Transfer rumours

Just now, MadAmster said:

We do, indeed, need to play further up the pitch. I'm uncertain as to whether that dropping back is:

a) Warne's tactics

b) something the players just "do" once they get ahead

c) in some cases caused by the quality of the opposition

We have quality in this squad to get hold of games. Watfords team and Middlesbrough team there isn’t many I would take over our current crop. This group can take control of games no doubt. And if it is the players and not warne then I would be more worried that they haven’t been listening to the manager for 18 months as we did it last season too 

7 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We have quality in this squad to get hold of games. Watfords team and Middlesbrough team there isn’t many I would take over our current crop. This group can take control of games no doubt. And if it is the players and not warne then I would be more worried that they haven’t been listening to the manager for 18 months as we did it last season too 

Come off it. Watford and Boro’s teams are vastly superior in many areas. 

29 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Harness and Phillips are probably a level higher than I was expecting us to go for so I have to congratulate the club on getting them in the door. We now need to gel and gel quickly so we can start to claw our way to the 50 point mark. 

The transfer deadline coming just before a 2 week international break is ideal for us really (and the other teams).

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Especially Blackburn up top. Witness the 3 strikers they brought off the bench. All 3 scored when we were on top in the game. The best of them, Szmodics, has been sold.

Edited by MadAmster

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

The thing is how Warne talks about the game and tactics, how Rotherham set up and how he's set up with us so far are all extremely consistent with each other. Where it's veered from that it's mostly been surface changes in things like formation through necessity. 

It can essentially be summarised by playing ideally a 352, a team built and focused around athleticism and trying to outwork the opponent, always press aggressively and mostly on a 1-1 basis, don't keep the ball get it wide and forwards as fast as possible through whatever means and then cross it into the box as quickly as possible. We will look better or worse largely depending upon how easily the opposition gives the ball up, how easily they can stop or deal with crosses and how we compare in terms of athleticism and individual quality. My main issue with his approach is it's largely an overly simplistic boiling down of the game to athleticism and individual battles when at this level I think you need to do more.

Whether he has got more in his locker we shall see, my hopes is having to rely on Yates as a sole striker might force a bit of a change in ideas.

I take your point but feel the get it out wide (and we did do it a lot) was down to our midfield  which was neither hungry or quick. Then add in that Collins is more poacher than hold up and you end up with a leaning towards percentage football. I think we saw at the start of the season last year, that he did prefer a 352 but when players of certain types got injured or weren’t available he was comfortable switching it to 44 across the back and middle. My only criticism at the time was that he didn’t adjust sooner. You’re right though, we shall see. Despite supporting Warne and wanting us to be patient we will have to change if we are to prosper in this league in the medium/long term. I’m looking forward to seeing how Yates gets on  in on front of a home crowd today. Think the game will be interesting in many respects. 

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not in all areas we have a solid back line the midfield is full of quality. Ozoh will come good excited by goudmijn Osborn experience and Thompson has run the show previously in championship when given the chance. As I said some of there players I would but in most cases I wouldn’t. If we start taking control and being less negative and more positive we will be fine

There are a lot of teams in this division where we are going to have to accept they will dominate the game and we will have to defensively soak up the pressure - we are  a promoted league 1  side coming to terms with the championship. I believe all the new signings make us better but it will take time for them to develop working together and i dont think there will be many games this season where we can push forward as we will just get picked off.sadly we are not as good as many would like to think we are or should be.

11 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The window has been like a Game Of Thrones, started off great, went completely flat, ended alright.

Totally the opposite to how I saw it... started off with weaker characters, got better as it grew into itself then tailed off again.

GoT that is...

From looking at the squad list I don’t think we can get a free agent striker in. Even without Rooney registered I get it to 25 I think and that’s without brown. All under 21 year old loans have to be registered does anyone know anything different as I would assume now this is what we have until January 

53 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

From looking at the squad list I don’t think we can get a free agent striker in. Even without Rooney registered I get it to 25 I think and that’s without brown. All under 21 year old loans have to be registered does anyone know anything different as I would assume now this is what we have until January 

We currently have 26 players who would require registering in order to play.

Investigating the regulations in a bit more depth... the standard procedure is to name the squad list within 24 hours of the window closing (11pm tonight). However, when the deadline falls on a weekend, the EFL may allow an extension (11pm Monday).

It is my interpretation of the rules which allows a club the opportunity to register and de-register any player they want up until this deadline - someone can play today but be removed from the squad over the weekend.

After the squad list has been submitted, no changes can be made unless adding new players if a slot is available.

Players can still permanently leave us if another country hasn't closed their transfer window yet. For example, it doesnt close for another 2 days in the Netherlands and Denmark, 6 days in Belgium. A registered player leaving will open up another slot.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

I think a lot of people are interpreting the type of striker we were after incorrectly.

Lots of people referring to a big lump up top. But I don’t believe that’s what Warne was after. I think we we’re more interested in bringing in a poor man’s Drogba type, if you will.

A big strong mobile player that can hold the ball and link with the midfield, is what I believe we were after. However they are very expensive and in high demand, so we we’re after players that offered as many of the traits that those players have, but within our budget!

Edited by Ramarena

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We currently have 26 players who would require registering in order to play.

Investigating the regulations in a bit more depth... the standard procedure is to name the squad list within 24 hours of the window closing (11pm tonight). However, when the deadline falls on a weekend, the EFL may allow an extension (11pm Monday).

It is my interpretation of the rules which allows a club the opportunity to register and de-register any player they want up until this deadline - someone can play today but be removed from the squad over the weekend.

After the squad list has been submitted, no changes can be made unless adding new players if a slot is available.

Players can still permanently leave us if another country hasn't closed their transfer window yet. For example, it doesnt close for another 2 days in the Netherlands and Denmark, 6 days in Belgium. A registered player leaving will open up another slot.

So no free agent striker is incoming unless we don’t register 2 of the current crop 

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

So no free agent striker is incoming unless we don’t register 2 of the current crop 

Yep, if we go with what we’ve got then it’ll be Wash sitting out. 

If a striker comes in then it’s going to be Wash and probably one of Collins or Barks. 

2 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

It’s not just the players who manage to keep us up though. We need warne to start believing in himself and this squad and get us 10 to 20 yards further up the pitch 

The trouble is that 10 to 20 yards further up the pitch, leaves 10 to 20 yards more space to run into behind our slow defenders. But we need to retain possession better when we do get the ball, at the moment the opposition seem to get the ball back without much effort.

4 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

How much do you think we have spent? 
Do you think we have used the “sell on fees” we got over the summer?

Everything is undisclosed these days, but... 

Telegraph says we got £2.7 m from Bogle, Kellyman and Delap. Breaking that down I'd imagine Kellyman was full payment as if was a financial thing, Sheffield United probably made sure it was all up front for Bogle, but Ipswich won't have paid all up front for Delap so I'd say we can knock that down to £2m in the bank.

Players we've signed for fees, again undisclosed, Zetterstrom I've heard £1.4m-£2.2m, Adams I've heard £500k-£1m and even if its the top end I suspect a fair amount is based on clauses being met, Goudmijn seems widely reported as £600k.  I've no doubt the extra income is solely responsible for the Zetterstrom fee. So we've probably spent £2.5m on permanent deals.

They pretty much cancel each other out.

The Wilson, Washington and Fornah deals all had clauses I believe, and whilst some may be appearnce based I reckon promotion will have activated something - probably a couple of hundred thousand there.

I imagine all incoming loans are largely fee free - Ozoh and Chirewa is mutually beneficial for their development. Yates is probably a case of getting him off the wage bill to allow the money to be spent elsewhere. Harness would be unlikely to make Ipswich's final squad with both Clark and Ogbene joining in the past week. Phillips... well who knows? No permanent moves arose and he probably wouldn't have had a place allocated so he was farmed out into the shop window.

I'm sure that money is apportioned to specific pots but signing on fees, wage increases and such like may cause those pots to be moved around a bit.

In short, yes I think all our budget including the extras have been eaten up. Harness' wages are probably what was earmarked for a striker. We might be able to scrape a few quid left for a free agent purely out of necessity.