilst Vickers didn't let anyone down, the times I saw him play he had that worrying knack of diverting the ball back into danger. Something that once noticed can't be unseen.

Completely agree. I never felt totally confident about Vickers coming to claim crosses or commanding his area either.

Wildsmith made a couple of horrendous errors for us, but he was very strong in that department.

Edited by Scott129

To say we wouldn't have got promoted with Vickers in goal is bonkers.

Wildsmith made one unbelievable save against Bolton and that was it. Everything else head to do was routine. 

Vickers did not let us down at all and I did not feel once in trouble cos Vickers was in goal.

Wildsmith had a rush of blood as we know, there were goals (obviously I cannot remember all of them) but off the top of my head Blackpool away and Peteborough at home where he should have saved them. 

The command of his area talk im not sure of either. I remember this a few times (Pompey away he definately was in no mans land where Pompey nearly scored from a set play) but this one always sticks in my head.

Leyton Orient away. Ball circled in blue and the player who somehow didn't score this circled in yellow. I remember this ball coming in and saying what on earth is Wildsmith doing here haha. Can laugh about it cos we won 3-0.

But this always sticks in my head this one does. 

IMG-20231210-WA0004(002).thumb.jpg.6740826c8137a7a0e8c7f056b500876d.jpg

12 minutes ago, islandram said:

the original post was about a goalie that's signed elsewhere perhaps closing this thread will stop people arguing over pointless posts.

May as well shut the forum down then. Arguments over pointless posts are our lifeblood!