UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

11 minutes ago, Alph said:

The cynic in me thinks the refs love their little spotlight moment. 

I'm so glad I don't really bother with football anymore. Every time I sit down to try and enjoy it you get this cack. 

VAR.... It should be so easy to implement. Yet you're still getting controversy? Wtf? 

I very rarely watch anymore, other then Derby, England and major tournaments.

VAR hasn't been too bad this tournament from what I've seen, it's only been the English officials making silly decisions.

21 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

When are referees gonna do something about these penalties it was just as bad as the one against scotland.

UEFA spokesman said on Thursday that "it wasn't a penalty" as Armstrong moved towards the defender...as intimated by a few posters on here, I said IFAB would get involved as they have to be seen to back their officials especially after Clarke called out the official for not giving it and also coming from Argentina.

I wonder when officials are going to start blowing for fouls as a good few are now being manufactured by either the above or sticking a leg in into an oppositions players leg to buy a free kick...commentators actually applauding their ability to do this...we call it cheating 👍  

Edited by Ram-Alf

5 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

UEFA spokesman said on Thursday that "it wasn't a penalty" as Armstrong moved towards the defender...as intimated by a few posters on here, I said IFAB would get involved as they have to be seen to back their officials especially after Clarke called out the official for not giving it and also coming from Argentina.

I wonder when officials are going to start blowing for fouls as a good few are now being manufactured by either the above or sticking a leg in into an oppositions players leg to buy a free kick...commentators actually applauding their ability to do this...we call it cheating 👍  

My original quote was not about whether it was a penalty or not it was about penalty takers stuttering or in Havertz's case twice in this tournament completely stopping momentum when he's taking the penalty. Lewandowski against France as well. If I was a keeper i'd be losing my sh** demanding he'd retake it. It's the most frustrating thing in football for me. 

This is a joke. I don't know how people still keep going with the sport. 

Biggest blight on the sport = diving and play acting. 

So they try to fix offsides and handballs. Make the game even slower. Even more stoppages. Less spontaneous. And still get stuff wrong anyway. 

Yet the sport is more popular than ever.... 

42 minutes ago, Alph said:

Human error wasn't exactly ruining the sport, was it? 

It's infuriating but we get over it. And it's not like VAR has eradicated it. 

We are at the point now where we measure to the mm and a split second moment can be made to look like a 30 second master plan to handle the ball. 

Most annoyingly it's not stopped pundits pouring over every decision and managers deflecting their own shortcomings onto referees. 

It doesn't protect referees. It gives the egotistical referees their little moment to shine. 

Wtf does it actually do? Who's it a winner for?

As Premier League clubs voted to keep it, those that are running clubs see it as a win.

Which raises the question why, my only thought is that they feel they are seeing a higher percentage of correct calls which means they are not being diddled out of points.

Points win prizes, prizes means money.

Despite Forest kicking off about VAR, appointing a Gladiators ref as a consultant, they still voted to keep it. I suspect he told them that yeah, they’ve had some shockers but you’re still getting more decisions correct than not.

Pre VAR the ref can’t have seen it, that was the assumption, the games too quick, he just didn’t see it.

Now, when you’re shown the replays and the match officials have seen said replays and still made the wrong call, that’s what’s so infuriating about it all.

Tonights handball decision was an absolute joke, a basic question needed to go through their head…..what the f*** could the Danish player do with his arm in that position? Nothing. It was completely natural given his body shape. Play on.

14 minutes ago, Day said:

As Premier League clubs voted to keep it, those that are running clubs see it as a win.

Which raises the question why, my only thought is that they feel they are seeing a higher percentage of correct calls which means they are not being diddled out of points.

Despite Forest kicking off about VAR, appointing a Gladiators ref as a consultant, they still voted to keep it. I suspect he told them that yeah, they’ve had some shockers but you’re still getting more decisions correct than not.

Pre VAR the ref can’t have seen it, that was the assumption, the games too quick, he just didn’t see it.

Now, when you’re shown the replays and the match officials have seen said replays and still made the wrong call, that’s what’s so infuriating about it all.

Tonights handball decision was an absolute joke, a basic question needed to go through their head…..what the f*** could the Danish player do with his arm in that position? Nothing. It was completely natural given his body shape. Play on.

The problem is that they brought var in in the same year that they brought the stupid silhouette rule in. They didn’t need the silhouette rule if they were bringing in var. the old rule was ‘was it intentional’. That’s a decision you can’t make in a split second. But you can make it with a replay. Handball should always be ‘is it intentional?’. They should just put it back to that, and then they can use VAR to make that call. 

7 minutes ago, Day said:

Football is a sport. It's entertainment. I think the VAR horde have lost sight of that. 

Maybe the younger generation will take this in their stride. But I don't think data crunching and measuring to the mm does more good than bad. Sure, it may be picking up on things refs previously missed but.... Do we actually care? 

I thought the biggest blight on the sport was diving, play acting and time wasting. These are things that ruin the enjoyment for everyone. 

The way the lady talked tonight, the way she was breaking it down to an exact science.... It's like having someone tell you James Bond wouldn't have survived that fall or been able to reload that fast. 

"In the 3rd phase.... within his silhouette.... a team of officials studied data..." 

It's football. Let it be fun. What's next? No refs, no linesman and just AI buzzing decisions. At that point there's not much point playing. Just settle games by crunching data. 

Nobody felt that Denmark's goal needed disallowing, on review I still didn't.

Nobody felt Germany deserved a penalty, on review I still didn't.

As Ange said they are re-reffing the game. Badly.

By eye....any benefit goes the attacking team with offsides, and any handball should be deliberate (whether that means making yourself bigger on purpose or whatever). 

Both decisions reviewed when they didn't need to be, and in the spirit of the game were then changed to the wrong decision.

Depressing A F.

The principle of VAR is sound in using it for clear and obvious errors.  The application is the problem as it is pretty much re-reffing the game based on theory rather than practice.  Where else is the Danish defender supposed to put his arm when he’s moving?  It’s sucking the soul and emotion out of the game.

Klopp’s right - nothing wrong with the principle, it’s the idiots using it.