2001 beat Germany

2002 beat Argentina

2005 beat Argentina

2008 beat Germany

2012 beat Italy

2016 beat Germany

2018 beat Spain

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Apologies for not realising that your top 8 changed in each tournament to fit your narrative. Even though you name checked Germany in another response, but added a different condition there about home soil.

So to sum up, we haven't beaten a top 8 (going into that tournament based on your ratings) side OR one on the traditional top 8 on foreign soil. In a knockout match. In your lifetime.

That is probably because, our players were vastly overated for years by a moronic fanbase and media. Then in Southgate's time we a) didn't play any in 2018 as lost to Croatia in Semis b) only played Italy in 21, and lost on pens c) Lost in a very close match to France with a Kane pen miss d) haven't played anyone yet in knockouts and if we do beat Italy or Belguim, you'll then say they aren't top 8.

Well the top 8 does change on a biyearly basis. Belgium for instance didn’t even qualify for tournaments for about 20 years, before having a golden generation.

Germany were awful between 2017-2023. They weren’t top 8, nowhere near. 

But as you put it, Southgate had an extremely favourable run in 2018 and 2020. Something Sven and Capello didn’t have.

I will credit Southgate and the England team when we claim a scalp. 

That doesn’t mean others can’t look upon him favourably. On paper he is one of our best managers ever.

But for me, that’s like being a paper champion in boxing. England under Southgate are like a Deontay Wilder.

And now we have become timid after losing our aura against better opposition.

Souhgate and England are in need of a big knockout or a big scalp.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

1980 beat Spain twice

1984 beat Brazil 

1986 beat Soviet Union

1987 beat Spain

1997 best Italy and France

2000 beat Germany

2001 beat Germany

2002 beat Argentina

2005 beat Argentina

2008 beat Germany

2012 beat Italy

2016 beat Germany

2018 beat Spain

Are you counting friendlies and nations league there?

When was the last time England beat a top 8 side in tournament knockout football (World Cup and Euros) on foreign soil?

I’m generally intrigued. Who was it? 

7 minutes ago, YouRams said:

His interview has riled me even more, delusional stubborn dinosaur of a man. He thought we played well and should take our chances am I living in a parallel universe?

How many chances did we actually create? I can only really remember the Palmer shot at the end as being anything approaching a decent chance....

8 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

We lack a Pirlo that can unlock a stubborn Slovenia, This lot can play better if given some freedom...like attack the wings.

Players of the quality of Pirlo are as rare as chicken teeth.  Quick technical wingers with support of a decent creative central midfielder and good forwards is the realistic aim of most teams for attacking success IMO.

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It's a mess really. All them attacking options & Southgate doesn't know what to do with them. He wastes a place to fit shaw in who can't be arsed to play all season. 

That's harsh on Luke Shaw because of the nasty leg break he got back in 2015 he hasn't been able consistently play full seasons year by year. When you've got a messed up leg i can imagine you get niggling muscle injuries. 

image.png

12 minutes ago, YouRams said:

His interview has riled me even more, delusional stubborn dinosaur of a man. He thought we played well and should take our chances am I living in a parallel universe?

I don't think the performance today was as bad as is being made out, and is more a reflection of how bad the Denmark game was.

The lateness of the Gordon sub was criminal though.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Are you counting friendlies and nations league there?

When was the last time England beat a top 8 side in tournament knockout football (World Cup and Euros) on foreign soil?

I’m generally intrigued. Who was it? 

Yes, you said we'd not beaten any on foreign soil?

2002 Argentina?

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Foden's free kick

Gallagher's missed header

Rice's shot

Not much but decent chances

I remember Foden's FK now, but I genuinely can't even remember the others. 

Bellingham's looked fairly anonymous across the last couple of games, I'd drop him back to play alongside Rice. Let Foden play behind Kane, and bring Gordon in on the left. 

I also don't think Trippier really works on the left. Too predictable at having to check back or cut inside, he can't take a man on on the outside.  

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't think the performance today was as bad as is being made out, and is more a reflection of how bad the Denmark game was.

The lateness of the Gordon sub was criminal though.

Second half was better but you know he'd rather go down with a sinking ship than admit he's wrong and change things which is infuriating to watch and listen to.

In fairness to Southgate, the biggest disappointments in his squad are the ones with the biggest reputations: Rice, Kane, Bellingham, Saka & Foden. Saka, I guess, could be put down to systematic issues where he’s just not suited, but the rest of them are showing themselves to be technically poor, the ball is not sticking, they look lethargic in their movement and heavy-legged. 

I’m not sure what he can do, really. Change the system would’ve been my vote but since he stuck with it and likely up against a good Dutch side next, he’s made his bed. All he can do his hope that the players dig themselves and him out of this rut. I just feel there’s too much to fix in such a short timeframe, even with the competency and willingness to do so. The only other hope is a fortunate run of games, situations (red cards, penalties) that play in our favour. 

55 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

With the current results it looks like England are on to play Spain in the 1/4 final.

Spain are a top 8 side.

So if we beat them, regardless of how we do it, Southgate and the England team should be applauded.

At the moment, it could be Netherlands in the 16s, Italy quarter-final, Belgium semi, then France/Germany/Spain final.