UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not the Graham Taylor days?

Football fans have always been critical, in the world cup 1990, they where calling for Bobby Robson to go, but after just getting through the group games, we went on to the semi finals, and lost again in a penalty shoot out against the Germans, Bobby was called a hero, a few weeks earlier, they wanted him out, it's how it's always been, by the way Derby centre half Mark Wright was excellent, alot questioned his inclusion in the team, but Bobby knew more than most do, especially the press and some off the most vocal fans. 

Ive looked at previous England squads going into tournaments and made the equation of how many of our players would get into say France, Germany, Argentina starting line ups and been honest about it. Its has not been many over the years.. always compared our best players to theirs and come up short against the likes of both Ronaldos, Zindane, Van Basten, Figo, Henry and many more.

This tournament I call Walker, Kane, Foden, Bellingham and perhaps Rice as starters for every team out there.

I love the fact that we have unknowns like Eze, Mainoo, Wharton, Gordon.

My emotion around this squads ability is uber positive.

Its a brave squad and now Southgate needs to be brave enough and savvy enough… it can happen. 

Thats the positive… 

At the same time with England I see a pattern that worries me. I give Mainoo as an example. 
Lovely player, keeps the ball and awareness around him is exemplery. Reminds me of Seedorf.

And 3 games into his England career he is already passing sideways and backwards!

One or two examples of when this didnt happen would be Gazza.. but in general we start to adopt a safe not brave mindset and Im fairly certain this is what costs us.

If we are in a quarter or semi final needing a goal to win I want to see every attacking player we have out there.

4 upfront and the holding mids gone…

Strap yourselves in… 

On 13/06/2024 at 10:39, StockholmRam said:

Ive looked at previous England squads going into tournaments and made the equation of how many of our players would get into say France, Germany, Argentina starting line ups and been honest about it. Its has not been many over the years.. always compared our best players to theirs and come up short against the likes of both Ronaldos, Zindane, Van Basten, Figo, Henry and many more.

This tournament I call Walker, Kane, Foden, Bellingham and perhaps Rice as starters for every team out there.

I love the fact that we have unknowns like Eze, Mainoo, Wharton, Gordon.

My emotion around this squads ability is uber positive.

Its a brave squad and now Southgate needs to be brave enough and savvy enough… it can happen. 

Thats the positive… 

At the same time with England I see a pattern that worries me. I give Mainoo as an example. 
Lovely player, keeps the ball and awareness around him is exemplery. Reminds me of Seedorf.

And 3 games into his England career he is already passing sideways and backwards!

One or two examples of when this didnt happen would be Gazza.. but in general we start to adopt a safe not brave mindset and Im fairly certain this is what costs us.

If we are in a quarter or semi final needing a goal to win I want to see every attacking player we have out there.

4 upfront and the holding mids gone…

Strap yourselves in… 

Agree all this.  Your comment on Mainoo is spot on.  He's one of the few players for Man U who, the minute he picks up the ball, he looks to go forward.  It's his game.  The same can be said of Foden, Eze, Saka and Gordon etc. What concerns me, as seen against a very defensive Iceland is although Southgate has picked potentially the best attacking in form players we currently have, if they're still coached to be cautious as has historically been the case with Southgate's England, then picking a very attacking squad could be moot.  I hope not as it has the potential to be incredibly exciting. 

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

Agree all this.  Your comment on Mainoo is spot on.  He's one of the few players for Man U who, the minute he picks up the ball, he looks to go forward.  It's his game.  The same can be said of Foden, Eze, Saka and Gordon etc. What concerns me, as seen against a very defensive Iceland is although Southgate has picked potentially the best attacking in form players we currently have, if they're still coached to be cautious as has historically been the case with Southgate's England, then picking a very attacking squad could be moot.  I hope not as it has the potential to be incredibly exciting. 

Wharton is a very progressive passer too. I've not seen that much of him, but from what I've seen I'd be willing to bet he's an England mainstay from the next World Cup onwards.

Link below is for highlights from the last time Scotland played Germany, back in the 1992 Euros. I actually remember the game and thinking at the time that Scotland had played out of their skins and could have drawn the match with better luck. You'd have to have Germany as favourites to win tonight, but I'll be rooting for our neighbours and I'd not be hugely surprised to see them nick a draw. I don't think Germany are the powerhouse they used to be and the Scots have some talented lads at their disposal.

Best of luck to any and all Scottish Rams in any case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/videos/czdd0gd3n1yo

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've come down with a serious case of Euros fever.

Me too. Can't feckin wait. I love tournament football and I for the first time in my life, I really feel we've as good a chance as any this time around. France the most likely winners IMO, but if our front 6 can click I really think we can beat anyone. A France Vs England final is the dream, with us edging a 5 goal thriller. 

8 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Me too. Can't feckin wait. I love tournament football and I for the first time in my life, I really feel we've as good a chance as any this time around. France the most likely winners IMO, but if our front 6 can click I really think we can beat anyone. A France Vs England final is the dream, with us edging a 5 goal thriller. 

International tournament football is genuinely one of humanity's best inventions. So good, particularly if you're from a country that's in with a chance.

I feel less confident than I did before the last Euros and World Cup. A few too many little things like injuries, squad selection doubts, inexperience, lack of balance, etc, are playing on my mind to be uber confident. But we've still got a great chance.

Win well on Sunday and the excitement will be through the roof.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

International tournament football is genuinely one of humanity's best inventions. So good, particularly if you're from a country that's in with a chance.

I feel less confident than I did before the last Euros and World Cup. A few too many little things like injuries, squad selection doubts, inexperience, lack of balance, etc, are playing on my mind to be uber confident. But we've still got a great chance.

Win well on Sunday and the excitement will be through the roof.

The back four are my concern. Folk have made a lot of a disappointing showing against Iceland, but I hate these friendlies immediately before a big tournament. The Icelanders were putting themselves about a bit considering it was meant to be a friendly, and that's understandable, but our lads looked like they were just trying to avoid getting crocked, or make the kind of catastrophic error that might see them slip from contention. We'll be a different beast in a meaningful game, I'm sure. As it is,  I've laid England at every major tournament for years now to offset the inevitable disappointment, but I won't be doing so this time around.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

The back four are my concern. Folk have made a lot of a disappointing showing against Iceland, but I hate these friendlies immediately before a big tournament. The Icelanders were putting themselves about a bit considering it was meant to be a friendly, and that's understandable, but our lads looked like they were just trying to avoid getting crocked, or make the kind of catastrophic error that might see them slip from contention. We'll be a different beast in a meaningful game, I'm sure. As it is,  I've laid England at every major tournament for years now to offset the inevitable disappointment, but I won't be doing so this time around.

@Day we need a St George reaction for the Euros.