Transfer rumours

15 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

That’s the concern I have regarding the forward line…

Collins I’m not sure is going to score loads in the championship, Yates and Jackson seem decent options but not convinced will be main men.

Think we’re still missing a main man up front, but that costs big money! Or getting lucky with a good loan.

I don’t see any reason to be concerned at the moment.

The plan should be to have goals coming from everywhere, like Ipswich under McKenna last season but obviously on a much smaller scale.

If we say Collins, Yates, and NML are aiming for 10 each, and then 15 shared between Brown, CBT, Barkhuizen and Jackson, and 10 from midfield and defence combined, that’s 55 goals as a rough estimate.

Only four Championship teams in the bottom half scored more than that last season, so we won’t be alone in having those fears about where goals are coming from and wondering if we are destined to struggle.

However we can allay those fears if we have a good spine that improves the defence (Adams, a good replacement for Wildsmith, and competition for Cashin and Nelson) and a few players in the number 8/10 position who can add some variation and take the pressure away from Mendez Laing to be our only spark.

I honestly think we are 4-6 signings from looking good and a very interesting prospect.

Yates is a fox in the box and if given the service will score goals. Collo provides more physicality, will get about up top and is also able to find the back of the net. NML and Jackson should also contribute a fair few goals. Plus maybe another CF if we let Washy go and Brown on loan.

We need to strengthen in midfield but hopefully they can chip is as well. Then we have set pieces too!

28 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

Just personally do not see where the goals will come from 

People said that last season when we didn't replace Mcgoldrick. As it turned out, we were equal 4th highest scorers and the goals were shared around the whole squad virtually. 

If we get a CF who has a track record at this level, that would be ideal, but Warne made it work last season and I expect him to make us a goal threat again.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

The plan should be to have goals coming from everywhere, like Ipswich under McKenna last season but obviously on a much smaller scale.

If we say Collins, Yates, and NML are aiming for 10 each, and then 15 shared between Brown, CBT, Barkhuizen and Jackson, and 10 from midfield and defence combined, that’s 55 goals as a rough estimate.

Only four Championship teams in the bottom half scored more than that last season, so we won’t be alone in having those fears about where goals are coming from and wondering if we are destined to struggle.

However we can allay those fears if we have a good spine that improves the defence (Adams, a good replacement for Wildsmith, and competition for Cashin and Nelson) and a few players in the number 8/10 position who can add some variation and take the pressure away from Mendez Laing to be our only spark.

I honestly think we are 4-6 signings from looking good and a very interesting prospect.

I don’t see Collo, Yates and NML getting 30 goals between em or Brown, CBT, Barks and Jacko hitting 15, I think we’ll b lucky if we hit 2/3rds of that. But hey ho it’s early doors in the transfer window, and like you say no reason to be concerned yet, still plenty of time to add goals to the squad.

12 minutes ago, Crewton said:

People said that last season when we didn't replace Mcgoldrick. As it turned out, we were equal 4th highest scorers and the goals were shared around the whole squad virtually. 

If we get a CF who has a track record at this level, that would be ideal, but Warne made it work last season and I expect him to make us a goal threat again.

This. Same questions asked last summer and we were all a bit gutted when the striker never materialised. But in sharing the goals across the team it meant we rode our injuries better than we might with one main man. I’d still like another striker and part of me is hoping we’re saving the kitty for this. 

8 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I don’t see Collo, Yates and NML getting 30 goals between em or Brown, CBT, Barks and Jacko hitting 15, I think we’ll b lucky if we hit 2/3rds of that. But hey ho it’s early doors in the transfer window, and like you say no reason to be concerned yet, still plenty of time to add goals to the squad.

30 goals between 7 forwards? That’s a bit pessimistic, don’t you think?

If we get some added quality and creativity and Warne sets us up to attack, why is 55-60 goals scored not possible?

I mean, yes, we’re not blessed with the most historically prolific or proven set of midfielders or forwards, but equally the Championship often sees surprise packages and players who suddenly click and catch fire?

Think of Whittaker and Szmodics scoring so many last season without having any track record at Championship level before…

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

30 goals between 7 forwards? That’s a bit pessimistic, don’t you think?

If we get some added quality and creativity and Warne sets us up to attack, why is 55-60 goals scored not possible?

I mean, yes, we’re not blessed with the most historically prolific or proven set of midfielders or forwards, but equally the Championship often sees surprise packages and players who suddenly click and catch fire?

Think of Whittaker and Szmodics scoring so many last season without having any track record at Championship level before…

I think he was a midfielder prior to being shoved up top this season.  

2 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

That’s the concern I have regarding the forward line…

Collins I’m not sure is going to score loads in the championship, Yates and Jackson seem decent options but not convinced will be main men.

Think we’re still missing a main man up front, but that costs big money! Or getting lucky with a good loan.

I don't think there is such a thing, you look at Szmodics before last season: 

20/21 - 15 goals in League One with Peterborough
21/22 - 6 goals in the Championship with Peterborough
22/23 - 5 goals in the Championship with Blackburn
23/24 - 27 goals in the Championship with Blackburn

Yates has more of a track record:
20/21 - 20 goals in League One with Blackpool
21/22 - 8 goals in the Championship with Blackpool
22/23 - 14 goals in the Championship with Blackpool
23/24 - 8 goals in the Championship with Swanea

3 of the last four seasons, Yates has scored more goals. 

And most of the top goalscorers in the Championship, if you wanted to sign them today - the money and wages it would cost is insane. 

We really need to gamble on someone who has good technical ability, quickness and a relatively good minutes/goal ratio at different levels. Morgan Whittaker was prolific in youth football, so Plymouth took a chance on him despite only 8 goals in 78 appearances prior to his first loan move. The player we saw was technically gifted, had some quickness but significantly lacked presence. 25 goals in 65 games later, they want up £15-20m for him. Jay Stansfield is another: technical ability and quickness. He had a good year at Birmingham.

The bookies odds on the Championship top goalscorer prior to last season:
Vardy 6/1
Daka 9/1
Iheanacho 9/1
Akpom 10/1
Piroe 10/1
Armstrong 12/1
Che Adams 14/1
Bamford 14/1
Tella 18/1
Simms 20/1
Stewart 20/1
Chaplin 20/1
Yates 25/1
Broadhead 25/1
Hirst 25/1

Ironically, perhaps the only player we are really in the market out of the above - we've signed. 

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

10 each from Collins and Mendez-Laing is a bit optimistic since they started almost every game in L1 and got 23 between them. Next season, in a higher division, they'll have reduced game time, so I'll be pleased if they get more than 10 combined.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

10 each from Collins and Mendez-Laing is a bit optimistic since they started almost every game in L1 and got 23 between them. Next season, in a higher division, they'll have reduced game time, so I'll be pleased if they get more than 10 combined.

Agree, Collins even towards the end of the season wasn’t really scoring goals. Fitness was maybe an issue. Think he’ll be a bit slow for the championship. We’ll have less of the ball compared to last season so should play deeper and attack quicker as a result. Not sure that will help him.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I am not sure it’s a given that Collins and NML will have reduced game time or indeed that both of them will produce half the attacking output. I think both of them will remain key players and contribute well.

They were two of our top performing players last season and it’s all about confidence and momentum and how that might carry through into next season. The step up in quality is not as significant as is often made out, in my opinion.

Collins is coming off his most productive season in years, during which he was our top scorer and our main striker. He will also be especially motivated and have a point to prove to people suggesting he’s no longer cut out for the Championship. I think he could do very well and actually surprise many if we get the right players in the right places as a good foil for him.

Mendez Laing is coming off one of the most productive seasons in his career and he is playing in a set up where he is likely still first choice (given his record here) and especially as we haven’t signed anyone with a better record thus far.

23 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The step up in quality is not as significant as is often made out

au contraire, the evidence of just how many goals McGoldrick, Collins, Gayle & Rhodes (and some others in reverse) scored and the obvious difference in class would suggest there's a bigger gap than is made out.

Either way I'm not actually concerned about this upcoming season anywhere near as much as I thought I'd be, and I can see the logic and potential behind all of our signings so far,  so long may this attitude I've established (tbh I'm struggling for any potential positives IRL) continue.

I'd probably surmise that the physical gap isn't much different if at all but in terms of class they're miles apart.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Yeah I worry about that. Yates might work but seems a pretty large gamble if he's been lined up as first choice - he's not had the best of times at Swansea. And now we've resigned Collins that seems quite likely. We know what Collins brings, and I'm not sure he's going to have a huge impact in the championship. I'd personally have hoped there were better options available to us but we'll see what the rest of the window brings.