Transfer rumours

The amount of money a club can throw at players strongly correlates to the success of a football club nowadays. It's few and far between that a manager will influence the result of football matches to the degree that they punch well above their weight because they have superior tactics and motivational man management skills. Most teams are trying to play the same way, Tiki Taka and Pep football have shaped the style of play in England since the Spanish started to dominate domestic and international football competitions 

So I can see why you would play a more direct type of football to try and nick your wins if you tried to play the total football against a team worth twice as much over 46 games you'd just get outclassed. Just what happened to Burnley last year in the prem,didn’t work.

Stoke finished 9th in the prem ( I think the year lesta won) and we know how they played football, bet the fans loved it and I bet loads of people on the forums moaned their bag off, " if only we started playing pretty football where they could be, sack Pulis for a progressive manager"

We haven't got the money but do we have the patience, will never compete until we get the money we are limited to what we can do. Might aswell get behind the boys and try and influence as much as we can and celebrate every goal, point and moment we get

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

Appreciate some of you are going to slaughter me for even asking this, but can David Clowes afford to run a Championship club? And by that I mean, has he got the funds to compete with the other clubs in this way in this division? 

Appreciate there are rumours that he’s looking for investment, but perhaps running a Champ club is just a totally different beast to running one in League One, and perhaps we went up a little quicker than Clowes expected?

13 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

very interesting 

Would take Cooper. Met him in a pub in Hull in about 2015 and my mate asked him why he couldn’t get in the Leeds team. He said words to the effect of “the lads ahead of me are playing better, I’ll just have to work harder”. Warne will lap that sort of comment up 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Appreciate some of you are going to slaughter me for even asking this, but can David Clowes afford to run a Championship club? And by that I mean, has he got the funds to compete with the other clubs in this way in this division? 

Appreciate there are rumours that he’s looking for investment, but perhaps running a Champ club is just a totally different beast to running one in League One, and perhaps we went up a little quicker than Clowes expected?

I think you’re right but also that we need to be a bit patient. A season of stable mediocrity might not be a bad thing. 

We might hark back to these days should a billionaire buy the Derby Dodgers, dress us in red and pink and make 80% of the ground corporate 😊

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He clearly has the funds to be competitive at this level, but the room for error is small. I always thought we had more in a pot and that the approach in League One made sense as we would rebuild at this level. 

I anticipated more, I won't lie, we will have the third or fourth biggest revenue in the league outside the parachute payment clubs. Unfortunately the lack of resale assets means we don't have much room to buy and sell because the approach has been older players on short-term deals.

Edited by Ambitious

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think the problem for someone like Clowes is that there's an 'up front' requirement for investment (transfer fees, signing on fees) when you first get promoted. You need to assemble a squad who can compete at that higher level. In future years you should be able to get away with fewer signings, assuming you recruit well. 

This is particularly true when you get promoted the way we did - will a lot of older, battle-hardened pros, who seemed somewhere between Championship and League One in quality. By definition , that's a good level for League One but a bad one for the Championship.

Those players are unlikely to improve and tend to be hard to sell as well.

Edited by vonwright

1 hour ago, FKANorwichExile said:

Remember when we were trying to sign Joseph and he went to Oxford instead a couple of years back? It's no surprise really, they've been spending fairly well for a while.

Plus we get the "Big Club Derby" tax where it's assumed we can add a couple of hundred k to any possible fee.

Big club Derby tax , who wouldn’t want to play in front of 30,000 every week and state of the art training ground . All Mels B.S ? Do players give a fig any more ?

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

To add to that the comment about “not here to make up the numbers” suggests the intentions were to have a go not just survive. 

And even the clip used on the Rams Daily Podcast has David Clowes himself saying "I'm certainly excited and I think fans should be aswell"

I am currently waiting to see what for.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Sold season tickets though. 

“ We won’t sell as many season tickets in league one “, we did.

”We won’t sell many season tickets now we are still in league one “, we did.

” We won’t sell many season tickets with the new SKY ideal “, we did.

When will we ever learn eh.

2 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

What’s frustrated me the most about finances is the interview Clowes did where he said “we have a competitive championship budget” or similar

Why say that and get everyone’s hopes up when in fact, we do not?

Clowes is a great guy, but he doesn’t seem to be the type of guy who gambles or takes chances, which won’t take us far. Morris was ambitious, but had the wrong people around him. We signed poor players for substantial amounts of money. Spending f*** all will take us nowhere in the championship.

1 minute ago, RamInSweden said:

Clowes is a great guy, but he doesn’t seem to be the type of guy who gambles or takes chances, which won’t take us far. Morris was ambitious, but had the wrong people around him. We signed poor players for substantial amounts of money. Spending f*** all will take us nowhere in the championship.

You spelt naive and stupid a-m-b-I-t-I-o-u-s. I’d rather support a relegation battle than a phoenix club in division Z. 

8 minutes ago, valakari said:

Maybe sign him as the defender we need, although Fozzie plays well in the centre of our defence, so maybe not needed.

What we do need is a centre forward who scores goals...we have known this for 2 seasons..and yet here we are with 1 day left....very poor!

Every team needs a centre forward who scores goals, they tend to cost a lot of money though. Fozzy played well in the centre of defence... in League One.

4 minutes ago, et arietem said:

For what it’s worth. Just spotted a private helicopter on Flight Radar 24 taking off from Morley Hayes and landing at Coventry Airport. Any possible connections? 🚁 🐏 🚪

Mark Robins lives in Oakwood